USCellular 700, AWS Spectrum, PCS Spectrum

supert0nes

Not sure if anyone wants to discuss this, but looking at the omega map of USCellular:

http://specmap.sequence-omega.net/

They have to support 700, 850, 1700(ABC) and 1900 in their phones, and their coverage does not seem to line up very well.

It looks like 1900(as long as they support all bands) is the only block that they really support across their network.

I think they should sell the spectrum where they can't offer much/any native service, like in Minnesota (1900 F,C) however, preferably to Sprint.

850 is not supported in the southeast, but is their main cdma support for the northern markets. They should look to gain wherever they can, but they probably will never get the opportunity.

700(ABC) LTE are not supported in Chicago and only A is supported in Milwaukee, Madison. They should work to acquire the Verizon 700 Licenses where they offer service to bolster their LTE network.

Their AWS holdings are scattered all over the map. I think they should completely divest in this and consumers best interest would be if they were to sell it to T-Mobile.

This isn't any real analysis, but just observations that as a regional carrier, they hold some odd licenses, especially in areas they can't really service because the amount of spectrum they have is so small.

Yeah USCC's spectrum holdings are kinda all over the place. Much like Leap, i think their days as an independent carrier are numbered. They're currently doing better than Cricket, but it's inevitable that they'll be gobbled up one day.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah USCC's spectrum holdings are kinda all over the place. Much like Leap, i think their days as an independent carrier are numbered. They're currently doing better than Cricket, but it's inevitable that they'll be gobbled up one day.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

They are doing well financially. I think they're happy where they are. That being said I would jump for joy if Sprint bought them.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

True, financially they're doing adequate for the moment. However, their churn is up and they continue to lose postpaid subscribers. They're not doing Leap bad or even Sprint bad, but I'd still be mildly surprised if they survive the next few years intact.

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to point out something interesting I noticed. US Cellular has access to 700mhz spectrum they have been using exclusively to deploy LTE through an outfit called King Street Wireless. I just noticed that this license does not extend into my area,

KingStreetWirelessSpectrumMap.jpg

I thought they didn't have AWS either but they do, 10x10 worth of it as it turns out. This is probably what they will deploy. At least they're branching out to other spectrum bands. I hope they use PCS! They will have to use it (or cellular) in order to cover the rest of Oklahoma as the AWS license only covers the Tulsa area as well as a few other notable metros outside of Oklahoma (Milwaukee and others). However, judging by the specificity of the press release it looks like they will be using just that.

Press Release for their next round of LTE

• Like 1

I don't get it I see a lot of us cellular stores in Chicago why would they not offer lte is beyond me:huh:

USCC currently lacks sufficient spectrum to launch LTE in its hometown. USCC holds only 20 MHz of PCS spectrum. In fact, the only reason that USCC has native service at all in Chicago is that it acquired the former PrimeCo property that VZW had to divest in its formative merger a dozen years ago.

AJ

• Like 1

Lol I had a prime co phone ha the memories but that's sad that us in Chicago doesn't have lte and uscc from here wow they really need some spectrum fast

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Edited by mellimel2212

Lol I had a prime co phone ha the memories but that's sad that us in Chicago doesn't have lte and uscc from here wow they really need some spectrum fast

Sent from my Nexus S 4g rockin jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Any chance you switched from a Motorola to a PrimeCo phone? Is that you Lil Troy?!?

Maybe US Cellular can trade their (IMO useless to them) AWS-1 E block spectrum in the south for Verizon 700 A block in Chicago. The Government probably wont like Verizon gaining more spectrum, but it's in the best interest of both parties.

Maybe US Cellular can trade their (IMO useless to them) AWS-1 E block spectrum in the south for Verizon 700 A block in Chicago.

Before you call USCC's Mississippi Valley AWS E block 10 MHz license "useless," take into account a few considerations.

USCC does not have a great many major markets, but it does have several within its core territories. In the Mississippi Valley REA, USCC has current major markets St. Louis (PCS) and Knoxville (Cellular). Plus, potential major markets Kansas City, Memphis, and Nashville are proximate to its current footprint.

Also, USCC does not hold the Mississippi Valley AWS E block 10 MHz license directly. Rather, Barat Wireless, a designated entity, actually controls the license. USCC has only authorization from Barat to use the license for USCC deployment. USCC is in the process of acquiring full interest in Barat, but the FCC has not yet approved the transaction. See the application linked below:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/applMain.jsp?applID=6837973

So, if USCC does swap any AWS spectrum to VZW, it will not likely dump its entire Mississippi Valley license. But it might partition and trade off AWS in some Mississippi Valley BEAs outside of its current/potential core markets.

That is my expert analysis. And that will be $2000. You can cut Robert a check.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Thanks for explaining the full situation. It's always more complex than I like to think it is. I was hoping to see them out of the AWS game and proffit from it, but, unfortunately, it's their only option for LTE in those markets. Thanks also for the link to the Barat Wireless news.

I was looking at the USCC Galaxy S3 FCC filing and it doesn't look like antennas need to be spread all over the phone for the added frequencies. Maybe this will keep costs down and they can continue to host such a heterogeneus network. Maybe the support of 1700 will even allow them to do some sort of LTE roaming partnerships.

I think the one thing I did get right, is that they have to get the Chicago 700 A block, and they also hold spectrum in so many places they don't serve yet, that maybe it would be beneficial to use as trade bait.

That price of information might have two more 0's than I can afford though.

• Like 2

I think the one thing I did get right, is that they have to get the Chicago 700 A block, and they also hold spectrum in so many places they don't serve yet, that maybe it would be beneficial to use as trade bait.

Absolutely. I think that you can rest easy that USCC will buy VZW's Lower 700 MHz A block 12 MHz license. One, while DTV channel 51 is still active in the Chicago market, the adjacent channel interference issue has not scared off USCC in other markets. Two, AT&T wants to have nothing to do with the A block -- even if it is only to save face because of the (A block excluded) "boutique" band 12 that it created.

The biggest obstacle is that VZW already has a pending transaction with Leap Wireless (Cricket) for the A block in Chicago. But I am not sure that Cricket really wants to get into yet another band/band class. If USCC does not get the A block, then USCC will likely go head to head with AT&T over the B block, which VZW also holds in Chicago.

No problem. We can put you on a monthly payment plan. Or I could just be kidding, alluding to those professional wireless analysts who publish white papers at several grand a pop. It is a lucrative business. If S4GRU sticks around a while, maybe we can get into it.

AJ

• Like 1

I got your donation. What a good sport. That's awesome. I'll take it even with the two less zeroes!

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I got your donation. What a good sport. That's awesome. I'll take it even with the two less zeroes!

Tony, you are already a sponsor. If you made another donation because of my quip, I will be more than happy personally to contribute that amount back into your PayPal account.

I was only joking in my previous post. I do not charge for my info and have never, to my knowledge, made a dime off of the wireless industry.

AJ

Haha I'm just tossing in a little extra cash since I've been a member for a while and I read these forums/maps close to daily. I would have donated before the Minneapolis / Madison information started coming as well. It just seemed like a fun time to bump up my contribution. Thanks for the info though!

• Like 1

Absolutely. I think that you can rest easy that USCC will buy VZW's Lower 700 MHz A block 12 MHz license. One, while DTV channel 51 is still active in the Chicago market, the adjacent channel interference issue has not scared off USCC in other markets. Two, AT&T wants to have nothing to do with the A block -- even if it is only to save face because of the (A block excluded) "boutique" band 12 that it created.

The biggest obstacle is that VZW already has a pending transaction with Leap Wireless (Cricket) for the A block in Chicago. But I am not sure that Cricket really wants to get into yet another band/band class. If USCC does not get the A block, then USCC will likely go head to head with AT&T over the B block, which VZW also holds in Chicago.

No problem. We can put you on a monthly payment plan. Or I could just be kidding, alluding to those professional wireless analysts who publish white papers at several grand a pop. It is a lucrative business. If S4GRU sticks around a while, maybe we can get into it.

AJ

Is that the license LEAP just got? http://www.phonescoo...cle.php?a=11042

Edit: Leap press release: http://leapwireless.mediaroom.com/2012-08-28-Leap-Announces-Closing-of-Spectrum-Transactions-with-Verizon-Wireless

Is that the license LEAP just got? http://www.phonescoo...cle.php?a=11042

Edit: Leap press release: http://leapwireless....erizon-Wireless

Yes, that is correct. Now that it has given approval to the VZW-SpectrumCo transaction, the FCC has also given the go ahead to the much smaller VZW-Leap transaction. However, the question remains: will Leap do anything with an isolated Lower 700 MHz A block in Chicago or just turn around and sell it off to USCC?

AJ