Sprint Launches Direct Connect Android App

marioc21

Here's the press release:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2439

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), October 24, 2012 - Sprint (NYSE: S), the industry’s push-to-talk pioneer and market leader, today announced the launch of Sprint® Direct Connect® Now, a downloadable Android application that enables push-to-talk capabilities on the Kyocera Rise and additional devices, including the LG Optimus Elite™, coming soon.

Dangit...you beat me to it.

I wonder how much DC will cost, whether MVNOs will be allowed to use it, and how quickly LTE phones will get it (ahem, GSIII).

It says on the Google Play Store website that it will be $5/month for users that don't have SDC now.

Heh, anyone remember, months ago, when the Samsung Transform Ultra was supposed to get this? Now it's Rise-only, and coming to the Optimus Elite...

Makes me wonder why they don't just allow it on all Android devices already. Did a deal with Sammy fall through, and now they've got a contract with Kyocera and Motorola? Hmm...

The $5/month is also a bit worrisome, but unsurprising. If they wanted to, they could include this in all Data rate plans for free (or run a promotion), allow it on all Android phones, and try to bring back the chirp in a big way. I don't think they want to, though. SDC has always seemed so... begrudging to me.

It's being rolled out slowly because it's likely a strain on the network if they suddenly open it up to hundreds of thousands of android phones all at once. Can you imagine what would happen if everyone downloaded it and hit PTT trying to talk with Nextel+ android phones? Would misty likely crash it and crash it hard+ fast.

They are catching plenty of flak about it though, just like the "**Me" app, it's free to download but cost a monthly fee.

I've seen no schedule for which phones, only an assumption that only above a certain Qualcomm chip will be able to handle it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

How is Sprint's 3G network going to be able to handle any sort large uptick in VOIP traffic until Network Vision passes through?

It apparently isn't very much traffic per customer; it works fine on 1x and Roaming.

The DC Now app isn't just software. It leverages hardware in the device as well. The Transform Ultra, Optimus Elite, and Kyocera Rise all use the Qualcomm MSM8655 chipset. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that if the chipset does not support something internally then it won't work. I think after the first NDC on Sprint devices, they don't want to push a truly inferior product out by using software only. NDC and SDC still remain the only sub-second PTT solution I have ever used.

It's not going to work on any other device except the ones that Sprint has authorized it for. The biggest thing is that if you use it, they have to provision your account for DC service and if you don't have one of the three devices listed you don't get provisioned. Then you face not having the chipset that the app is designed to work on, because for now it's locked to certain chips. Pulling the .apk won't do any good.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The DC Now app isn't just software. It leverages hardware in the device as well. The Transform Ultra, Optimus Elite, and Kyocera Rise all use the Qualcomm MSM8655 chipset. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that if the chipset does not support something internally then it won't work. I think after the first NDC on Sprint devices, they don't want to push a truly inferior product out by using software only. NDC and SDC still remain the only sub-second PTT solution I have ever used.

Interesting, that's the same chipset as the Motorola Admiral.

Which, according to Wikipedia, that same chipset is in the HTC EVO Design 4G, the Samsung Conquer 4G, and the ZTE Fury. I would think it likely we'd see SDC on those devices in the near future, no?

Which makes me wonder, if it's Qualcomm-based (obviously as it's qChat), will we be seeing it on other Snapdragon-based phones, such as the EVO LTE, the Photon Q, or the Galaxy S III? Only time will tell, I suppose. Just pontificating.

Interesting, that's the same chipset as the Motorola Admiral.

Which, according to Wikipedia, that same chipset is in the HTC EVO Design 4G, the Samsung Conquer 4G, and the ZTE Fury. I would think it likely we'd see SDC on those devices in the near future, no?

Which makes me wonder, if it's Qualcomm-based (obviously as it's qChat), will we be seeing it on other Snapdragon-based phones, such as the EVO LTE, the Photon Q, or the Galaxy S III? Only time will tell, I suppose. Just pontificating.

Since it is qChat based, it should basically reach almost all of Sprint's current line-up of Android devices, and even possibly the iPhone down the road. However, I thought the Android app was only software based, not hardware based.

• Like 1