First iPhone LTE post

xenadu

nice.

no lte here in stl, but color me surprised that so far the 3g network hasn't imploded from the onslaught.

3 random 3g speeds so far, 0.43/0.43, 1.32/0.79, 0.82/0.76

which are nominally better than 3g I've experienced at the same area with 3g on android though normally I'm on wimax 95% of the time.

• Like 1

I think the iPhone is doing the same signal bars thing the other phones do where the bars show the 1X signal strength because I was picking up and losing LTE but when I was on LTE it was 2 bars. When on 3G I had three to four bars. It would appear that the iPhone prefers LTE if it can get it as well.

• Like 1

I think the iPhone is doing the same signal bars thing the other phones do where the bars show the 1X signal strength because I was picking up and losing LTE but when I was on LTE it was 2 bars. When on 3G I had three to four bars. It would appear that the iPhone prefers LTE if it can get it as well.

I was hoping it would switch to LTE signal strength when connected. Bummer.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I don't know if this is new or not, but I just accidently found out how to see prl and some other technical tidbits, settings > general > about > tap 'carrier' (its under the ios version number).

it shows > carrier > prl > eri > nai > msid > carrier

there is also an apparently new advertising option, where you can 'limit ad tracking' regarding the new device id usage thing.

Edited by dedub

the iphone sure does like lte thats for sure, my evo will barely pick up lte even with the latest radios had lte at 1 intersection on the drive to the apple store and back. the iphone held an lte signal all the way home.

• Like 4

the iphone sure does like lte thats for sure' date=' my evo will barely pick up lte even with the latest radios had lte at 1 intersection on the drive to the apple store and back. the iphone held an lte signal all the way home.[/quote']

It's not fair to compare any Sprint LTE device to the EVO when it comes to LTE connectivity. Even the LG Viper bests it. :td:

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

It's not fair to compare any Sprint LTE device to the EVO when it comes to LTE connectivity. Even the LG Viper bests it. :td:

I'd just love to test out LTE once. I'm so jealous of all of you right now that have tasted of the powerful new network. And Robert, seeing as you have the 1st 4 Sprint LTE phones, you have an advantage over those who only have the EVO LTE, and haven't used another phone to test with 1st.

I was getting pretty good coverage today in San Antonio. It dropped back to 3G a couple times on my drive home, but never had trouble switching back when I hit a new tower. I was getting about 10 down and 10 up in multiple locations on average, with a high over 30 down on one test.

• Like 3

Lmao, its sad that its as bad as it is with it being 1 of sprints high end/flagship devices.

sent from my iPhone5

And to think I was tossing and turning over whether to get to the Evo LTE or the S3... The original Evo was so good that I thought the LTE version would be awesome, but I went with the S3 for the doubled RAM and developer support since so many people have it. I'm really glad I did seeing as the Evo LTE seems to be really badly affected by radio problems.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

And to think I was tossing and turning over whether to get to the Evo LTE or the S3... The original Evo was so good that I thought the LTE version would be awesome, but I went with the S3 for the doubled RAM and developer support since so many people have it. I'm really glad I did seeing as the Evo LTE seems to be really badly affected by radio problems.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

I am waiting to hear back from a local repair store to see if they will swap my EVO for an s3.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'd just love to test out LTE once. I'm so jealous of all of you right now that have tasted of the powerful new network. And Robert, seeing as you have the 1st 4 Sprint LTE phones, you have an advantage over those who only have the EVO LTE, and haven't used another phone to test with 1st.

Hah, it's almost worse the way Sprint's coverage is in Dallas. It taunts you with LTE for a few minutes then yanks it away.

I suspect the Sprint iPhone 5 is unlocked too, or at least has the same behavior when unlocked. It may actually be that Apple's systems don't have the capability to lock it only for domestic so once they unlock it for international use it completely unlocks it. I know my launch-day 4S is unlocked and can use an AT&T SIM card. We know the SIM card in the Sprint iPhone is a real GSM/LTE SIM since you can pay their ridiculous international rates if you have more money than sense. It also means there is no technical reason Sprint couldn't sign deals with GSM companies for roaming, eg Tmobile. I'm sure AT&T and Verizon are not interested for their own monopolistic reasons.

Edit: I don't think it would happen but Tmobile wants the iPhone, yet they have a spectrum problem for 3G/4G. Sprint could use more PCS spectrum. In theory, they could sign a deal for cross-roaming and support any of the CDMA/HPSA/LTE frequencies for iPhone customers. They could also merge. Or both.

Again, unlikely but no technical reason they couldn't. Heck, Sprint could even use their NV platform to host Tmobile spectrum, making Sprint a sort of outsourced provider of the network. That would give DT a door out.

Both the new iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4/4S have SIMs. That's how it roams internationally.

All LTE devices use SIMs -- micro SIMs, nano SIMs, embedded SIMs, etc. The question is whether the iPhone 5 has a removable SIM, as many other Sprint LTE devices do not. Regardless, it does not need a removable SIM to roam internationally.

AJ