Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

The way sites been lighting up, it may be sooner

Get a Nexus 5, I went from 1 bar (needed an airave) to 2 bars LTE.  Simply stunning RF.

As Coz stated though, don't need LTE in the house.  Just nice to have coverage for voice without the airave now.

???

He is talking about me.  It all started when I posted ( months ago ..maybe Aug 2013 ) that I thought West Virginia market would be done before Columbus.  He essentially said "You want to bet?" and asked if I was a know it all.  

I only made "the call"  on WV ( likely being done 1st ) because it's much much smaller of an area to upgraded requiring less time and effort ..  Both are 4th round markets...

and now here today ( feb 22/14 ) the status is :  

Columbus Market:

47% NV accepted & 28% LTE accepted

West Virginia Market: 

97% NV accepted & 50% LTE accepted.

Honestly, I really didn't even care if I ended up being wrong and I didn't mention it ever again, until now..... this is a good time to mention it.

I asked about the Samsung Galaxy 3 because my friend asked me whether his phone would get the 1x800 and I didn't really know..

Columbus Market:

47% NV accepted & 28% LTE accepted

West Virginia Market: 

97% NV accepted & 50% LTE accepted.

Mark Twain: "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics". 

Your Columbus Market stats may be out of date,  I come up with 67.25% of our sites are new vision.  Now that does not mean that the sites that will be 4g are up to that level yet.  Almost half of the remaining sites are in process.  Our worst winter in 20 years is also slowing things down.

The other factor is West Virginia is not really a complete market because of Ntelos.

• Like 1

Mark Twain: "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics". 

Your Columbus Market stats may be out of date,  I come up with 67.25% of our sites are new vision.  Now that does not mean that the sites that will be 4g are up to that level yet.  Almost half of the remaining sites are in process.  Our worst winter in 20 years is also slowing things down.

The other factor is West Virginia is not really a complete market because of Ntelos.

After I made the post I thought those stats were probably not being kept up..  The WV stats ( that are part of Sprint NV -  NOT Shentel... and includes Marietta Ohio - which is right across the river from WV ) is probably around 90% LTE complete.  That area is where my folks live so I've watched it closely. I wasn't aware that nTelos was doing a network upgrade in conjunction with Sprint ( like Shentel was for LTE ).. Shentel's upgrade was done as part of NV .., and uses the same equipment Sprint used. ( http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-20-sprint-regional-affiliate-shentel-releases-some-more-network-vision-info-in-conference-call-with-investors/ )

I think there was/is rumbling that Sprint may buy Shentel at some point and the equipment wouldn't need to be changed, but the affiliate agreement between the two doesnt expire till 2024 - with provisions made for two 10 year contracts extensions..

Also the areas that are Shentel LTE in WV ( not alot ) are offically done as well. (  Shentel invested over $100 million in 2012 and 2013 building the largest and most advanced 4G LTE and enhanced 3G network in communities stretching along the I-81 corridor from Harrisonburg, VA, through Winchester, VA; Martinsburg, WV; Hagerstown, MD; and Chambersburg, to Harrisburg, PA and east to Hanover and York, and west along the turnpike to Breezewood, and north to Altoona, PA. )

I'm pretty sure that alot of West Virginia is neither Shentel or Sprint.  So Sprints LTE coverage in West Virginia is not ideal.  I don't know if Sprint has cross agreements with anyone else besides nTelos - for roaming.. I don't think we can count on nTelos bringing much to Sprint though.

It appears Sprint may not be renewing any roaming agreements with nTelos: Feb 2014: "NTELOS sinks after firm predicts Sprint deal won't be renewed NTELOS (NTLS), a regional wireless retailer, is tumbling after research firm FBR predicted that the company's partnership with Sprint (S) would not be renewed when the deal expires in 2015. FBR, which noted that NTELOS obtains the majority of its profits from its partnership with the carrier through the Sprint Strategic Network Alliance"  

My brother lives around there - in an ntelos area and  has an nTelos contract.  From what I understand, for him this would mean when he leaves the nTelos area he wouldn't be roaming on Sprint (or anyone - unless another agreement is made )

Maybe Coz or someone else knows more..

After I made the post I thought those stats were probably not being kept up..  The WV stats ( that are part of Sprint NV -  NOT Shentel... and includes Marietta Ohio - which is right across the river from WV ) is probably around 90% LTE complete.  That area is where my folks live so I've watched it closely. I wasn't aware that nTelos was doing a network upgrade in conjunction with Sprint ( like Shentel was for LTE ).. Shentel's upgrade was done as part of NV .., and uses the same equipment Sprint used. ( http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-20-sprint-regional-affiliate-shentel-releases-some-more-network-vision-info-in-conference-call-with-investors/ )

I think there was/is rumbling that Sprint may buy Shentel at some point and the equipment wouldn't need to be changed, but the affiliate agreement between the two doesnt expire till 2024 - with provisions made for two 10 year contracts extensions..

Also the areas that are Shentel LTE in WV ( not alot ) are offically done as well. (  Shentel invested over $100 million in 2012 and 2013 building the largest and most advanced 4G LTE and enhanced 3G network in communities stretching along the I-81 corridor from Harrisonburg, VA, through Winchester, VA; Martinsburg, WV; Hagerstown, MD; and Chambersburg, to Harrisburg, PA and east to Hanover and York, and west along the turnpike to Breezewood, and north to Altoona, PA. )

I'm pretty sure that alot of West Virginia is neither Shentel or Sprint.  So Sprints LTE coverage in West Virginia is not ideal.  I don't know if Sprint has cross agreements with anyone else besides nTelos - for roaming.. I don't think we can count on nTelos bringing much to Sprint though.

It appears Sprint may not be renewing any roaming agreements with nTelos: Feb 2014: "NTELOS sinks after firm predicts Sprint deal won't be renewed NTELOS (NTLS), a regional wireless retailer, is tumbling after research firm FBR predicted that the company's partnership with Sprint (S) would not be renewed when the deal expires in 2015. FBR, which noted that NTELOS obtains the majority of its profits from its partnership with the carrier through the Sprint Strategic Network Alliance"  

My brother lives around there - in an ntelos area and  has an nTelos contract.  From what I understand, for him this would mean when he leaves the nTelos area he wouldn't be roaming on Sprint (or anyone - unless another agreement is made )

Maybe Coz or someone else knows more..

continues here: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4742-columbus-market-mapspreadsheet/page-109&do=findComment&comment=286392

Sprint Launched Ohio markets as of Friday (it's buried in a list of launched LTE markets http://newsroom.spri...chedmarkets.htm )

• Ashland, Ohio
• Ashtabula, Ohio
• Canton/Massillon, Ohio
• Dayton, Ohio

• Findlay, Ohio

• Greenville, Ohio

• Mansfield, Ohio
• Marion, Ohio
• New Philadelphia/Dover, Ohio
• Parkersburg, W.Va. 
• Point Pleasant, W.Va. 
• Salem, Ohio
• Sandusky, Ohio
• Tiffin, Ohio
• Wooster, Ohio

Dayton is not spark because it did not have wimax service.

Looking carefully at the coverage map, Sprint also launched in the Columbus Market:
- Keyton
- Upper Sandusky
- Bucyrus
- Gallion
- Worthington (not the Columbus suburb)
- Bowling Green

We had all the areas in the Columbus Market fully covered on our sponsor maps
  • Like 3

Dear james, hopefully you're stuck on a mountain somewhere so I can swoop through and pick up some GCI data.

I thought that site was confirmed already. If it's not, go enjoy yourself.

So... When it comes to voice service, the standard PRL will only go to 800 if there's nothing else available, right?  The last few days, the voice service at my house (in the E Broad and Lancaster Ave area) has gone completely down the drain.  It's basically not usable.  Signal Check tells me it's because I am connecting to 1x800, and the signal on it isn't great.  Throughout these few days, I will periodically see the old 1xRTT signal I'm used to pop in, then voice works just fine.  

So anyways, I'm like 99.9% sure this is just an intermittent tower issue like we've had all through this roll out, but in the past I would never pick up the 800.  Just wanting to be sure this isn't a problem by design.  If it is, I need to be calling for an airrave...

• Like 1

So... When it comes to voice service, the standard PRL will only go to 800 if there's nothing else available, right?  The last few days, the voice service at my house (in the E Broad and Lancaster Ave area) has gone completely down the drain.  It's basically not usable.  Signal Check tells me it's because I am connecting to 1x800, and the signal on it isn't great.  Throughout these few days, I will periodically see the old 1xRTT signal I'm used to pop in, then voice works just fine.  

So anyways, I'm like 99.9% sure this is just an intermittent tower issue like we've had all through this roll out, but in the past I would never pick up the 800.  Just wanting to be sure this isn't a problem by design.  If it is, I need to be calling for an airrave...

I have a friend that works on Reyn-NA Rd that has been complaining the past couple days about how bad service has gone non-existent. Has to do with the launching of clusters. You're in range of 800 but low signal. Try to make or answer a call and it's unusable or unstable so your phone will switch back to PCS/1X but because of the handoff issue between 800 and legacy PCS the call will drop. If you can change PRL's, it would be best to use one that doesn't have 800 until the rest of R-burg gets launched.

• Like 2

I have a friend that works on Reyn-NA Rd that has been complaining the past couple days about how bad service has gone non-existent. Has to do with the launching of clusters. You're in range of 800 but low signal. Try to make or answer a call and it's unusable or unstable so your phone will switch back to PCS/1X but because of the handoff issue between 800 and legacy PCS the call will drop. If you can change PRL's, it would be best to use one that doesn't have 800 until the rest of R-burg gets launched.

Cool thanks.  At this point I think I'll just live with it.  I hardly use voice service myself, and the people in my house that are complaining about it would not be open to me doing any tinkering with their phone.  So far the data seems to be fine.  I can still pull the same speeds I always have.

Yeah that tower hasn't had any work done yet. Frustrating but "one of these days"... We're in that no mans land between pockets of NV complete work and can cause some issues with voice. Like you, I rarely use my phone at home so it's not really an issue.