Is Sprint Throttling LTE?

The only thing I can think of is an automated network management system that works tower or cluster-wide that utilizes bandwidth management when an area sees a high amount of use. I haven't seen any issues, but I live in a relatively small area compared to some bigger urban locations. From what I've read on NV, there are tools built into the network that help manage bandwidth to prevent the network from being brought to its knees. Does this happen all the time or only during peak hours?

The only thing I can think of is an automated network management system that works tower or cluster-wide that utilizes bandwidth management when an area sees a high amount of use. I haven't seen any issues, but I live in a relatively small area compared to some bigger urban locations. From what I've read on NV, there are tools built into the network that help manage bandwidth to prevent the network from being brought to its knees. Does this happen all the time or only during peak hours?

It happens all the time when I'm at home(pre NV 50kB/s speeds on 3g only), but I live next to i44 and three cities so the towers are most likely doing double duty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have noticed picture compression as well. In fact I can't recall a time they have not been compressed, I have seen this for a while. I am in a launched market and all that good stuff, new phone. On webpages I have noticed this since the hybrid PTT/PCS phone days.

Today I haven't noticed any image compression on the sites that I visited. This was in another part of town vs my first 2 tests. I'm assuming the practice of whether or not to compress images is tower site dependent and/or based on real-time network conditions.

I have seen this compression on images for at least a year on Sprint, not always related to tower congestion, it just happens. Sometimes they reduce image file size by over 90% which makes images look awful, not just on the web browser, but in apps like Engadget, Reddit, BBC News, CNN news.

If you don't like it, you can use a VPN on Sprint.

I have seen this compression on images for at least a year on Sprint, not always related to tower congestion, it just happens. Sometimes they reduce image file size by over 90% which makes images look awful, not just on the web browser, but in apps like Engadget, Reddit, BBC News, CNN news.

If you don't like it, you can use a VPN on Sprint.

Eh? How do you setup a VPN for cell phone?

Images on webpages seemed slightly compressed. But otherwise OK. Has anyone run into video streaming throttling to under 1 Mbps? I know it's in the fine print on the newer plans. I'm still on an Everything Data 1500 with a relative because I do a lot of Slingbox HQ streaming (3-4 Mbps sometimes). Otherwise, I'd switch to a Framily plan and recruit other people.

If you tether you will notice the compression. Its been like that for years. There used to be text when you placed your mouse cursor over an image to load the hi res version. Now im not so sure because I don't tether very often.

Images on webpages seemed slightly compressed. But otherwise OK. Has anyone run into video streaming throttling to under 1 Mbps? I know it's in the fine print on the newer plans. I'm still on an Everything Data 1500 with a relative because I do a lot of Slingbox HQ streaming (3-4 Mbps sometimes). Otherwise, I'd switch to a Framily plan and recruit other people.

I've been on the newer plans that include the supposed video stream throttling for a while now and haven't had it happen to me yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you're really bored, here's some technical background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Delay (CoDel), a partial fix folded into Linux kernel 3.5 and later.

you know, just wanted to thank you for this..

last night, i THINK i experienced this on my verizon fios wifi net..

using airdroid to download picture from the nexus 5 to my debian linux laptop..

i opened a second tab in iceweasel to load slashdot while that was in process, & slashdot wouldn't load!

i looked at conky to the right on my desktop & the upload / download graph was sky high..

after the picture zip from from airdroid completed, i refreshed the slashdot tab & things loaded as normal..

Edited by j'vai