Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Sorry if this seems slightly off topic, but about once a day my iPhone 5S says no sim installed. It then drops the connection about 2 seconds then reconnects to the network. I've restored it and gotten a new sim, neither of which helped. Could this be because of network upgrades or do I just have a hardware issue on my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Just make an appt at the Apple Store and take it in for a new one. Should take 5 min.

Sprint CEO explains why his 4G network is still terrible

One of the biggest mysteries in the American wireless industry is why Sprint’s LTE network is still so slow compared to its competition despite the fact that Sprint has considerably more spectrum than its rivals. GigaOM asked Sprint CEO Dan Hesse about why his network is still so far behind the competition and he gave the standard CEO response: It’s complicated.

“There’s a complexity to this network build that’s never been undertaken, in my view, by anyone in the world,” Hesse told GigaOM. “We’re playing three-dimensional chess.”

In fairness to Hesse, Sprint is still suffering from some of the bad decisions made by his predecessors. Sprint’s decision to buy Nextel and its decision to initially go with WiMAX over LTE as its 4G technology were both disastrous mistakes that set the company back years. Plus, as Hesse tells GigaOM, Sprint’s spectrum isn’t as contiguous as the spectrum held by AT&T and Verizon, which only adds to the challenges of building a high-performing LTE network.

“Most of Sprint’s competitors had access to a good 20 MHz of 4G spectrum over which they could build pristine new LTE systems,” GigaOM explains. “Sprint has had to stitch airwaves from across the electromagnetic spectrum.”

Even so, GigaOM notes that T-Mobile has made considerably more progress in getting its LTE network up to speed despite facing some of the same challenges that Sprint has in terms of contiguous spectrum. And it doesn’t help matters that Hesse still can’t set a timeline for when his company’s network will be on par with its competitors.

“I really can’t give you a magic date because the build will continue through 2015,” Hesse explained to GigaOM. “We’re moving on a city by city basis.”

In other words, Sprint customers: Don’t hold your breaths.

Sprint CEO explains why his 4G network is still terrible

Yeah, this article was topic of discussion here on S4GRU about a week and a half ago somewhere around here. We can only hope things change this year. Some will stay, some will go. The choice is theirs.

Agree. Everything Sprint puts out is criticized by unhappy subs. We were all once/still, there at one point. Obviously Sprint knows where they're headed or they wouldn't be doing anything. Who would invest $billions in a company with no future?

• Like 1

Agree. Everything Sprint puts out is criticized by unhappy subs. We were all once/still, there at one point. Obviously Sprint knows where they're headed or they wouldn't be doing anything. Who would invest $billions in a company with no future?

Maybe I'm repeating something stated in another thread and I say this in hopes somebody that cares reads this, I'm almost certain that Sprint customers would be more tolerable if they wouldn't be constantly lied to, games played with then deceived. The wheel of excuses is old. The routing of customer calls to odd departments is downright mean and to sum it up nicely, the business end of Sprint seems to not give a rat about the people that pay them every month. The employees behind the scenes are hard working people just like we are and when you flip the script on them, they're very genuine people in the same boat as us consumers. Actually they are also the same consumers just paying a lower price also dealing with the same headaches. Just my 2 cents. 

It's quite comical that Dan keeps calling me back on my cell even though I've said several times to not call my cell because it just doesn't work.

• Like 2

I can see real progress.  Yes it seems slow here in Ohio ( and we're last ), but I think it'll be a great network when its done.  My sister lives out of state and travels a lot.  She has Sprint and says 4g works most places - and does so very well.  She has a 1900 LTE phone only.

• Like 2

Just like ANY company - there are some great people and some people just "working" with no care, no purpose - In others words they don't give a crap.

I made a call to Sprint about adding another line I had been approved for in Dec. of 2013.  The girl on the line said I'd have to talk to the credit dept.  When I finally got to the credit dept the woman there said "It's in the notes - and everyone can see you're approved for another line.  Some people are too lazy to look " ..  That woman was helpful though and fixed my problem quick.

What she said was surprising, but she summed it up.  There are lazy people versus hard working people everywhere you look.  You can go to any store on any single day and get someone who really help you or someone who doesn't.

Part of the problem also is - LTE is widespread in many parts, but when you talk to a Sprint rep - they may not have a clue that Ohio is last on the list.  I think many here know much more then a low level customer service rep.

• Like 5

Coz, or Anyone who knows...

is there a shentel coverage map ?

On S4GRU? No.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

.... but when you talk to a Sprint rep - they may not have a clue that Ohio is last on the list. I think many here know much more then a low level customer service rep.

Ohio isn't last on the list. We were scheduled as a 4th round market but work started here in the 3rd round. There are some markets where Sprint hasn't started any work besides applying for permits.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

In terms of Samsung markets the absolute last will be a battle in the Central Valley CA between Sacramento & Fresnope / Bakersfield. 

Overall the last corporate market is Hawaii.

In terms of failures of affiliates it's most likely swiftel. 

In terms of Samsung markets the absolute last will be a battle in the Central Valley CA between Sacramento & Fresnope / Bakersfield. 

Overall the last corporate market is Hawaii.

In terms of failures of affiliates it's most likely swiftel. 

Swiftel, almost making nTelos look good.... :wacko:

Eastside 270 & main st (pretty sure that's the one since I'm only about 150 yards from the tower) just went lte... Getting -75db and 32 mbps down 6 up.

Posting screens in the spreadsheet forum...

• Like 3

Where is the Swiftel market?

Somewhere around the Dakotas. As far as I know they haven't even started planning any deployment.

Note: there is a Sprint market that does cover some of the Dakotas, however it is not the same area covered by Swiftel....

Coz, or Anyone who knows...

is there a shentel coverage map ?

Does Shentel even do wireless? 

Last I know they only did Cable/Broadband/Home Phone in the Shenandoah Valley area around Virginia....

EDIT:  I guess they do...  I just found this on their website:

Pursuant to a management agreement with Sprint Nextel Communications, Inc., and its related parties (which we refer to collectively as “Sprint Nextel”), the Company is the exclusive personal communications service (“PCS”) Affiliate of Sprint Nextel providing mobility communications network products and services in the 1900 megahertz spectrum range in the four-state area extending from Harrisonburg, Virginia to Harrisburg, York and Altoona, Pennsylvania. The Company operates its PCS network under the Sprint Nextel radio spectrum license and Sprint brand.

Also this LTE completion link: https://www.shentel.com/shentel/news/shentel-announces-completion-of-its-sprint-4g-lte-upgrade

Edited by Amadeus

Y'all awfully quiet in here today...

Well allow me to jump in and make some noise then... These updates in the last week or two are really starting to bring the whole picture together!  I went running around yesterday and it was like a night and day difference.  Not only did I finally pick up some LTE in Reynoldsburg, but I was picking it up in spots that used to have shoddy 1x at best.  Gotta love it when dead spots disappear!  It's a shame that I only have 4 months of my two years left, but I'm still happier than a pig in s@#$ with a full LTE signal.  I am gonna walk my butt off and enjoy hours and hours of non-skipping Pandora and Google Music.  Spring has sprung early my friends!

• Like 5

All I need is that signal to be a but stronger from court right. LTE comes and goes in the house

You need LTE in your house?