Sprint is doing a live tour of the cell site

LOL, I'm not that old... Now if his name was Dirka Dirka Muhammad Jihad, I might have some flashbacks.

Rest assured, I know. In fact, circumstantial evidence suggests that you are even a couple of years younger than me. But that is part of what makes it funny.

AJ

• Like 1

Yeah, tech journalists need to understand the difference between LTE and frequency and how they impact propagation/coverage. This is definitely an error.

Robert

They also kept calling it Sprint's Wimax equipment, guess they really wanted to dumb it down for the media.

• Like 1

Anyone found the video on Fox's site/Youtube?

Nope, the site takes for ever to update, I see news still from the 17, no updates since than.

Also I was reading the article that Robert posted and I found this part a bit funny,

"Asked whether greater LTE network efficiencies might yield lower monthly bills for customers, Chu and other officials laughed. "It means bills might not go up as much," he said."

Also is sprint planning to increase the price? he said "bills might not go up as much" -_-

Remote Electrical Tilt?

Sounds fancy...

That is antenna downtilt.

AJ

...So it seems they are not blocking LTE connections around Baltimore prior to launch the way they did the first launched markets....

If this is true, I hope they continue doing it that way in the future markets. I dont understand those people that say they wish Sprint would wait untill the markets are more complete before launching, or giving access to Network Vision sites... If the upgraded towers are are there... put them to good use!

• Like 1

Just never heard sprint was using this with network vision. Pretty cool they can remotely change coverage.

Electrical downtilt, as I understand it, is a fairly standard feature. Panels include multiple antennas; by remotely adjusting the power output and phasing among the antennas, the vertical polar response can be changed.

AJ

• Like 2

Mechanical downtilt is not remotely controlled with NV panels. However, that would be pretty trick.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

You are the only person outside of my parents that I've ever heard call something cool 'trick'. I'm guessing it comes from the ZZ Top / hot rod days. It's a phrase that actually sounds pretty cool and I wish more people would say.

• Like 1

You are the only person outside of my parents that I've ever heard call something cool 'trick'. I'm guessing it comes from the ZZ Top / hot rod days. It's a phrase that actually sounds pretty cool and I wish more people would say.

I guess I'm showing my age. :)

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Wait, so does anyone have more information on possible price raises? I know that we will eventually not be able to sustain unlimited data for all, but do we have a rough idea of the timeline or estimate of what it will be?

Wait' date=' so does anyone have more information on possible price raises? I know that we will eventually not be able to sustain unlimited data for all, but do we have a rough idea of the timeline or estimate of what it will be?[/quote']

He was just making the point that even though data costs are going down for the carriers, do not expect prices to drop. If anything, they will go up. Do not over read his comments. This is not some covert way to warn of us impending price increases ready to be instituted by Sprint. I don't expect any prices increases in the foreseeable future.

• Like 4

He was just making the point that even though data costs are going down for the carriers, do not expect prices to drop. If anything, they will go up. Do not over read his comments. This is not some covert way to warn of us impending price increases ready to be instituted by Sprint. I don't expect any prices increases in the foreseeable future.

T-Mobile is coming for Sprint, unlimited will be around for a little longer yet.

Unthrottled unlimited 4G is coming back!

Now Sprint has no choice but to keep unlimited data

http://gizmodo.com/5936764/t+mobile-is-probably-bringing-back-real-unlimited-data-plans-again

• Like 2

Well, look what losing a few hundred thousand customers can do!

My bet is that T-Mobile and Sprint will both use unlimited as a differentiator, while AT&T and Verizon...won't. Particularly Verizon, since they have so much LTE coverage now.

• Like 1

Network Vision calls for Sprint to first deploy LTE over the 1.9GHz spectrum it holds, followed by the 2.5GHz spectrum at some point and the 800MHz spectrum later, Chu said. The 1.9GHz channel offers wide geographical coverage, which means Sprint won't need to add more cell sites or towers as additional subscribers buy and use LTE smartphones and other devices, Chu said.

Is this how it's going to happen? For some reason, I thought it was going to start with 1900MHz, followed by 800, then 2500...

• Like 1

Mechanical downtilt is not remotely controlled with NV panels. However, that would be pretty trick.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I could have sworn I saw some photos of gear on a panel that was for adjusting the tilt remotely. Going to have dig around tomorrow.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I could have sworn I saw some photos of gear on a panel that was for adjusting the tilt remotely.

29b6b_console_video_game_computer_arcade_vintage_old_classic_pong_51ZVNA1Q3GL.jpg

AJ

• Like 5

T-Mobile is coming for Sprint, unlimited will be around for a little longer yet.

http://gizmodo.com/5...ata-plans-again

Glad to see T-Mobile bringing unlimited data back but I don't think they are gunning just for Sprint. The market is saturated so any customers you gain were stolen from somebody else. Its every man for himself now.

I could have sworn I saw some photos of gear on a panel that was for adjusting the tilt remotely. Going to have dig around tomorrow.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Here it is.. the ACU (Antenna Control Unit). It was in the pictures that guy took of the NV equipment in the warehouse. It looks like this is an actual motor of some sort looking at the spec sheet.

http://www.rfsworld.com/websearch/DataSheets/Default.aspx?q=ACU-A20-N

If you guys have more info or explanation on this that would be great.

Here it is.. the ACU (Antenna Control Unit). It was in the pictures that guy took of the NV equipment in the warehouse. It looks like this is an actual motor of some sort looking at the spec sheet.

http://www.rfsworld....spx?q=ACU-A20-N

If you guys have more info or explanation on this that would be great.

So, is this thing inside a panel? In all the NV pics I have seen to date, there are manual threaded rods that can be used to adjust the downtilt of the panel mechanically. However, if there is some sort of physical antenna manipulation inside the panel, then this is something I have not been aware of.

http://gizmodo.com/5...ata-plans-again

Woot! Stuff like this is only good for the mobile market! Hopefully this could eventually get AT&T and Verizon to bring back some sort of super high tier unlimited plan (and maybe the moon is made out of cheese). Although, it is unthrottled, unlimited "4G."

On a side note, what sort of spectrum holdings does T-Mobile have. I know they are in the 1900mhz band for their HSPA+, but do they have anything else they could really use for LTE?

Woot! Stuff like this is only good for the mobile market! Hopefully this could eventually get AT&T and Verizon to bring back some sort of super high tier unlimited plan (and maybe the moon is made out of cheese). Although, it is unthrottled, unlimited "4G."

On a side note, what sort of spectrum holdings does T-Mobile have. I know they are in the 1900mhz band for their HSPA+, but do they have anything else they could really use for LTE?

Actually they use their AWS (1700mhz) for HSPA+, and are migrating it to 1900mhz to support the iPhone.

• Like 1