a LTE, or an LTE???

S4GRU

I have a question. It's a grammar question. I learned that in the case of LTE, you would use the article "a" before it and not "an", because LTE does not start with a vowel.

So I would say (or type), "I upgraded to a LTE device." In my mind, it would be improper to say, "I upgraded to an LTE device." Granted, I went to military schools for most of my grade school education, but this is what I learned.

I recognize that phonetically LTE sounds like "ell-tee-eee" and therefore many people fall back on using the article "an" because in their mind LTE sounds like it starts with a vowel. It actually sounds better if it is said aloud to use "an" because it sounds like it starts with a vowel. Kind of like El Camino.

My question is this...is using the article "a" proper and anyone using "an" in the instance of LTE is incorrect? Or is it completely acceptable with English rules to use "an" when the noun in question phonetically sounds like it starts with a vowel, even if it does not?

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I can help here. The rule is based on the word's sound, not spelling, so "an LTE" is correct. Consider the opposite case, such as the word "unique". "A unique" is correct because it begins with the consonant Y sound.

If you don't know how to pronounce the word, you're hosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

A quick Google search and I find the following reference page:

http://www.gpuss.co.uk/english_usage/a_or_an.htm

The first thing they say is "There are two schools of thought..." meaning both are correct. Language is funny like that anyways, as it is less hard and fast than many people would leave you to believe.

Personally, I say "an LTE".

• Like 2

Simply say "I purchased a mobile telephony device that supports 3GPP release 8 data connectivity" and you can avoid the whole issue!

• Like 7

I recognize that phonetically LTE sounds like "ell-tee-eee"...

Wait, wait, wait. You mean it is supposed to be pronounced like "el-tee-eee"? And here all along I have been saying it as "lit-eh."

;)

AJ

• Like 1

At least, GSM is pronounced like "jizz-um," right?

AJ

• Like 5

Wait, wait, wait. You mean it is supposed to be pronounced like "el-tee-eee"? And here all along I have been saying it as "lit-eh."

;)

AJ

You have no idea how many people I've had ask me what I think about the "New EVO Lite" (or light, or whatever they're thinking). People's brains put an extra letter in there to try and make sense of it.

As a side note, I'd say most people around here still have no idea what the differences between an SD card and a SIM card are.

As an aside aside, an SD, a SIM. That's how I say it, anyways. es-dee, sihm.

I can help here. The rule is based on the word's sound, not spelling, so "an LTE" is correct. Consider the opposite case, such as the word "unique". "A unique" is correct because it begins with the consonant Y sound.

If you don't know how to pronounce the word, you're hosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. I've always done it this way, and I tend to be a stickler for correctness in the written word. I've certainly never heard of anyone being corrected and told this way was wrong, either. And, since I would never say it the other way, I always have relied on choosing the article based on the most common pronunciation.

How about this, get "an LTE device" or get "a long term evolution device". LOL, the english language is pure garbage anyway.

You have no idea how many people I've had ask me what I think about the "New EVO Lite" (or light, or whatever they're thinking). People's brains put an extra letter in there to try and make sense of it.

As a side note, I'd say most people around here still have no idea what the differences between an SD card and a SIM card are.

As an aside aside, an SD, a SIM. That's how I say it, anyways. es-dee, sihm.

The guys at the radioshack by me were saying the same thing, "Evo Lite". Sounds stupid as hell everytime I hear it.

• Like 1

My pop always pronounces WHY-FY as WIFF-EE which drives me crazy.

I've got a friend who says that sarcastically... I didn't know anyone actually did that seriously.