Network Vision/LTE - Austin Market

t3lancer2007

I got a 4g signal in Dripping Springs last night. It went away before i could get a speed test.

In town or north of it? I mapped some LTE well north of town with Sensorly, but I think it would be an RF fluke if that signal made it all the way to town. Maybe Sprint is about to turn on another tower in the area though.

right at the H.E.B. it was while i was getting gas. phone rang and i looked at it as i was going to answer. I go through Dripping daily and haven't seen anything since. I also look at the towers daily to look for activity.

Just to report, I've had a steady LTE signal in Cedar Park since October 29th. It seems to extend from Avery Ranch Blvd to 1431 along the 183/South Bell Blvd area. Consistent speeds of about 10 Mbps up and down..

Edited by TheDivided

There seems to be a fairly good blanket of coverage over Austin especially if you look at the sensorly maps do Y'all think they are getting pretty close to officially launching?

I think it will be in December.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I'm going with a late-December launch for Austin. Yes, there's more and more coverage each week, and the coverage is creeping south from the north, but there are still large swaths of Austin proper that are out of range of LTE, for example nearly everything between 360 and MoPac, Hyde Park and SW Austin.

That said, if Sprint got a half-dozen towers in each of those areas upgraded to NV (maybe they'd only need three in Hyde Park), they could probably launch the city. Coverage wouldn't be comprehensive, but between LTE and 3G with a reasonable amount of capacity behind it, the network would be workable while waiting for the market to pass, say, 50% completion by tower count.

• Like 1

There seems to be a fairly good blanket of coverage over Austin especially if you look at the sensorly maps do Y'all think they are getting pretty close to officially launching?

I'm going with a late-December launch for Austin. Yes, there's more and more coverage each week, and the coverage is creeping south from the north, but there are still large swaths of Austin proper that are out of range of LTE, for example nearly everything between 360 and MoPac, Hyde Park and SW Austin.

That said, if Sprint got a half-dozen towers in each of those areas upgraded to NV (maybe they'd only need three in Hyde Park), they could probably launch the city. Coverage wouldn't be comprehensive, but between LTE and 3G with a reasonable amount of capacity behind it, the network would be workable while waiting for the market to pass, say, 50% completion by tower count.

I also don't think Sprint can "launch" until they get decent coverage around downtown, the Capitol complex and the greater UT campus. And while it is tricky to compute percentages until we define the boundaries of the metropolitan area in question -- a smaller area than the large "Austin Market" including Waco, etc., that is tracked in the Running List thread -- my commonsense estimate is that the tower completions in and around Austin are at about 10 percent today.

Also readers should bear in mind that the existing Sensorly tracks are pretty faint in many areas, and are partly a function of activist testing that often involves manual toggling to get an LTE signal. Also, Sensorly tracks are almost always captured outdoors. So Sensorly may overstate the coverage that normal users would experience routinely.

BTW, folks following this Austin thread in the public Markets forum are advised also to follow the Sponsor thread in the Interactive S4GRU Maps forum, where we have been pretty good at tracking, mapping and logging local progress tower-by-tower.

After having SMS issues for the last couple if weeks, I called into tech support. I named 3 zip codes in which I've had these issues 78660, 78723 and 78758. Tech support told me there are active network vision upgrades in these areas that are scheduled to be completed by 1 p.m. Monday.

When asked specifically if lte is going to be "officially" live with these upgrades, the answer was "probably". There was no official word, yet there are network vision upgrades being completed very soon.

FYI, the SMS issues are that messages are being sent, but I'm getting error codes on my iphone5

• 3 weeks later...

I am in San Marcos and noticed Friday that I am getting the 4g icon on my gs3. I am near Hopkins/Wonder World dr.

So far my speed tests have ranged from 6-10mbps down and 4-6 up on about 3-4 bars.

edit: 316970355.png

Edited by sub
  • Like 1

It looks like there's been some activity at AU13XC063 (620 and Shenendoah). There were some NV style panels on the back tower (there are two towers visible from 620) that weren't there before. I don't think there was a signal there yet - the phone was in my pocket as I drive by, and I didn't get a signal from it at Lakeline Plaza (I got a signal from the one near the SuperTarget there.

I'll check back in a few days and see if there's any signal.

I am in San Marcos and noticed Friday that I am getting the 4g icon on my gs3. I am near Hopkins/Wonder World dr.

So far my speed tests have ranged from 6-10mbps down and 4-6 up on about 3-4 bars.

edit: 316970355.png

San Marcos user here with the newest EVO. Clearly chose the wrong phone, and the local store keeps telling me they're "updating the towers still" anytime I complain.

tumblr_mfffoqdAkL1qghrc0o1_500.png

San Marcos user here with the newest EVO. Clearly chose the wrong phone, and the local store keeps telling me they're "updating the towers still" anytime I complain.

Only a few of the towers have been upgraded so far, and there have been next to no 3G upgrades done in the market yet. However, once the upgrades get further along in your area, I think your opinion will change. I really don't think it is your phone, but the network. Which seems to be unfortunately poor at the moment.

Only a few of the towers have been upgraded so far, and there have been next to no 3G upgrades done in the market yet. However, once the upgrades get further along in your area, I think your opinion will change. I really don't think it is your phone, but the network. Which seems to be unfortunately poor at the moment.

Hmm fair enough. I suppose I will have to wait. Thanks for the response

Hmm fair enough. I suppose I will have to wait. Thanks for the response

If you want to get a sense of where you might be able to try out some LTE, you can check out this link: http://sensorly.com/...310sprint#q=San Marcos, TX

We also have maps of all the completed tower upgrades in our sponsors section. That may be something you might consider if you want to see how NV is progressing in your area, and across the country.

I'm still waiting to get a phone number with a 737 area code.

You can't get a number with your area code??

• 1 month later...

An update of accepted sites in the Austin market has been posted in the Sponsor section and to Sponsor maps: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/577-network-vision-site-map-dfw-austin-and-west-texas/page__view__findpost__p__105291

Robert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm visiting Austin this week, staying downtown at the Radisson. My S3 is picking up 4G on and off but the speeds are very poor, slower than then old 3G frequently. What is going on? I thought Austin LTE was well built out at this point?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I'm visiting Austin this week, staying downtown at the Radisson. My S3 is picking up 4G on and off but the speeds are very poor, slower than then old 3G frequently. What is going on? I thought Austin LTE was well built out at this point?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

South of town as well as NE are alright. Central, downtown, east Austin, and campus are head scratchingly slow

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow this thread is really quiet!

I'm traveling in this area, am Pulling Band 26 800 LTE as well as Band 41 in the I35-290 and I35-111 area

• Like 1