Network Vision/LTE - Indianapolis Market

omega

Went over and talked to the workers today. He works for a company named Sratos Communications. They are based out of Brownsburg, IN. They did some of the work in Chicago while waiting for central Indiana to be ready for work. His crew will be doing the digging (see picture above) but a separate group from his company (the Civil Division) will be doing the actual fiber connection. His crew will also be wiring up the base cabinets. They are going to be building a platform to replace the current structure on the tower. The crane is scheduled to arrive on Thursday. The panel/RRU are already assembled, but still boxed up.

Interesting side note of the conversation. His company is being contracted out by a company name "Black Beach" or something similar. I couldn't quite make it out with cars driving by and other background noise, This company (Black Beach) is behind schedule on deployment. From the way he described it, Samsung is getting a little impatient with "Black Beach" not getting the work done as fast as expected. If this company doesn't get caught up (I am not sure if he was referring to Indianapolis or all of Samsung's deployment area) by March Samsung will be taking back control of the roll out from that company and handle it themselves or through a different contractor.

• Like 3

Went over and talked to the workers today. He works for a company named Sratos Communications. They are based out of Brownsburg, IN. They did some of the work in Chicago while waiting for central Indiana to be ready for work. His crew will be doing the digging (see picture above) but a separate group from his company (the Civil Division) will be doing the actual fiber connection. His crew will also be wiring up the base cabinets. They are going to be building a platform to replace the current structure on the tower. The crane is scheduled to arrive on Thursday. The panel/RRU are already assembled, but still boxed up.

Interesting side note of the conversation. His company is being contracted out by a company name "Black Beach" or something similar. I couldn't quite make it out with cars driving by and other background noise, This company (Black Beach) is behind schedule on deployment. From the way he described it, Samsung is getting a little impatient with "Black Beach" not getting the work done as fast as expected. If this company doesn't get caught up (I am not sure if he was referring to Indianapolis or all of Samsung's deployment area) by March Samsung will be taking back control of the roll out from that company and handle it themselves or through a different contractor.

It's Black & Veatch. ;)

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

It's actually a division of Black & Veach called Overland Contracting (OCI). Other markets are using General Dynamics, Nexius, and Samsung Network Services has started handling some markets as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

• Like 2

It's Black & Veatch. ;)

...which has its headquarters across the street from the Sprint Campus in Overland Park. Yeah, it is quite a wonder how Black & Veatch gets any Sprint contracts.

AJ

• Like 3

And if you think that I am exaggerating at all about their proximity, just scroll around a bit from this intersection:

http://goo.gl/maps/fv4GS

AJ

• Like 1

And if you think that I am exaggerating at all about their proximity, just scroll around a bit from this intersection:

http://goo.gl/maps/fv4GS

AJ

I was in Overland Park working at the campus in May and the B&V building is practically right across the street from one of the entrances to the campus.

I am really enjoying watching the progress on a day by day basis.

Looks like we have some digging today, and some work being done inside the base cabinets. Overall, it just looks like a busy site. Miscellaneous tools scattered everywhere.

DSCF0062_zps1ca9b295.jpg

DSCF0061_zpsd9678fbd.jpg

DSCF0060_zps9c676ca9.jpg

DSCF0059_zpsf5cf81f7.jpg

DSCF0058_zpsc13a7810.jpg

DSCF0057_zps004001ba.jpg

Still waiting to see inside the crates...

• Like 3

got some lte off the tower in shelbyville today while driving through. got a few dots on sensorly before i lost reception. i also got some shots of a tower in greensburg where i noticed they had a crane and could see it from the hospital i was setting steel on. had to drive by on the way home. there were guys working on the base cabnets and the tower racks. ill try to get the pictures on from my phone later.

in the last month i have been getting minimum 1 meg up and sometimes as much as 2.4 meg up off this tower on 3g.

• Like 1

I am really enjoying watching the progress on a day by day basis.

Looks like we have some digging today, and some work bieing done inside the base cabinets. Overall, it just looks like a busy site. Miscellaneous tools scattered everywhere.

DSCF0062_zps1ca9b295.jpg

DSCF0061_zpsd9678fbd.jpg

DSCF0060_zps9c676ca9.jpg

DSCF0059_zpsf5cf81f7.jpg

DSCF0058_zpsc13a7810.jpg

DSCF0057_zps004001ba.jpg

Still waiting to see inside the crates...

Looks like they're making steady progress. Thanks for keeping us updated!

• Like 1

What's crazy is considering this needs to be done at ~38,000 locations!

I know. I wish that all of the chronic complainers would take a second to think about the insane amount of work involved. "My" site is very open and easily accessible, and involves a lot of time and effort. I can only imagine the work involved in some of the more challenging sites around. Doing this kind of work in a busy/populated urban area with lots of foot and vehicle traffic must be a royal pain.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Robert,

At what point do you imagine that the LTE signal will be strong enough, that we will no longer see 3g most of the time. Just curious, would it be the addition of more RUU's or are the towers just not running full power as of yet.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by riggs170

Robert,

At what point do you imagine that the LTE signal will be strong enough, that we will no longer see 3g most of the time. Just curious, would it be the addition of more RUU's or are the towers just not running full power as of yet.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It's hard to say. There will be some places where the tower spacing will not be dense enough and you will probably always be on 3G in between those sites. At least until LTE 800 is deployed in the area.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3