Is Sprint Throttling LTE?

Anthony....sorry, 2Mbps.

Utiz....Band 41 pretty much blankets DFW. I have Band 41 to and from work. Haven't received less than 15Mbps on Band 41. Plus the average of 2Mbps on speed tests on the way home. Hard to believe people are bogging down the network on my way home.

Capacity on PCS LTE have been reached in most first and second round markets with speeds now falling below the advertised 5-12 Mbps and going into the Verizon overloaded network levels.

Band 41 and 26 are the most immediate fix to the issue which you experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Guest DigiClaws

Yes sir, except for one spot where it kicks over to band 25 for around a mile then kicks back to band 41. Not necessarily saying I'm being throttled but it's hard to believe I'm not with the low speed, on band 41, for a 25 mile drive. Maybe some crazy coincidence? I'll know in the morning. Just thought I'd share and discuss. Thanks all.

You stay on Band 41 the whole dive?

Underwater?  Awesome!  Call it "The Life Aquatic with Steve Elfman."

AJ

• Like 3

There ARE LOTS of Band 41 sites with old WiMax legacy backhaul.  Still needing to be upgraded to new backhaul.  It is not unusual to find Band 41 speeds between 2-10Mbps even when unburdened.  This is not a sign of B41 overloading or throttling.  Some markets have a lot more legacy backhaul B41 sites than others.  Last summer, about half the B41 sites in Denver had legacy backhaul.

Robert

• Like 5

Guest DigiClaws

On the way to drop my daughter off at the sister's house I ran a speedtest on band 41. 49 down and 2 up. I guess I'm back to normal. Still doesn't explain my phenomena of slower band 41 speeds last night on a 25 mile trek. Oh well. Good talk. Bring on band 10 & 25!

The sites I connect to and from work have an upgraded backhaul. Never got a speed below 15 down until last night. Must have been a fluke.

If you've never received 50-60Mbps from those sites, they do not have upgraded backhaul, yet. An unburdened legacy WiMax backhaul can run even 20-40Mbps in ideal situations. If you're finding highly variable B41 speeds, you're on legacy backhaul.

Also, in the Dallas area, Clearwire used a lot of long chain microwave. This can cause a lot of variability in performance. Especially at times when there are a lot of WiMax home ISP users online stressing the backhaul. Like evenings. If you were far away from the primary microwave/fiber interface and had a lot of home users along the MW chain (even if not a single one on your site) and the speeds would bog down.

Sprint is upgrading the Clearwire network backhaul to better support B41 speeds. In the case of long string microwave, it often involves bringing fiber to all the connected sites. As there are too many sites in the chain for an ultra high speed solution to be consistent at all the sites. You may even find the legacy backhaul will get even worse at peak times before things get consistently good at each site with upgraded backhaul.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

post-1894-139287692996_thumb.jpg

These are normal LTE speeds for me in Northwest/west San Antonio. None of the speeds shown had an LTE signal strength less than -85. And if I fall back to 3g, forget about it. Does anybody know what kind of issues we could be dealing with with these speeds? Backhaul, 1900mhz spectrum being saturated possibly?

I should add that I kept changing servers in an attempt to get better results, but it ended up making them worse.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by flyer8493

Simple overloading.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1392876927980.jpg

These are normal LTE speeds for me in Northwest/west San Antonio. None of the speeds shown had an LTE signal strength less than -85. And if I fall back to 3g, forget about it. Does anybody know what kind of issues we could be dealing with with these speeds? Backhaul, 1900mhz spectrum being saturated possibly?

I should add that I kept changing servers in an attempt to get better results, but it ended up making them worse.

• Like 1

http://s4gru.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif uploadfromtaptalk1392876927980.jpgThese are normal LTE speeds for me in Northwest/west San Antonio. None of the speeds shown had an LTE signal strength less than -85. And if I fall back to 3g, forget about it. Does anybody know what kind of issues we could be dealing with with these speeds? Backhaul, 1900mhz spectrum being saturated possibly?I should add that I kept changing servers in an attempt to get better results, but it ended up making them worse. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It will not improve anytime a soon for single band LTE devices. You will need a Triband device with Band 26 and Band 41 to get faster speeds. Band 25 airlink is overloading.  It is not backhaul. But Triband devices have access to tons more capacity.

B41 is already working on many San Antonio area sites. And B26 deployment will start soon. It appears you have an N5. So you just need to wait for the update. Although, you may be able to force it to run on the existing B41 sites if you flash the .15 radio. You can read more about that in our N5 thread.

• Like 1

If you've never received 50-60Mbps from those sites, they do not have upgraded backhaul, yet. An unburdened legacy WiMax backhaul can run even 20-40Mbps in ideal situations. If you're finding highly variable B41 speeds, you're on legacy backhaul. Also, in the Dallas area, Clearwire used a lot of long chain microwave. This can cause a lot of variability in performance. Especially at times when there are a lot of WiMax home ISP users online stressing the backhaul. Like evenings. If you were far away from the primary microwave/fiber interface and had a lot of home users along the MW chain (even if not a single one on your site) and the speeds would bog down.Sprint is upgrading the Clearwire network backhaul to better support B41 speeds. In the case of long string microwave, it often involves bringing fiber to all the connected sites. As there are too many sites in the chain for an ultra high speed solution to be consistent at all the sites. You may even find the legacy backhaul will get even worse at peak times before things get consistently good at each site with upgraded backhaul.Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

So robert for instance my job is between 2 sprint towers in the Miami area both says 3g/4g im not sure which one my device is connected since both are not far away from me but i notice im pulling from 20~30mbps and well the upload speed is crap from 2~6mbps i've never gotten to 50~60mbps so does that mean that the backhauls hasnt been upgraded yet even if my distance isn't next to the tower? I'm gonna try and visit both towers after work and run some test see if i would see higher speeds.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

It will not improve anytime a soon for single band LTE devices. You will need a Triband device with Band 26 and Band 41 to get faster speeds. Band 25 airlink is overloading. It is not backhaul. But Triband devices have access to tons more capacity.

B41 is already working on many San Antonio area sites. And B26 deployment will start soon. It appears you have an N5. So you just need to wait for the update. Although, you may be able to force it to run on the existing B41 sites if you flash the .15 radio. You can read more about that in our N5 thread.

Thx, I have not unlocked and I don't feel like re-setting up my phone so looks like I'll be waiting for the update :)

• Like 1

So robert for instance my job is between 2 sprint towers in the Miami area both says 3g/4g im not sure which one my device is connected since both are not far away from me but i notice im pulling from 20~30mbps and well the upload speed is crap from 2~6mbps i've never gotten to 50~60mbps so does that mean that the backhauls hasnt been upgraded yet even if my distance isn't next to the tower? I'm gonna try and visit both towers after work and run some test see if i would see higher speeds.

Those speeds are only available on the Band 41. You are connected to Band 25, which maxes out in the 30s. Sounds like you are getting a near ideal signal as is, doesn't get much better than that. 

Are you using a Triband phone?  If you are using a single band LTE device (B25), you cannot run faster than 37.5Mbps.  To get 50Mbps+, you have to be on a B41 site with upgraded backhaul.  B41 is only available to Triband LTE devices.

Robert

• Like 1

Those speeds are only available on the Band 41. You are connected to Band 25, which maxes out in the 30s. Sounds like you are getting a near ideal signal as is, doesn't get much better than that.

No sir negative im connected to band 41 always been and i have my flex at band 41 being the #1 priority heres a pic i just took to show you plus when im on band 25 i dont get those speeds i get speeds from 1~3mbps when im on band 25 sometimes even worst.post-6959-139292165296_thumb.jpg

Are you using a Triband phone? If you are using a single band LTE device (B25), you cannot run faster than 37.5Mbps. To get 50Mbps+, you have to be on a B41 site with upgraded backhaul. B41 is only available to Triband LTE devices.

Robert

Yes i am on a triband phone i have the lg g flex and i just posted a pic showing im connected to band 41 maybe the speeds im getting is because of the range of the tower i was guessing idk like theres 2 towers im between my job is located on 28street NW and 5th avenue one tower is at about 36street and 4th avenue and the other tower is at 20th street and about 6th avenue so both are not far away from me but i dont know how the range and such works.

Yes i am on a triband phone i have the lg g flex and i just posted a pic showing im connected to band 41 maybe the speeds im getting is because of the range of the tower i was guessing idk like theres 2 towers im between my job is located on 28street NW and 5th avenue one tower is at about 36street and 4th avenue and the other tower is at 20th street and about 6th avenue so both are not far away from me but i dont know how the range and such works.

If you get next to the site with a full signal and you aren't getting 50Mbps+ speeds on any of the three sectors, then the site probably hasn't had the backhaul upgraded yet to support it.  But it will still produce the fastest speeds the current backhaul is capable of.  Which in most instances is still pretty good.  The WiMax backhaul is for the most part decent, except in long chain microwave situations.

If you are getting 20-30Mbps with less than a full signal, then the sites could have upgraded backhaul.  Because LTE performance is signal strength dependent.  The performance degrades in proportion with the signal quality/strength.

Also, please update your device in your profile.  That would help us to understand what you're talking about.  Thanks!   :thx:

Robert

• Like 1

If you get next to the site with a full signal and you aren't getting 50Mbps+ speeds on any of the three sectors, then the site probably hasn't had the backhaul upgraded yet to support it. But it will still produce the fastest speeds the current backhaul is capable of. Which in most instances is still pretty good. The WiMax backhaul is for the most part decent, except in long chain microwave situations.

If you are getting 20-30Mbps with less than a full signal, then the sites could have upgraded backhaul. Because LTE performance is signal strength dependent. The performance degrades in proportion with the signal quality/strength.

Also, please update your device in your profile. That would help us to understand what you're talking about. Thanks! :thx:

Robert

Yea i noticed on the pic that the rsrp something like that its at -100dbm not sure if thats the signal strength but i know my phone is usually at 2~3 bars when im at work and at home it be at 0~2 bars and sometimes still pulling 15~20mbps at home so i guess its mostly the signal then and i totally 4got to change my device in profile will do that now.

No sir negative im connected to band 41 always been and i have my flex at band 41 being the #1 priority heres a pic i just took to show you plus when im on band 25 i dont get those speeds i get speeds from 1~3mbps when im on band 25 sometimes even worst.attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1392921652570.jpg

Update your device listing!

• Like 1

I've connected to and performed speed tests on 3 band 41 towers and usually have a mediocre signal around -100ish and usually see 20-36 Mbps and the highest upload has been just around 13 Mbps. I am not sure if that is a better backhaul situation or regular WiMAX level backhaul. It is pretty decent. I still haven't seen the 50-70 Mbps speeds that some have posted, though.

I've connected to and performed speed tests on 3 band 41 towers and usually have a mediocre signal around -100ish and usually see 20-36 Mbps and the highest upload has been just around 13 Mbps. I am not sure if that is a better backhaul situation or regular WiMAX level backhaul. It is pretty decent. I still haven't seen the 50-70 Mbps speeds that some have posted, though.

Their e-penis is bigger. Whatcha gonna do bout it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3