New OTA (LG4) update to start today for Galaxy S3 (possibly other ICS phones)

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_Galaxy_S_III_smartphone/case-fk158645-20120629-165043?&INTNAV=SU:DP:HDIA

In that link it says that it has "Optimized LTE system selection" among other things. Hopefully it won't have anything negative in it like the last one that killed universal search or degraded 3G/WiFi connections...

Hopefully this might be our fix on LTE 4G/3G overriding issues.

• Like 1

Yeah first thing I did was went to XDA to see if Blazer was updated yet. Of course I noticed since they split up the GSIII forums it looks like less people are in the forums.

Normally XDA gets their hands on updates a few days before the release..Wonder why it wasn't leaked for early adoption.

From what I can tell, the XDA community is clueless about this. The update had been announced for about 12 hours with not even a mention there. I just started a thread there.

I hope the OTA will be passed onto other LTE phones soon, I just called Sprint yesterday (For a third time) and they keep telling me the houston market is expirencing outages all over. I get LTE at my house off Binz and 288, spotty at best but atleast i know its working.

Is the HTC EVO 4G LTE and LG Viper getting a similar update? So far only the Galaxy Nexus and SGS3 have received OTA updates to have more optimized LTE connections.

I really hope Sprint puts the appropriate changes into the Motorola Photon Q before release so that it has the optimal LTE connection algorithms so it doesn't need a follow on update.

You need to be stock, or restore to stock, to apply updates like this.

To take the OTA, yes you do have to be stock with stock recovery. You can be rooted but you will lose root after flashing the OTA. The better way to do this is to wait for the developers to upload a update.zip file that you can flash via custom recovery like CWM that will keep your root, or that you can easily just flash the root back right after you flash the update.zip file.

This guy right here on xda-developers is in the process of uploading the entire update that can be flashed via CWM. It isn't done yet though. If you are stock rooted, you want to get the odexed version not the deodexed version.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1743923

As for what the update contains, no one has posted whether it is good or bad yet. There are so few cities with LTE it might be a while before we know how good the new modem/baseband firmware is or if it makes it worse like LG2 did for some. I am planning to flash that guy's update as soon as it is uploaded and I will test. I can always revert the baseband/modem to another version as there is a post on xda-developers with all the flashes for those too (LEN, LF9, and LG2), but keeps the other updates and reverts just the baseband/modem.

From what I can tell, the XDA community is clueless about this. The update had been announced for about 12 hours with not even a mention there. I just started a thread there.

I mentioned it on there yesterday in the flash radios thread

I mentioned it on there yesterday in the flash radios thread

After I posted that comment I did find an earlier thread in the Dev subforum, which is not my usual venue to browse. The General subforums have been in disarray for a couple of days because they are trying to reorganize them by carrier as they should have done all along. (Actually the XDA mods started the GS3 subforums separated several weeks ago, then mashed everything together into a big mess and now are trying to sort everything back to separate.)

From what I understand I cannot flash Radio update unless I have S-off right?

SO what do I do then?

With EVO LTE, YES, unless already on stock everything(rom, recovery) the S3 already have a downloadable update zip . EVO LTE hasnt had an update since the 1.22 one

From what I understand I cannot flash Radio update unless I have S-off right?

SO what do I do then?

Keep in mind this particular thread is gs3 related so don't get any ideas trying to flash a radio from a different device. To answer your question though, you can flash a radio without having to be s-off, a dev would just have to make it flashable through a custom recovery.

Funny part about calling Sprint or any provider now is they act like the Internet and forums don't exist. Like a person in the Atlanta market and Dallas market don't talk with each other in places like this site. Like we don't compare issues with handsets and service. I love how they say there is a outage in the area and within 15min or in some cases while on the phone with them still confirm with hundreds on people on sites like this that they are full of crap.

Know your customers please. Wish Mr. Hesse would call me and spend 20 min on the phone with me listening to my critique. Then again I would probably drop the call if I was at my job cause I haven't had service in that area in 8 years lol..

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

if you're GS3 is rooted then you simply need to flash the stock recovery via Odin...download the LG8 update and copy it to the internal storage or sd card...go into the stock recovery and flash it from there. You will lose root.

BTW...I can confirm the update does a MUCH better job of switching between 3G and LTE. No need to go into airplane mode...if there is a LTE signal around it will lock on.

• Like 2

There is also a modem only zip you can install without Odin. Not sure about switching since no lte here but it did improve my 3G signal

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I installed the stock update instead of the one I posted. That link is in the S3 Android Development forum also. Since I am stock but rooted, I can flash it via CWM recovery then immediately flash the TeamEpic "Root from Recovery" zip file before rebooting and I retain root. If you have uninstalled or freeze apps in Titanium Backup then it might not work because it does check to make sure you are stock before installing. I will again caveat that this is for the Galaxy S3 only, do not flash anything to other LTE phones till you get a specific update for your type of phone.

As for signal coverage. I now retain 4G in my office more than I have ever before. I used to have to have the phone pretty close to the window of my office but now I get it just having the phone laying on my desk. It says I have full bars but I am not sure the phone is actually reading the bars from the LTE connection or from my Voice connection. The reason I say that is when running speed tests I get the same speeds as I did before in my office. So it seems as if the update did something to the signal bars that might make it more inaccurate on what you are really getting signal strength wise. For instance the device info area tells me I am getting -75 to -81 signal level with 4G, but if I was getting that I would be pulling 20-25 Mbps down and I am only pulling 4-5 Mbps. So I am guessing that the signal levels in device info is from the CDMA signal for voice.

Overall I think it was good update, I am just not sure we can accurately look at our bars or signal levels on our phone anymore and correlate that to LTE signal.

As for signal coverage. I now retain 4G in my office more than I have ever before. I used to have to have the phone pretty close to the window of my office but now I get it just having the phone laying on my desk. It says I have full bars but I am not sure the phone is actually reading the bars from the LTE connection or from my Voice connection. The reason I say that is when running speed tests I get the same speeds as I did before in my office. So it seems as if the update did something to the signal bars that might make it more inaccurate on what you are really getting signal strength wise. For instance the device info area tells me I am getting -75 to -81 signal level with 4G, but if I was getting that I would be pulling 20-25 Mbps down and I am only pulling 4-5 Mbps. So I am guessing that the signal levels in device info is from the CDMA signal for voice.

Do you recall for sure how the Settings -> About screen reported dBm before the update?

If you are right about the update changing that screen to read CDMA voice strength instead of LTE strength, then this phone may have no way to show a dBm reading for LTE. Unless some third-party developer writes as app to pull it from the Android API, which is not standardized or well documented for this purpose.

Just to be sure, maybe somebody else with a GS3 in an LTE market could do some before-and-after tests of this particular screen when applying the update.