Jellybean OTA coming to the S3 10/25

Ascertion

How I updated npn rooted stock device to the new Jelly Bean Zip.

1st down load app to your computer. http://android.clien..._LI3_to_LJ7.zip

2nd "I" took the SD card out of my phone and put it into a card reader and plugged that into a USB port on my computer

Once I made sure that the zip was there I put the SD card back into my phone.

3rd I turned off the phone

4th I held the up volume button, the power button, and the home button at the same time until I saw a flash that said Samsung and let all buttons go immediately.

The phone goes into update soft ware mode and a screen appears with blue writing and yellow at the bottom.

Choose the update from external SD drive option

The blue writing has source files that you can update, and you must pick the update that has the zip L7 file by using the volume up or down key

Once you scroll down to the zip file that is the L7 Jelly Bean update hit the power key and wait until the update is done and reboots.

you are now an updated SG III Jelly Bean user congratulations.

This is for those that think they are to lame or is afraid of making a go of this. Don't be afraid it is really this simple and works.

I hope this helps you un rooted people do what I at 1st thought may be impossible or would ruin /brick my phone. Well let me be the 1st to say don't be afraid to do this NOW!

At 1st glance the settings on the drop down menu is one of my 1st favorite likes.....no more hitting the auto brightness box by mistake when using the settings key form the drop down. Now I am signing off to explore the JB greatness.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE THIS ZIP! NOWWWWWW!

Yup..I couldn't wait any longer and had to do it manually.

I haven't received the OTA. But that might be because I cannot find my GS3. Seriously. I have so many devices now that I'm losing them. DOH!!!

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

OMG Im so jelly!!! I wish I can afford to have a "first world problem" of so many devices.

• Like 1

Upgraded... little snappier. Samsung + Sprint are rocking it this year.

Yup, I noticed pretty much instantly that the responsiveness improved~ very nice

The download is the real update and you can just download it to your phone. I put the download in the root of my external sd card and ran it from there.

As long as your phone is stock, you can install it from within the stock recovery.

• Like 1

Is the download the official update? Can I download from my phone or does it have to be downloaded from a pc for some reason?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

. You can do it from your phone. You need to download a file explorer to move the zip file to the SD card. I got tired of waiting and that's how I updated mine.
  • Like 1

. You can do it from your phone. You need to download a file explorer to move the zip file to the SD card. I got tired of waiting and that's how I updated mine.

No file Explorer needed. I just used the My Files deal.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

No file Explorer needed. I just used the My Files deal.

I've only had my phone for a week I didn't even realize I had that on my phone Lol. I have a question though is it normal for the boot animation to say Samsung 3 times?

Hmm.. i dl with dolohin and cannot fir the life of me get it onto sd. I even dl on my pc and it will not let me copy it over. I'm dling on my phones browser now to see if it will dl to the sd

Hmm.. i dl with dolohin and cannot fir the life of me get it onto sd. I even dl on my pc and it will not let me copy it over. I'm dling on my phones browser now to see if it will dl to the sd

Just downloaded, clicked copy, and hit paste on the sd card folder.

I've only had my phone for a week I didn't even realize I had that on my phone Lol. I have a question though is it normal for the boot animation to say Samsung 3 times?

Yep shows up 3 times for me. Once as soon as the power goes on, the animated one, and one after the Sprint animation. My phone just happened to restart when I was messing with the Google Music widget.

Yep shows up 3 times for me. Once as soon as the power goes on, the animated one, and one after the Sprint animation. My phone just happened to restart when I was messing with the Google Music widget.

Yeah, mine cycled a few times and gave me some errors at first (I didn't realize it was still doing updates in the background after the initial update and android is upgrading app 1 of 298 messages)

I'm glad its working though. I don't seem to drop out of coverage as often and/or the handoff to roaming is damn near seamless

I don't have an external SD card in my GS3 yet. I copied the zip file onto the phone in the Download folder, but I don't see a way to get to it when I boot into the update mode screen.

Is an external SD card required to do it this way or can I place the zip file somewhere on the base filesystem and update from there?

Has anyone gotten the update through the phone rather than downloading it from the web? I checked for an update, but nothing is coming up. Yet anyway.

Yes, several folks have reported getting the OTA, including my manager. Like other Sprint/Samsung upgrades, this rollout seems to be randomized.

Samsung must do it differently from HTC. With the EVO, as soon as you heard about people getting updates you could go into settings, check for the update and pull it down. If you waited for it to be pushed, it could be away but you could always initiate on your own. Guess you can't initiate the update on your own with Samsung.

I don't have an external SD card in my GS3 yet. I copied the zip file onto the phone in the Download folder, but I don't see a way to get to it when I boot into the update mode screen.

Is an external SD card required to do it this way or can I place the zip file somewhere on the base filesystem and update from there?

Maybe it'll work if you drop it in the cache folder, since I think it gets downloaded there by default.