LTE.... Roaming?

Kaixor

On my way home riding the bus in San Francisco, I look at my status bar and see something which left me completely confused.... LTE and extended (roaming) right next to each other. I did take a screenshot but I don't know to upload a picture via mobile so when I do get home I'll post the picture.

On my way home riding the bus in San Francisco, I look at my status bar and see something which left me completely confused.... LTE and extended (roaming) right next to each other. I did take a screenshot but I don't know to upload a picture via mobile so when I do get home I'll post the picture.

It means you are on Sprint LTE but roaming for 1x. It happens all the time.

Robert

Robert

Ah that makes sense, had my hopes up for a moment there :P

Still though, it was a very peculiar sight to see

Edited by Kaixor

Robert

Ah that makes sense, had my hopes up for a moment there :P

Hopefully it will happen for real in the near future, I'm still holding out hope that those RCA members work with Sprint to make reciprocal LTE roaming agreements.

Hopefully it will happen for real in the near future, I'm still holding out hope that those RCA members work with Sprint to make reciprocal LTE roaming agreements.

I doubt that we'll have domestic LTE roaming because of politics and money :(

Well hopefully we'll at least see global LTE roaming because of the GTI. Getting clearwire will allow sprint to take part in this.

Now if only if dish would stop getting in the way of the deal ;)

I doubt that we'll have domestic LTE roaming because of politics and money :(

Well hopefully we'll at least see global LTE roaming because of the GTI. Getting clearwire will allow sprint to take part in this.

Now if only if dish would stop getting in the way of the deal ;)

RCA members tend to be much more reasonable. Politics are basically a non-issue with them compared to the duopolists and money would be more likely to be moving to Sprint than the other way around.

Robert

Wouldn't that situation be unusual? Every tower that has Sprint LTE is at least a sprint 3G/1x tower and LTE needs a stronger signal so wouldn't it be the other way around (well no LTE roaming) but have voice coverage but possibly no data coverage at all?

Wouldn't that situation be unusual? Every tower that has Sprint LTE is at least a sprint 3G/1x tower and LTE needs a stronger signal so wouldn't it be the other way around (well no LTE roaming) but have voice coverage but possibly no data coverage at all?

No, not at all. With cell breathing on the CDMA network, it can shrink to the point where LTE travels farther. Also, a 1x site can be down, but LTE is still active. Also, at NV sites, LTE is being deployed with little to no downtilt, but the 1x does.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

No, not at all. With cell breathing on the CDMA network, it can shrink to the point where LTE travels farther. Also, a 1x site can be down, but LTE is still active. Also, at NV sites, LTE is being deployed with little to no downtilt, but the 1x does.

Going to read up more on cell breathing had not heard of it but now see what it does so that makes sense. You mention and I have seen elsewhere that LTE is currently being done with little or no downtilt right now. But I have seen downtilt will be increased :(. I used to never have cell or data service in my condo, now I have good phone and 4g service usually (1-2mbps down and up). I am on the 24th floor along lake michigan, will I likely lose my 4G service later? or maybe my inproved call connections? fyi, I have an airrave but its been practically useless my G3 almost never connects to it.

I believe I am connecting LTE through a completed site thru/around a building in the way to a completed 4G tower south approx 800 ft away. But netmonitor shows me connected for voice to a site north (not 4G yet) about 1500-2000ft north of me. fyi I face south in my highrise with walls of double pane windows south and east. I'd hate to lose data and hopefully not voice since I'd like to give up my landline. My internet acts up but usually use wifi.

Going to read up more on cell breathing had not heard of it but now see what it does so that makes sense. You mention and I have seen elsewhere that LTE is currently being done with little or no downtilt right now. But I have seen downtilt will be increased :(. I used to never have cell or data service in my condo, now I have good phone and 4g service usually (1-2mbps down and up). I am on the 24th floor along lake michigan, will I likely lose my 4G service later? or maybe my inproved call connections? fyi, I have an airrave but its been practically useless my G3 almost never connects to it.

I believe I am connecting LTE through a completed site thru/around a building in the way to a completed 4G tower south approx 800 ft away. But netmonitor shows me connected for voice to a site north (not 4G yet) about 1500-2000ft north of me. fyi I face south in my highrise with walls of double pane windows south and east. I'd hate to lose data and hopefully not voice since I'd like to give up my landline. My internet acts up but usually use wifi.

Downtilt will not be adjusted down until other sites come online making a denser signal. Also places with dense high rises are designed with 3D RF patterns to make sure the buildings get signals too. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1

Since you are an expert here, any idea why my S3 never connects to my airrave. Unfortunately the airraves are sort of messed up needing a gps fix, occasionally after turning off it gets one in about 1/2 an hour (plug in antennae) but loses it. I have clear view of the south sky and the closest building as tall as my place is 5-600 ft away. Even the plugin antennae can't keep a lock right up against the window. I even have placed it outside the window behind the screen and does not make much difference, does that make sense? I have 5ft+*17ft south facing windows in my living room with only aluminum around the windows. Should be perfect for a GPS lock?

fyi does a phone ever ignore an airrave if the tower is good enough? From CDMA Field Test, my cdma rrsi is -87dBM though the airrave is usually even more powerful in the past like -75, btw my LTE rsrp is -109 dBm

Since you are an expert here, any idea why my S3 never connects to my airrave. Unfortunately the airraves are sort of messed up needing a gps fix, occasionally after turning off it gets one in about 1/2 an hour (plug in antennae) but loses it. I have clear view of the south sky and the closest building as tall as my place is 5-600 ft away. Even the plugin antennae can't keep a lock right up against the window. I even have placed it outside the window behind the screen and does not make much difference, does that make sense? I have 5ft+*17ft south facing windows in my living room with only aluminum around the windows. Should be perfect for a GPS lock?

fyi does a phone ever ignore an airrave if the tower is good enough? From CDMA Field Test, my cdma rrsi is -87dBM though the airrave is usually even more powerful in the past like -75, btw my LTE rsrp is -109 dBm

I don't have any tall buildings around me, but I have my Airave in the middle of my house and it it has no problems catching a GPS signal through the ceiling and then through the attic/roof of the house. If the GPS is not locked the Airave will not function as it needs to know where it is at so it can set itself to the correct SID and frequency for the area.