700 Mhz LTE on Verizon

I live in the land of stucco. I didn't know they used the stuff in Minnesota. I think the absolute worst structure to be in is an adobe with a refurbished stucco finish. If the RF can get through the chicken wire, it can't get through the mud bricks. Add some LO-E coated windows to the mix and you almost have a perfect RF shield. Many high end homes in Santa Fe cannot get a good signal, even being one block from a tower.

My first home when I moved to New Mexico was a partial adobe. In the wood structure part of the house, I could get Sprint EVDO at approximately -87dBm. Moved to the adobe portion (which was the side closest to the tower), and I would get either nothing or -106dBm.

Robert

Oh you're up in Los Alamos right? My grandmother's family is from Pagosa Springs, CO and they almost all live in Santa Fe now, I know there they force them to use adobe to do the houses and I imagine if you have the chicken-wire in there you're pretty screwed no matter what. Don't you ever get hopeless with LTE so far out on the horizon for you and the prospect of not getting it at home when it comes?!

Ask and ye shall receive. I put together an ERP comparison table:

https://docs.google....dUFodGoycE1hRXc

AJ

The Samsung S3 LOOKS like it holds up very well against the other phones in the LTE line up, and seems to best the EVO 4G LTE in a few cases... I am glad I didn't let the reputation of Samsung's radios keep me from buying the phone. Once Robert releases his article on radio performance it will all be much clearer I am sure.

https://docs.google....dUFodGoycE1hRXc

AJ

First off, thank you very much! I know that I am not the only one who was curious, but you always have all the information.

Anyway, is there a reason that the vipers numbers look so good on paper, but is it really noticeably better then the other handsets? If you do not know that is fine, but your the jedi of frequency knowledge so if anyone would know, it would be you! lol

Part 22 regulations (Cellular 850 MHz): mobile station max ERP < 7 W

Part 24 regulations (PCS 1900 MHz): mobile station max EIRP < 2 W

Part 90 regulations (SMR 800 MHz): mobile station max ERP < 100 W

Part 27 regulations (Upper 700 MHz): mobile station max ERP < 3 W

AJ

This is the max power for end users, right (phones, hotspots, etc)? What about the Macro sites?

Oh you're up in Los Alamos right? My grandmother's family is from Pagosa Springs' date=' CO and they almost all live in Santa Fe now, I know there they force them to use adobe to do the houses and I imagine if you have the chicken-wire in there you're pretty screwed no matter what. Don't you ever get hopeless with LTE so far out on the horizon for you and the prospect of not getting it at home when it comes?![/quote']

I work in Los Alamos and live in a rural location in Northern Santa Fe County.

I'm not hopeless at all. I recognize there has to be a market order. Some will be first, some will be last. That's just the way it is. Also, Sprint's 3G is pretty good in the Los Alamos/Española region. Speeds are typically above 1Mbps. 3G is fair in most places in Santa Fe.

I can ride it out.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

I work in Los Alamos and live in a rural location in Northern Santa Fe County.

I'm not hopeless at all. I recognize there has to be a market order. Some will be first, some will be last. That's just the way it is. Also, Sprint's 3G is pretty good in the Los Alamos/Española region. Speeds are typically above 1Mbps. 3G is fair in most places in Santa Fe.

I can ride it out.

And you have a Sprint tower in your side yard ;)

And you have a Sprint tower in your side yard ;)

Oh yes, and then there is that!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArY31Mr219-ydFA2TnFsRFFJMmlodUFodGoycE1hRXc

AJ

So, the higher the ERP, the better the phone?

And if that's the case, then why is my signal so bad in my home? My Evo Shift had better signal for the most part.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

So, the higher the ERP, the better the phone?

No, better/best is a subjective assessment based on potentially many factors. ERP/EIRP is only *radiated* power; it does not measure reception.

AJ

No' date=' better/best is a subjective assessment based on potentially many factors. ERP/EIRP is only *radiated* power; it does not measure reception.

AJ[/quote']

Oh. I wish i could test my s3 side by side with the viper when i get the s3 next month, and see which one is better.

Oh. I wish i could test my s3 side by side with the viper when i get the s3 next month, and see which one is better.

Isn't Robert already testing phones for that very comparison? I thought I had read that a few weeks ago in the forums...

• Like 2

Isn't Robert already testing phones for that very comparison? I thought I had read that a few weeks ago in the forums...

Yeah, he has been testing them. But for me, it's testing in my individual environment that I want to do.

• Like 1