Network Vision/LTE - Upstate New York Markets - Central & East (including Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, Ithaca, Utica)

bstrignano

So a couple of months ago, I went to visit some folks in Binghamton and the service is relatively spotty in the area around Matthews street and Leroy St. So spotty that my parents wanted to inquire about switching to Sprint and getting a signal booster for their house and the Sprint store said they couldn't b/c there was no service there. Any idea as to why there's that dead spot in the middle of the city and if the NV upgrades will fix that?

That area near downtown Binghamton has had absolutely terrible service, I agree. There is one site in the entire county that is still not NV upgraded, and it's on top of the state office building (I believe) downtown. It's still rocking the legacy gear, and has a date of "TBD" for upgrades according to Sprint. 

Once this is upgraded, hopefully by 2015, the Downtown Binghamton area shouldn't be as bad as it is now. 

Sprint was wrong saying there is no service though, I don't think there are any "dead" zones at all, especially not on their coverage map. It's just that indoor service is probably very bad around that area if I had to guess, with really bad 3G speeds due to this one site.

Also, a few months ago, 1x800 wasn't turned on in this area, and it is now. Your parents might actually have usable 1x800 inside their home now - I believe it just got optimized. Then, once downtown is upgraded, 3G and LTE will be usable from their area. 

• Like 1

Sprint was wrong saying there is no service though, I don't think there are any "dead" zones at all, especially not on their coverage map. It's just that indoor service is probably very bad around that area if I had to guess, with really bad 3G speeds due to this one site.

Also, a few months ago, 1x800 wasn't turned on in this area, and it is now. Your parents might actually have usable 1x800 inside their home now - I believe it just got optimized. Then, once downtown is upgraded, 3G and LTE will be usable from their area. 

The coverage map actually does show that little sliver as roaming. Check it out, it's kinda  unreal. It's one block north of Riverside Dr by Matthews and Leroy. Still showing as roaming only service according to the sprint coverage map.

The coverage map actually does show that little sliver as roaming. Check it out, it's kinda  unreal. It's one block north of Riverside Dr by Matthews and Leroy. Still showing as roaming only service according to the sprint coverage map.

Whoa, I never looked at it that closely before. That's terrible! 

But, I don't think these maps have been updated for Binghamton ever since NV happened, they don't even show LTE yet and the whole area is launched. Once the maps update, I'm assuming that won't say roaming anymore since we have NV gear everywhere and 1x800, so maybe they'd have luck getting an Airave then. 

Whoa, I never looked at it that closely before. That's terrible! 

But, I don't think these maps have been updated for Binghamton ever since NV happened, they don't even show LTE yet and the whole area is launched. Once the maps update, I'm assuming that won't say roaming anymore since we have NV gear everywhere and 1x800, so maybe they'd have luck getting an Airave then. 

I may try getting them an airave here in ABQ when they come visit in a couple of weeks. May have better luck by then and with the ABQ CS folks.

LTE at the state fair is slow as expected, but works perfectly fine. That iDEN conversion along side Onondaga lake makes a huge difference over last year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Im using a boost mobile gs3 on the coverage map chittenango got some lte why cant I pick it up

The coverage map is poor. I'm in Chittenango several times a week and there is no Sprint LTE there yet.

The Binghamton market is 100% upgraded! Our little problem site downtown has finally received NV upgrades. Now it's only a matter of time before it, like the other sites here, receives LTE and 1x800 acceptance. Now I know where those ALU guys have been hanging out the past few weeks, maybe they'll get on optimizing the LTE 800 soon. :-) 

I may try getting them an airave here in ABQ when they come visit in a couple of weeks. May have better luck by then and with the ABQ CS folks.

Coverage down Riverside drive might be a bit better now given the recent update. 

• Like 4

The Binghamton market is 100% upgraded! Our little problem site downtown has finally received NV upgrades. Now it's only a matter of time before it, like the other sites here, receives LTE and 1x800 acceptance. Now I know where those ALU guys have been hanging out the past few weeks, maybe they'll get on optimizing the LTE 800 soon. :-) 

Coverage down Riverside drive might be a bit better now given the recent update.

If anyone goes by that area, please let me know.

If anyone goes by that area, please let me know.

I went to check out the speeds last night just for kicks, it was actually pretty terrible. 0.01Mbps down with a 600 ping on 3G :-) The backhaul probably hasn't changed with the new equipment install. But coverage most likely increased a little bit with the NV antennas. Can't vouch for it yet, but next time I'm down riverside drive I'll pop down one of those neighborhoods and see.

The subscriber density and amount of MVNO customers down there are probably overloading the site immensely.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went to check out the speeds last night just for kicks, it was actually pretty terrible. 0.01Mbps down with a 600 ping on 3G :-) The backhaul probably hasn't changed with the new equipment install. But coverage most likely increased a little bit with the NV antennas. Can't vouch for it yet, but next time I'm down riverside drive I'll pop down one of those neighborhoods and see.

The subscriber density and amount of MVNO customers down there are probably overloading the site immensely.

wow, surprised how quickly 1x800 has been deployed around BGM. Unfortunately, the two towers closest to my parents still don't have 1x800. I'm really hoping that the 1x800 will fix the sliver of BGM they live in and give them good service. They are strongly considering joining my family plan.

wow, surprised how quickly 1x800 has been deployed around BGM. Unfortunately, the two towers closest to my parents still don't have 1x800. I'm really hoping that the 1x800 will fix the sliver of BGM they live in and give them good service. They are strongly considering joining my family plan.

It definitely lit up very quickly. With the new NV equipment on the downtown site, your parents house actually might have improved 1xRTT and usable 3G now. Prior to this it was old legacy gear, which explains the whole problem in the past.

I’ve definitely noticed more LTE coverage around Glens Falls/Queensbury the last couple of days. Tuesday, I tried watching a 60-second YouTube video and couldn’t get through it without a lot of buffering. The next day, in the same location and same time of day, I noticed the LTE icon in my status bar and got over 11 MB/sec down on a speed test. Unfortunately, the LTE stops just before it reaches where I live.

Does any one know if they been working on the tower in chittenango lately?

I didn't see any work done or even the site equipment but when I was at burger king earlier this week on lunch my eHRPD signal was much stronger than in the past. It varied -60 to -70 inside.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I was able to track down the site that was broadcasting b41. Its on burnet ave near midler ave. Only one sector was broadcasting but I was getting signal from it at shoppingtown mall and still managing 15mbps down. I was surprised at how far away I was still connecting. I checked several other sites and they all had 8T8R panels installed but none of them were live. I haven't seen anyone doing work on any of these sites but the equipment wasn't there a month ago.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK...special deal for those of you in the Upstate NY Central or East markets. 

For a $50 PayPal donation tonight, I will make you a custom schedule map for this market or any market.  Get some personalized info and help support S4GRU!  Make the $50 donation, and reference in the notes which market you would like to receive.  Or $100 and the two markets you want to receive.

I will do your map(s) before I go to bed tonight, so you will have them no later than the morning.  You will need a Gmail address, because I will share the maps to you via Google Docs.  The schedule maps include every upgrade planned for every site in the next 6 months.  CDMA 1900 & 800, as well as LTE 1900, 800 and 2600 (B25, B26 & B41).

All donations will count toward your Sponsor, Premier Sponsor and Honored Premier Sponsor status.

I'll bite, I look forward to seeing what is lined up for us.

Looks like the Binghamton market full-build sites are finally all LTE! Network.sprint.com is showing an LTE acceptance on the downtown Binghamton "problem-site" finally. About time. Downtown was the most unusable place in our whole market. 

Hopefully 800 LTE is activated... quickly. It's been dismal there for 2-3 years, I hope they didn't lose too many subscribers because of this. 

Also, maybe this will spur on the LTE800 optimization this market has needed since mid-Summer. :-) We've been slathered in non-optimized B26 for quite some time now. 

• Like 2

Looks like the Binghamton market non-GMO sites are finally all LTE! Network.sprint.com is showing an LTE acceptance on the downtown Binghamton "problem-site" finally. About time. Downtown was the most unusable place in our whole market. 

Hopefully 800 LTE is activated... quickly. It's been dismal there for 2-3 years, I hope they didn't lose too many subscribers because of this. 

Also, maybe this will spur on the LTE800 optimization this market has needed since mid-Summer. :-) We've been slathered in non-optimized B26 for quite some time now. 

Your in the same boat as the rest of us, give it time....

What a difference a year has made. Last year when going to Crunch games at the war memorial, LTE was spotty at best and I had better luck getting data to work leaving my phone on 3G only mode. For the first four games this year LTE has been rock solid and averaging 10-20mbps. I can't wait to see how well it performs at the upcoming Frozen Dome Classic when the Crunch crush the Comets with a crowd that is supposed to set an AHL attendance record  :hah:. If they can get B41 up and running around the dome in time I expect Sprint to easily outperform AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile.

• Like 1

Your in the same boat as the rest of us, give it time....

However, every single site here is now LTE - I'm wondering if that has something to do with when optimization starts. Maybe it's only worth it to the teams if they can do everything at once.

I expect Sprint to easily outperform AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile.

And that is the best feeling in the world.

I went downtown last night to test out the new LTE... Didn't drop to 3G once on the way there and got 8Mbps down once I was in the middle of town. So the site is definitely heavily loaded down there, bring on the extra bands!!

• Like 1

I connected to 1x800 for the first time today since March/April today up near OCC. I'm not sure why it disappeared for so long but I'm glad to have it back online and available to use. If only LTE 800 would make an appearance now to complement the B41 that's been popping up all over the CNY area.