Report Shentel LTE Sightings Here

Sprint's/Shentel's are fairly distinctive vs other carriers. If you can get a picture, we can probably tell you.

I took this picture on my way to work about 2 days ago but it might be a bit to far to see.

IMAG1780.jpg

I'll try again tomorrow morning since it'll practically be night time by the time I pass by the tower and I can't take a pic today.

Had fun running Sensorly around Harrisburg today. So I can definitely confirm 2 new areas of coverage. One at Harrisburg Int'l Airport covering some of Middletown and down river a little ways. Also noticed a significant portion of midtown and uptown Harrisburg is covered. I'm very impressed with Shentel and will be on the lookout for some new spots in the coming days :)

I was able to stay connected to LTE going south on Roosevelt Ave almost all the way down to Philadelphia street. Thats the farthest into the city I've been able to stay connected to 4G.

Looks to me like you proved that there is not a NV site active in center city yet. I think you were connected to a site north of Route 30 probably close to Pennsylvania ave. Keep up with the good work. What you did is exactly what we need to see.

Looks to me like you proved that there is not a NV site active in center city yet. I think you were connected to a site north of Route 30 probably close to Pennsylvania ave. Keep up with the good work. What you did is exactly what we need to see.

Thanks, this takes a lot of dedication. I actually think scanning for 4G and launching Sensorly is almost worse than texting and driving.

Ahh I totally forgot, I actually managed to connect to 4G for a few seconds near the intersection of Route 30 and Bowman Road.

Thanks, this takes a lot of dedication. I actually think scanning for 4G and launching Sensorly is almost worse than texting and driving.

Ahh I totally forgot, I actually managed to connect to 4G for a few seconds near the intersection of Route 30 and Bowman Road.

The best way to do it is turn Sensory on and tap on "Map Trip". Then tap "Menu" and then "details". The details screen leaves you see received level and verify points being collected and sent. Put your phone on a power cord. Yes, it is risky to play with the phone while driving. I only look toward the top of the screen where it will either say "LTE connected" or something like "CDMA or maybe EPHRD connected" You will either see LTE or some version of 3G.

I also glance at the receive level especially if I have a LTE connection. If you have a signal around a -75 or 80, you are close to the cell site. When you see -115 you are fairly close to dropping the signal. At a -120 level, I usually will drop from LTE to old faithful CDMA 3G.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is working very well. I think it has recently improved in LTE signal detection and the ability to hold onto the signal. I do not know if a software update to the phone made an improvement or if the Sprint Core and cell site equipment have been getting an upgrade. I am fairly sure things are better recently, Could also be that some antenna optimization/adjustment was done in my area too.

I did have a HTC 4G LTE phone and it was horrible on LTE. Almost impossible to use on a cell site hunting mission.

The best way to do it is turn Sensory on and tap on "Map Trip". Then tap "Menu" and then "details". The details screen leaves you see received level and verify points being collected and sent. Put your phone on a power cord. Yes, it is risky to play with the phone while driving. I only look toward the top of the screen where it will either say "LTE connected" or something like "CDMA or maybe EPHRD connected" You will either see LTE or some version of 3G.

I also glance at the receive level especially if I have a LTE connection. If you have a signal around a -75 or 80, you are close to the cell site. When you see -115 you are fairly close to dropping the signal. At a -120 level, I usually will drop from LTE to old faithful CDMA 3G.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and it is working very well. I think it has recently improved in LTE signal detection and the ability to hold onto the signal. I do not know if a software update to the phone made an improvement or if the Sprint Core and cell site equipment have been getting an upgrade. I am fairly sure things are better recently, Could also be that some antenna optimization/adjustment was done in my area too.

I did have a HTC 4G LTE phone and it was horrible on LTE. Almost impossible to use on a cell site hunting mission.

I think that is my main issue. Since my phone is so bad at connecting to and maintaining an LTE signal, if i just let sensorly run and do not actively try to connect to LTE may never switch over.

I think that is my main issue. Since my phone is so bad at connecting to and maintaining an LTE signal, if i just let sensorly run and do not actively try to connect to LTE may never switch over.

Yes, I tried to toggle airplane mode and then start Sensorly. What a disaster that phone is. Really was going to cause an accident somewhere some place. I worried with it three days and then made Sprint take it back. I refused to worry with it anymore. An LTE phone that will not find and hold LTE is not going to be in my possession.

Yes, I tried to toggle airplane mode and then start Sensorly. What a disaster that phone is. Really was going to cause an accident somewhere some place. I worried with it three days and then made Sprint take it back. I refused to worry with it anymore. An LTE phone that will not find and hold LTE is not going to be in my possession.

I'm gonna hang on to it and see if it gets better with the Jelly Bean update. Also I'm sure that it won't be much of an issue once we have no more gaps in LTE coverage.

I'm gonna hang on to it and see if it gets better with the Jelly Bean update. Also I'm sure that it won't be much of an issue once we have no more gaps in LTE coverage.

I traded in my EVO 4G LTE for a Note II and the coverage difference is amazing. I seriously think that the new phone doubled my LTE coverage in York..

I traded in my EVO 4G LTE for a Note II and the coverage difference is amazing. I seriously think that the new phone doubled my LTE coverage in York..

I traded the EVO for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and had a similar experience. I could go about one-half mile further out and away from the cell site with the Samsung. The EVO would not acquire the LTE signal unless you were sitting right beside the cell site and it would lose it at a -109 level. In the last day or two, I have really been watching my Samsung and the level in my home area. I have seen it acquire a LTE signal with a -114 level. That is the best I ever seen. I see it hold onto a -120 level however at a -120 level the LTE is about useless. Receive speed is only about 2 meg and the transmit side will not be functional at all.

LTE just will not work at a -120 level but the phone can manage to hold onto it.

If you think about it, a phone that will hold an LTE signal one half mile further out is really giving you a whole bunch of extra coverage. This is one-half mile in all directions from all cell sites. Not a minor thing..

Mustang, now that you have a decent phone, leave us see more purple on Sensory from you?? Go get it.

I traded the EVO for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and had a similar experience. I could go about one-half mile further out and away from the cell site with the Samsung. The EVO would not acquire the LTE signal unless you were sitting right beside the cell site and it would lose it at a -109 level. In the last day or two, I have really been watching my Samsung and the level in my home area. I have seen it acquire a LTE signal with a -114 level. That is the best I ever seen. I see it hold onto a -120 level however at a -120 level the LTE is about useless. Receive speed is only about 2 meg and the transmit side will not be functional at all.

LTE just will not work at a -120 level but the phone can manage to hold onto it.

If you think about it, a phone that will hold an LTE signal one half mile further out is really giving you a whole bunch of extra coverage. This is one-half mile in all directions from all cell sites. Not a minor thing..

Mustang, now that you have a decent phone, leave us see more purple on Sensory from you?? Go get it.

My EVO LTE holds an LTE connection at my apartment past -115 which actually becomes troublesome as you mention because the connection is basically non-existent. I imagine if I didn't understand what was going on it would be VERY frustrating.

My EVO LTE holds an LTE connection at my apartment past -115 which actually becomes troublesome as you mention because the connection is basically non-existent. I imagine if I didn't understand what was going on it would be VERY frustrating.

But does your EVO have any issues connecting to LTE? I feel like I have to jump through a lot of hoops just to get mine to connect to LTE. Perhaps I should consider getting a replacement?

But does your EVO have any issues connecting to LTE? I feel like I have to jump through a lot of hoops just to get mine to connect to LTE. Perhaps I should consider getting a replacement?

It's strange. The other night when they flipped the switch, I looked down and it had connected automatically. At my apartment, I get ~-109dbm outside and -112 to -115 inside. I live at the top of hill so as i pass the crest I lose connection, on the opposite side. When I come home, I've been watching to see how quickly it connects and generally it's pretty good. But then yetserday I went Sensorly mapping and was sitting directly in front of an active tower and had to cycle airplane mode to get it to connect. My wife's S3 has no such issues, but I will say sometimes I think the "problem" is non-existent and other times it's a pain in the ass!

My EVO would only hold onto a -109, but it was in a vehicle with tinted windows. However, my Galaxy S3 will hold onto a -120 in the same vehicle with the same tinted windows.Tinted windows in a home can cause issues. I am not sure the tint in car windows is the same thing.

I did my EVO testing about 6 weeks ago. Maybe you have had an update to yours that improved it??

My EVO would only hold onto a -109, but it was in a vehicle with tinted windows. However, my Galaxy S3 will hold onto a -120 in the same vehicle with the same tinted windows.Tinted windows in a home can cause issues. I am not sure the tint in car windows is the same thing.

I did my EVO testing about 6 weeks ago. Maybe you have had an update to yours that improved it??

My EVO has held down to -131, not a very good but it kept it for about a minute before i got to a better signal. My mom has a S3 and has a problem connecting to 1x in our metal office building when my EVO gets 3 bars. We have Wifi so LTE usually disconnects before I even get a chance to check it but when my wifi is off my LTE stays connected on usable with 3-4mbps up and down while her S3 cant even connect standing in the parking lot with -80 to -90 depending on witch side of the building you are. The weird thing is on the same tower but a different sector she can connect just fine.

Back to the original topic, There are at least 3 more towers here in Winchester. They are somewhere around exits 315, 313, 310.

Robert, you still haven't added Front Royal from where I mapped back in Oct.

Robert, you still haven't added Front Royal from where I mapped back in Oct.

Because I can't. There is no dark purple on the Sensorly map to help me find a tower in Front Royal. It's possible that the Front Royal signal is coming from the tower between Front Royal and Stephens City that i already have mapped.

Robert via Samsung Victory LTE on Tapatalk

Because I can't. There is no dark purple on the Sensorly map to help me find a tower in Front Royal. It's possible that the Front Royal signal is coming from the tower between Front Royal and Stephens City that i already have mapped.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss it. I'm sure there are a couple more that have been activated since my last trip down there. It shouldn't be to long before I get back down there for work and can map some more.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't miss it. I'm sure there are a couple more that have been activated since my last trip down there. It shouldn't be to long before I get back down there for work and can map some more.

That would be great. I'll keep an eye out for updates in the area.

These guys are serious about this rollout. More work over the last few days on the water tower west side of exit 24 at I83 in York. Should have pretty good coverage north of 30 once it's online. . Guy at the Sprint store (seemed at least mildly knowledgeable) indicated that the intent was to cover the surrounding areas before moving into the city.

And holy cow, they just turned it on. LTE on my living room couch for the win!

Congratulations. Show it to all of us. Turn Sensorly on and take your phone for a ride all over your neighborhood.

Picked up some new coverage on route 230 through Steelton/Highspire heading into south Harrisburg. Also picking up new ehrpd signals north of Harrisburg in the town of Dauphin along route 322. All tracked on sensorly.