Network Vision/LTE - Upstate New York Markets - Central & East (including Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, Ithaca, Utica)

bstrignano

Today I thought I would try unplugging my airave since most of the area in and around Syracuse had some mass CDMA 800 acceptances a little while ago. For some reason, my Nexus 5 won't connect to any of it at home. It will try and hang on to a -110 connection or end up dropping altogether. A while ago when I was running the .15 test radio I used to connect to 800 every time I would drop from LTE at home to make or receive a call. I'm not sure what's going on or why I can't connect to it anymore but it's a little disappointing. I've been wanting to get rid of my airave since it eats up a device slot on my account. I thought it might be a problem with my phone but I pulled my EVO LTE out of the drawer and it won't connect to 800 either. Any idea what the problem might be, or how to even report it?

It's probably not optimized yet. Before optimization the antennas will be at full downtilt and lower power levels. Once optimized, they get tilted up for a broader swath, and power increases. 

Right now, most of the upstate NY 800 acceptances are probably not very good. I know down in Binghamton the 1x1900 has far greater coverage. My phone barely ever hits 1x800, and certainly not at the fringe of 1900mhz service..... yet. Just a matter of time. 

It's probably not optimized yet. Before optimization the antennas will be at full downtilt and lower power levels. Once optimized, they get tilted up for a broader swath, and power increases.

Right now, most of the upstate NY 800 acceptances are probably not very good. I know down in Binghamton the 1x1900 has far greater coverage. My phone barely ever hits 1x800, and certainly not at the fringe of 1900mhz service..... yet. Just a matter of time.

I used to connect to it just fine, long before any of the acceptances. I would get around a -85 rssi signal even in my basement. Now without the airave it sits at -110 to -118 and then drops. Every time my nexus would make or accept a call while on LTE it would fall back to CDMA 800 while I was on the .15 radio. My EVO LTE would also camp on it.

Actually I haven't seen a peep put of smr either in Syracuse. I'll normally tower switch between about five different towers at home all with a varying 1x -100 to -104 signal on calls. Its possible though that they may be accepted but still broadcasting the test sid?

Or the switch isn't parking us on them yet.

I'll give it a couple of weeks.

Actually I haven't seen a peep put of smr either in Syracuse. I'll normally tower switch between about five different towers at home all with a varying 1x -100 to -104 signal on calls. Its possible though that they may be accepted but still broadcasting the test sid?

Or the switch isn't parking us on them yet.

I'll give it a couple of weeks.

Maybe it is using the testing sid. I set my EVO LTE's radio to SMR and the only thing it found was my airave's 800 beacon. Unplugging the airave had nothing showing up. Interestingly enough, even with the radio band set to SMR, as soon as it saw the airave's 800 broadcast it would still connect to it's PCS signal.

IMG_20140801_195142-1.jpg

I think the 8T8R panels have been installed in Endicott @ Skye Island Drive. They do not function yet, however. Can't pick up B41, never have seen it. 

The second rack down is Sprint, am I correct in thinking those are 8T8R B41? 

Never thought our market was gonna see band 41, this is exciting. 

• Like 2

IMG_20140801_195142-1.jpg

I think the 8T8R panels have been installed in Endicott @ Skye Island Drive. They do not function yet, however. Can't pick up B41, never have seen it. 

The second rack down is Sprint, am I correct in thinking those are 8T8R B41? 

Never thought our market was gonna see band 41, this is exciting. 

I see all of thoese are now in Syracuse, we dont have them in Rochester yet. 

• Like 2

I've seen quite a few as well, however not a peep of anything save b25. Being that Syracuse is a current wimax market perhaps its time. I just have no idea where there clear towers are, I'll have to check out antennasearch for their locations and scout a bit.

I've seen quite a few as well, however not a peep of anything save b25. Being that Syracuse is a current wimax market perhaps its time. I just have no idea where there clear towers are, I'll have to check out antennasearch for their locations and scout a bit.

All the clear tower locations in Syracuse show up on their wimax coverage map. Its not exact but you can find most of them pretty easily.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Found LTE coming from a newly launched site today. I was at auto zone in Fairmount/camillus area (west side of Syracuse) and noticed I connected to LTE. I don't know where it was coming from, but it was performing really well. -100 signal level and 18 down 5 up.

I just noticed that central ny specifically oneida ny is now covered with 4G.  However on my Galaxy SII I am not getting signal.  I can connect to 4g in other places like syracuse ny successfully.  Is this area still in the installation stage?

You are using the wrong device to connect to Sprint 4g lte. The Samsung s2 is a Sprint wimax device which a different air interface than what Sprint has deployed in the last 2 years. You would need to update to a Sprint lte device. Preferably one that is tri band capable to receive the benefits of new and expanded Sprint lte service coverage.

• Like 2

I just noticed that central ny specifically oneida ny is now covered with 4G.  However on my Galaxy SII I am not getting signal.  I can connect to 4g in other places like syracuse ny successfully.  Is this area still in the installation stage?

Well if you are using an galaxy s2 on sprint then that is a 4g wimax capable device.  The current map will show 4g lte coverage, not wimax.  Looks like its time for an upgrade.

• Like 2

You are using the wrong device to connect to Sprint 4g lte. The Samsung s2 is a Sprint wimax device which a different air interface than what Sprint has deployed in the last 2 years. You would need to update to a Sprint lte device. Preferably one that is tri band capable to receive the benefits of new and expanded Sprint lte service coverage.

Well if you are using an galaxy s2 on sprint then that is a 4g wimax capable device.  The current map will show 4g lte coverage, not wimax.  Looks like its time for an upgrade.

Merged Topic

Also, since you appear to be new here... I don't want you to think these two are trying to troll you into buying a new phone. You can find out more here about the Sprint Galaxy SII (Epic 4G Touch):

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-Epic-4G-Touch_id5537

If you drop down to the data area, you'll only see EV-DO Rev.A and WiMAX. Sprint's latest 4G network in LTE.

• Like 1

Found LTE coming from a newly launched site today. I was at auto zone in Fairmount/camillus area (west side of Syracuse) and noticed I connected to LTE. I don't know where it was coming from, but it was performing really well. -100 signal level and 18 down 5 up.

I was over that way this afternoon - sadly it must be in testing phase as I was still on 1900 evdo-a.

Once the rain stops this way I'm gonna start to photograph the 8t8r's that have been up (but not in use) for quite a while now... I'm wondering if we were a converted Clear market to LTE before New Sprint came into existence and we're just a bit out from some band 41 goodness...

It seems like they are waiting to turn them on in clusters, un like lte on 1900. They don't seem to be allowing access to each individual site

September would be a good month for this. If Sprint activates 8T8R sites in a massive wave across the US, the iPhone 6 deployment (triband) will be buttery smooth and really take some load off of the B25/26 antennas when people upgrade from their old single and dual-band iPhones.

Maybe that's the goal - I never thought I'd see 8T8R in Upstate NY Central this year but they've really gone nuts with it.

• Like 1

Just a status update for the Endicott/Endwell/Binghamton area....

1x800 seems to be popping up a lot more in my home in Endwell, however B26 LTE is still a few dBm weaker than B25 when it finds it. I wonder if 1x800 can be optimized separately from 800Mhz LTE? It sure seems like that's what happened.

1x800 used to be weaker than 1xRTT in my home, and now it is usually 10dBm stronger (as it should be) when it kicks in. So that seems complete now.

In any case, the whole Binghamton/Vestal/Endicott area is very well covered by B25 LTE now since I think they're all optimized. Driving around I don't see 3G much anymore. And eCSFB seems to be fine, finally. Just waiting for that B26 optimization and the remaining 8T8R panels to be popped on to the sites, as I'm only aware of the Skye Island Dr. site in Endicott having them installed at this point.

• Like 1

I wonder if 1x800 can be optimized separately from 800Mhz LTE? It sure seems like that's what happened.

Yes it can.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro