Would lte rollout be quicker if light squared was allowed to use their spectrum?

I'm in no way saying sprint is slow at releasing lte, I'm just curious if light squared would be making the process faster or not?

Also I read an article about the government allowing the same spectrum now, so is light squared back or did they go bankrupt?

I'm in no way saying sprint is slow at releasing lte, I'm just curious if light squared would be making the process faster or not?

Also I read an article about the government allowing the same spectrum now, so is light squared back or did they go bankrupt?

Doubt it... I don't think LS had anything to do with Sprint's NetworkVision roll out. That was a common misconception in many forums. Some people even jumped to the conclusion that Sprints LTE plans were doomed. lol After looking around this forum, It doesn't appear those fallacious conclusions have much merit now. However, the cash that LS would have given Sprint for hosting would be nice.

Doubt it... I don't think LS had anything to do with Sprint's NetworkVision roll out. That was a common misconception in many forums. Some people even jumped to the conclusion that Sprints LTE plans were doomed. lol After looking around this forum, It doesn't appear those fallacious conclusions have much merit now. However, the cash that LS would have given Sprint for hosting would be nice.

I heard they were going to pay sprint to help deploy their network. I'm not sure if that means it'll be quicker or just more cost efficient.

I heard they were going to pay sprint to help deploy their network. I'm not sure if that means it'll be quicker or just more cost efficient.

In a nutshell yes but that deal has been dead in the water for a while now.

Lightsquared was going to pay some of the upfront costs, but most of the contract was down the road with Lightsquared sharing in the operating costs. PCmag has an article with some of the details here http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389312,00.asp

Whether or not it would have sped up the rollout... Sprint has no buildout requirements, so the only thing keeping them to their aggressive rollout is the cost of losing customers. If Lightsquared was in the picture, they might have had some buildout requirements that were part of them being approved to use their spectrum. That might have forced them to hold the contractors to the planned buildout rate, and sped it up or at least kept it on the schedule that Sprint is currently using.

As far as Lightsquared being back or bankrupt. They are in bankrupcy protection, but there is some support to try to swap their spectrum with some DoD spectrum, so they can still deploy their network. Basically their entire future depends on that spectrum swap.

• Like 2

Side note: LS has a LOT of spectrum...it's just kind of unusable right now. I counted 68MHz nationwide? If they can get two-thirds of that via a swap they can still build a decent network. Oh wait, they'll go bankrupt first :/

How about as a wholesaler or investor?

They are bankrupt and would need to find investors to be able to do anything like this. If someone wanted to invest in clearwire why would they go through Lightsquared first to get to clearwire? They could just invest in clearwire.

• Like 3

They are bankrupt and would need to find investors to be able to do anything like this. If someone wanted to invest in clearwire why would they go through Lightsquared first to get to clearwire? They could just invest in clearwire.

I heard that LightSquared recently received approval on a $51.4 million bankruptcy loan. I wonder what that money is going to be spent on.

Source: http://www.bloomberg...llion-loan.html

Bankruptcy attorneys?

Is that the job for Philip Falcone's Harbinger Capital Partners?

Harbinger seeks investments that typically fall into the following four categories:

1. Event – investments in companies where the Harbinger team identifies a significant opportunity to actively engage with a company to unlock value;
  2. Distressed/Bankruptcy – investments in companies that are already in default, in bankruptcy, or in some other stage of financial failure or distress;
  3. Value – passive investments in securities where Harbinger believes a positive catalyst for value realization is already present; and
  4. Corporate Shorts – passive investments where Harbinger views the security to be overvalued or believes weakening fundamental trends or identifiable negative catalysts are apparent.

Philip Falcone leads Harbinger's investment team, relying on his extensive experience in distressed debt, leveraged finance, and special situations across an array of market cycles.

Source: http://www.harbinger...html/about.html

Corporate Shorts –

I got your corporate shorts right here...

blue-shorts-tie-black-suit_400.jpg

AJ

• Like 7

^

Hilarious! When S4GRU does their annual awards, I nominate AJ for Forum Clown! :)

Nah, danielholt is already waging an all out publicity campaign for that award.

AJ

• Like 3

Corporate Shorts

I got your corporate shorts right here...

Thanks guys, now I know why Lightsquared might be interested in clearwire. Corporate shorts... Those clearwire buys know how to party.

• Like 2

It's going to be spent on trying to get a spectrum swap (my guess).

That's their only hope.

Is there really any chance of this happening? I would like to see them approve a swap, but I was also thinking of the original problem with the GPS interference, as it will still exist for whoever would get and try to use the frequency. I have been having GPS connection problems with my phone and in-car unit, and I was wondering if they would be allowed to deploy a medium power GPS signal from the towers where the spectrum was being deployed? If there was a stronger GPS Signal and they used a 5MHz guard band, would that alleviate some of the problems with this spectrum?

I am not sure if that is possible, but if anyone would know, its the readers on this forum! lol.

Is there really any chance of this happening? I would like to see them approve a swap, but I was also thinking of the original problem with the GPS interference, as it will still exist for whoever would get and try to use the frequency.

Keep in mind that LightSquared's L band spectrum adjacent to GPS is slated for satellite downlink transmission, not terrestrial downlink transmission. LightSquared's Ancillary Terrestrial Component (ATC) use was possible only under conditional FCC waiver. And, well, LightSquared was not able to meet those conditions. So, a potential spectrum swap would likely require that the L band spectrum adjacent to GPS be used only as satellite downlink as originally intended. LightSquared and its predecessors have been using L band spectrum for satellite downlink operations for years, coexisting just fine with GPS.

I have been having GPS connection problems with my phone and in-car unit, and I was wondering if they would be allowed to deploy a medium power GPS signal from the towers where the spectrum was being deployed? If there was a stronger GPS Signal and they used a 5MHz guard band, would that alleviate some of the problems with this spectrum?

No. GPS operates on the basic principle of time of arrival -- the greater the distance from the GPS satellite, the later the time of arrival. A pseudo GPS signal broadcast from a cell site would have a much earlier time of arrival than would the signal broadcast from any of the GPS satellites, not to mention that it would likely swamp the signal from any/all GPS satellites. Thus, a cell site based geolocation system would have to be separate from GPS.

AJ

Keep in mind that LightSquared's L band spectrum adjacent to GPS is slated for satellite downlink transmission, not terrestrial downlink transmission. LightSquared's Ancillary Terrestrial Component (ATC) use was possible only under conditional FCC waiver. And, well, LightSquared was not able to meet those conditions. So, a potential spectrum swap would likely require that the L band spectrum adjacent to GPS be used only as satellite downlink as originally intended. LightSquared and its predecessors have been using L band spectrum for satellite downlink operations for years, coexisting just fine with GPS.

No. GPS operates on the basic principle of time of arrival -- the greater the distance from the GPS satellite, the later the time of arrival. A pseudo GPS signal broadcast from a cell site would have a much earlier time of arrival than would the signal broadcast from any of the GPS satellites, not to mention that it would likely swamp the signal from any/all GPS satellites. Thus, a cell site based geolocation system would have to be separate from GPS.

AJ

Don't we have terrestrial GPS sites that augment the satellite signals? How are those used?

Don't we have terrestrial GPS sites that augment the satellite signals? How are those used?

None that I know of. Are you thinking of SDARS (e.g. Sirius XM) terrestrial repeaters?

AJ

None that I know of. Are you thinking of SDARS (e.g. Sirius XM) terrestrial repeaters?

AJ

Maybe they are thinking of LORAN?

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

AJ

He's probably thinking about about WAAS (http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html) and the European equivalent EGNOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Geostationary_Navigation_Overlay_Service) - I won't be redudant and repeat what the links say, but they essentially work to increase the accuracy of exisiting GPS: