Network Vision/LTE - Upstate New York Markets - Central & East (including Syracuse, Albany, Binghamton, Ithaca, Utica)

bstrignano

Sooooo close to NYC, but yet so far, hope you upstate guys start seeing more of this!

In Buffalo..

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1581260232

Looks like CA is live.

Actually we have dual carrier band 41 according to scp. Not certain if its aggregated as my Sprint device is a lowly OG nexus 5. At my house when I swap between band 41 carriers (inside, mind you right around -100 to -105) I get somewhere around 20/5 or so.

Just come on band 26!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Actually we have dual carrier band 41 according to scp. Not certain if its aggregated as my Sprint device is a lowly OG nexus 5. At my house when I swap between band 41 carriers (inside, mind you right around -100 to -105) I get somewhere around 20/5 or so.

Just come on band 26!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Where are you located? I was almost certain NYC was still waiting on Wimax shutdown.

If your referring to upstate, yes, CA is live and this speed test and others in this thread pretty much confirms that.

• 6 months later...

I was rooting for the underdog but there taking there sweat ass time to provid lte east of Fayetteville and its bs. Nxt month im giving up on sprint

Agreed. I've been counting on the GMO sites to get converted for four years now to no avail. I don't think this market will ever get touched and have been seriously considering ATT or Tmo in September when my contract is up. 

At this point, it doesn't seem like any movement will ever occur, but I would love to be proven wrong! I'm a huge Sprint fan but as long as I live in this area, it's growing increasingly more difficult. 

• Like 1

Candor, NY has LTE! This is/was a GMO site, came as a complete surprise to me driving today. Not sure if it went full build or GMO LTE, though. 

Maybe this is indicative of the start of GMO conversions in the very rural upstate sites. There are a few other sites on rt96 that still need LTE but this is a great start. 

• Like 3

Candor, NY has LTE! This is/was a GMO site, came as a complete surprise to me driving today. Not sure if it went full build or GMO LTE, though. 

Maybe this is indicative of the start of GMO conversions in the very rural upstate sites. There are a few other sites on rt96 that still need LTE but this is a great start. 

I hope this is the start of something much bigger. There are way to many GMO site in the upstate NY markets

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was rooting for the underdog but there taking there sweat ass time to provid lte east of Fayetteville and its bs. Nxt month im giving up on sprint

The progress in the Syracuse area is painfully slow, if I didn't still have a SERO plan I would have jumped ship long ago. As it is I barely ever use more than 3gb a month and I never use the phone subsidy so the main thing keeping me is that the mvnos typically don't get roaming access and have limited data speeds. I suppose on a Verizon or AT&T mvno roaming is a bit of a non issue though. It's just a shame that Sprint does not seem to care about this market at all. There's just no excuse for me seeing so much 3g halfway through 2016.

So even though for primary service I jumped a while ago I had to take a road trip to Ithaca for work a few days ago and thought I'd pull out my ring plus line and map some of the way. I'll say this: even though the lack of LTE right outside the island of Syracuse coverage has not changed since launch, at least backhaul and capacity for 3g seems to be at least a t1 level.

Now, for miles on 17 and whatever the road is near Verna to ithaca there wasn't even 1x data in places it at least used to exist.

More and more our market is smacked by it's ground mount everything issues.

Funny though. I keep on checking back for positive change. I want things to get better. I'm just terribly shocked at their glacial pace.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Service seems to have gone downhill a bit since all of the progress that was made last year. Two b41 carriers are live most of the place in Syracuse but it hasn't helped much if you aren't very close to a macro site. I've also been constantly dropping to 3g all over the place with constant data time outs while on LTE. I thought maybe my Nexus 5 was just showing it's age but I've been bringing my hotspot and tablet along and all three devices have trouble all over the city and surrounding area's.

• 3 months later...

LTE Plus 2500 Mhz might be coming to oneonta NY. I found this request for a special permit. Can anyone help me make a little more sense

out of it. 

http://www.oneonta.ny.us/files/5214/7861/9454/20161017_PBMins.pdf

Sounds like you might be right!

If the site is already a Sprint B25/B26 site, 3 new antennas and RRUs would be required for B41 deployment. 

Sounds like you might be right!

If the site is already a Sprint B25/B26 site, 3 new antennas and RRUs would be required for B41 deployment. 

Yes this site has had B25/26 since 2012. There are 2 sites that cover the down/city and than 2 slightly outside the city limits but still in the town. These only have 3G, I'm hoping they eventually get LTE so congestion on the inner two goes down and coverage is better. 

• 1 month later...

So for some reason I still have a Sprint line, I sent a complaint last year to marcelo@sprint.com and got a call back from executive relations.  At that time they told me unfortunately there were no plans to upgrade any of the 3G-only towers in the Syracuse area.  I was all set to cancel my line (and I still might), so I thought hey I'll check in with executive relations before I do.  So this time around, they called me back and had a response from engineering that they have a project to upgrade the remaining 3G towers in the next 6-8 months, subject to weather related delays.

So take that for what's it worth, the lady I spoke to knew absolutely nothing about technical stuff and was just repeating the email that was sent to her.  But I guess this is a positive sign.  I didn't even bother to ask about B26 LTE in this area, I know the IBEZ has slowed it down but I would have thought by now we'd see some movement.  I'm pretty sure I've seen some 800mhz CDMA along the thruway, not sure how that is allowed but B26 LTE apparently isn't?

• Like 1

It makes sense that they want to get these remaining sites tackled in 2017 if VoLTE is around the corner for 2018-2020. I'd imagine that this probably holds true for all of Upstate NY's remaining 3G sites. There is one rural 3G site down here in the Binghamton market that recently had fiber ran to it but not hooked up. They'll probably hit it in the springtime I imagine.

It makes sense that they want to get these remaining sites tackled in 2017 if VoLTE is around the corner for 2018-2020. I'd imagine that this probably holds true for all of Upstate NY's remaining 3G sites. There is one rural 3G site down here in the Binghamton market that recently had fiber ran to it but not hooked up. They'll probably hit it in the springtime I imagine.

Which site is this?  

Which site is this?

AL33XC725, between Owego and Endicott. Access is from Day Hollow Road, I drive by every day and have been looking at a wrapped fiber cable dangling from the pole for months now. They were running it down the road over the summer and stopped right where the tower access gate is.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How is updstate New York on band 41 .. I heard a buddy of mine saying .. still lots of band 41 missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The coverage map @ Sprint.com/coverage tells all, just look for LTE Plus areas. Most major cities in Upstate NY have it. Where in particular?

How is updstate New York on band 41 .. I heard a buddy of mine saying .. still lots of band 41 missing

Nothing in the Albany area (or anywhere in the eastern half of NY north of about Kingston) for B41. It's better in the western part of the state, I believe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man I hate when Sprint does not stay consistent with their GCI. I was in Ithaca, NY thinking hey look B41 but no it was just a messed up GCI 011A3Cxx B25 and B26. Because of the 011 it was believed to be B41. Not sure if it being colocated with clearwire was the problem I thought 011 was in Cleveland(Clearwire) but it got me excited for a minute. Traveling down US 15 was painful in to PA.

• Like 1

Man I hate when Sprint does not stay consistent with their GCI. I was in Ithaca, NY thinking hey look B41 but no it was just a messed up GCI 011A3Cxx B25 and B26. Because of the 011 it was believed to be B41. Not sure if it being colocated with clearwire was the problem I thought 011 was in Cleveland(Clearwire) but it got me excited for a minute. Traveling down US 15 was painful in to PA.

I did the US-15 drive a few weeks back and was also incredibly disappointed…especially because Nextel covered that highway pretty well…

• 1 month later...

The I-81 GMO corridor from Scranton to Binghamton seems to have LTE in a lot of places now. It used to be 3G-hell, and seems very usable now. Something has definitely happened in the last month or two. 

• Like 1