Ehrpd? LTE Underway?

Ok guys, I usually use my phone to play battlefield late nights. I noticed that after the longest of times of running into evdo type connections with my Evo lte... I all of a sudden get something called ehrpd with the LTE enabled in network. When I change it to cdma only... It only says evdo! The speeds are also terrible with lte/cdma setting. Does this mean NV is somewhat underway or am I just being thrown on another tower or something?

I don't know that I'd say that exactly; I interpret it as sort of the 'prelude to NV' from what Robert explained. Basically its a sign that the process has started, but the very beginning/initial stage of that process. Based on his latest update to my region it will probably be at least 3 more months before LTE is actually live here, if not more akin to 5. I'd be surprised to see LTE lit up here before the first towers and launch announcement for Nashville (city) proper anyway (though I'll be happy to be proven wrong on that assumption).

Edit: the above was in response to Kao, just to avoid confusion.

• Like 1

I don't know that I'd say that exactly; I interpret it as sort of the 'prelude to NV' from what Robert explained. Basically its a sign that the process has started, but the very beginning/initial stage of that process. Based on his latest update to my region it will probably be at least 3 more months before LTE is actually live here, if not more akin to 5. I'd be surprised to see LTE lit up here before the first towers and launch announcement for Nashville (city) proper anyway (though I'll be happy to be proven wrong on that assumption).

Edit: the above was in response to Kao, just to avoid confusion.

All I need at 2mb down & 1 up... I just want to tether & play battlefield 3. I'm glad it's begun tho... I thought ehrpd meant super speed compared to evdo

All I need at 2mb down & 1 up... I just want to tether & play battlefield 3. I'm glad it's begun tho... I thought ehrpd meant super speed compared to evdo

I hate to be a downer, but there is no way you are gonna be playing BF3 with a LTE connection and survive. Especially against someone like me. "WebsterRC"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I hate to be a downer, but there is no way you are gonna be playing BF3 with a LTE connection and survive. Especially against someone like me. "WebsterRC"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah even on NV/LTE the ping would be way to high for decent gaming....

Why would you play an online game through a tethered cell connection? That sounds horrible and you should feel bad.

Actually, data for online games only use around 25mb an hour, so it doesn't cause much harm. However, you'll need decent latency to have a good time.

Actually, data for online games only use around 25mb an hour, so it doesn't cause much harm. However, you'll need decent latency to have a good time.

I guess you haven't been on BF3 with a server hosting up to 64 players, and shooting, and driving flying, and blowing things up. 25mb is gone in 10 minutes.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I guess you haven't been on BF3 with a server hosting up to 64 players, and shooting, and driving flying, and blowing things up. 25mb is gone in 10 minutes.

No, but I've played an online mmorpg with over 200 players in a single area fine. 25mb/hr was about the average use.

No, but I've played an online mmorpg with over 200 players in a single area fine. 25mb/hr was about the average use.

there is a big difference between a rpg game and a fps game

there is a big difference between a rpg game and a fps game

There was another member on s4gru that tethered his 4G LTE to his Xbox and played Call of duty on it, he said he hardly used any data and that the gameplay was smooth.

I guess I'd have to look at how much data it uses sometime in the future.

There was another member on s4gru that tethered his 4G LTE to his Xbox and played Call of duty on it, he said he hardly used any data and that the gameplay was smooth.

I guess I'd have to look at how much data it uses sometime in the future.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1636-xbox-live-over-lte/page__hl__%2Bxbox+%2Btether__fromsearch__1

Found the thread on it.

Why would you play an online game through a tethered cell connection? That sounds horrible and you should feel bad.

I've played Battlefield 3 on ps3 with WiMax plenty times lag free. I played just last night about 1am with a 1.1 down & like 6-8kb up... With a 130-145 ping. 2 down and 1 up is more than enough. I've even played lag free on a 51 ping with 15kb down and 16kb up on shitty ATT cheap... Cheap... CHEAP WIFI. Trust me... Tethering battlefield is more than possible given a decent ping (130) and a steady data download and upload

For gaming, the amount of latency isn't nearly as important as the amount (or lack thereof) of jitter. The latency on LTE will be low enough in most areas, but I haven't seen LTE long enough to do any latency testing for jitter. With that said, I've gamed on EVDO, and it works well enough in some games, poorly in others, but you can have regular ping spikes of 25ms+, which is what kills you. It's hard for a server to keep time sync with you (the client) when your latency is all over the place.

There aren't a whole lot of connections out there bringing better latency than the 50-60ms NV LTE is bringing. Data speeds would definitely be fast enough to do it too.

Jitter is either caused by latency or connection hiccup or computer hiccup. Wireless always has the potential to give a connection hiccup(momentary loss of connection) as there are many factors like sitting between towers or wireless taking multiple paths etc.

Lastly, while it's very possible to use your Sprint connection for things like this, Sprint service should not be considered for home Internet usage. They will be cracking down on high usage of data post network vision, especially if they suspect it's done using a free tethering plan.

I know I've said and others have said some areas have gotten eHRPD that may not get LTE for quite a while. But Baton Rouge got eHRPD this morning. There's supposed to be some work in the area but I haven't had the time to go look at the towers that are scheduled yet. Seeing eHRPD in the Baton Rouge "forgotten" market is very shocking.

There aren't a whole lot of connections out there bringing better latency than the 50-60ms NV LTE is bringing. Data speeds would definitely be fast enough to do it too.

My direct fiber connection at work can get sub 10ms pings some times. Best ping ever? 4ms. Seems impossible. The speed test server in ABQ must be immediately adjacent to our backbone connection point. Because if I run a speed test server in Texas, it will jump to the 20-30ms range.

It blows my mind to have latency this fast. Even 100ms is really fast if you think about it.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I know I've said and others have said some areas have gotten eHRPD that may not get LTE for quite a while. But Baton Rouge got eHRPD this morning. There's supposed to be some work in the area but I haven't had the time to go look at the towers that are scheduled yet. Seeing eHRPD in the Baton Rouge "forgotten" market is very shocking.

Part of me wonders if the LTE 800 FIT will be in BTR? It makes sense with their site spacing. However, they can only deploy LTE 800 in a place where they can shut off all iDEN traffic. Unless they shunt it all in the area to 900. Which I guess they could do.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner