Battery life on lte?

So this may or may not be on topic with the intent of this site, but how is battery life on your lte phone? I got the evo lte and was curious on how the battery performed while on lte? Also, has anyone been able to wifi tether lte from their phone?

So this may or may not be on topic with the intent of this site, but how is battery life on your lte phone? I got the evo lte and was curious on how the battery performed while on lte? Also, has anyone been able to wifi tether lte from their phone?

This is a good question. I am wondering myself. I have all four LTE smartphones from Sprint. I can tell you that in the Sprint LTE phones to date, there is virtually no difference in battery life in CDMA only versus CDMA/LTE mode when not connected to LTE. However, I do not know if that is still true with an active LTE connection. It may be too soon for our members to comment, but I'd love to hear some feedback. :confused:

Robert

With the "Sprint Optimizer" turned on I saw no difference in battery life whatsoever while 4G was active. The problem with the optimizer is that I didn't get 4G as much as I would like because the optimizer turns the radio off after it scans and finds no 4G signal. I don't know the amount of time before it turns back on to scan again. I realize the optimizer is to increase battery life. Once I turned off the optimizer and manually turned on and off wifi when I needed it I did see a little less battery life with the LTE radio always on. I can not quantify the amount of decrease yet. I am going to run it for a few more days with and without the optimizer on and see if it changes doing the same things on both days (streaming audio etc...).

I agree with Robert before LTE was actually on I saw no difference whether I had LTE/CDMA or CDMA checked. Now that of course was with the optimizer on, so it is possible had I had the optimizer turned off while LTE was not active the LTE radio would have stayed on all the time and decreased my battery. A little late to test that now, since I don't want to change it back to CDMA only anymore! :)

Actually battery life with lte connected isn't bad at all, to tell you the truth its not really that big of a difference compared to 3g. Now at this moment its hard to really tell because I find myself streaming/downloading all sorts of stuff now but other than that its not that big of a difference, at least not to me.

• Like 3

Battery life was help with the big capacity it has on the LTE phone. It has help alot!

Why does 1x or on roaming drain the battery so quickly?

It seems like the phone is constantly looking for a better signal during those situations, hence the battery drain.

I was connected to a solid LTE signal (3-4 bars) for a couple of hours the yesterday here in Fort Worth. I was checking facebook and looking at the radar for threatening storms. I even ran a few speed tests to post on this forum. I noticed no major drain on the battery. In fact, it discharged less than it usually does under a similar number of bars with 3G. This was in stark contrast to my experience with WiMax, where I might as well have been powering a USB toaster with my EVO.

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2

• Like 6

I was connected to a solid LTE signal (3-4 bars) for a couple of hours the yesterday here in Fort Worth. I was checking facebook and looking at the radar for threatening storms. I even ran a few speed tests to post on this forum. I noticed no major drain on the battery. In fact, it discharged less than it usually does under a similar number of bars with 3G. This was in stark contrast to my experience with WiMax, where I might as well have been powering a USB toaster with my EVO.

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2

LOL, so true.

From what I've been reading on other forums, the Galaxy S3 and the EVO 4G LTE should not experience any battery drain with LTE on because the LTE modem is integrated onto the Snapdragon S4 processor instead of being a seperate chip. I am not too sure about the Viper and the Galaxy Nexus though...

• Like 1

From what I've been reading on other forums, the Galaxy S3 and the EVO 4G LTE should not experience any battery drain with LTE on because the LTE modem is integrated onto the Snapdragon S4 processor instead of being a seperate chip. I am not too sure about the Viper and the Galaxy Nexus though...

That sounds promising. Can't wait for LTE to hit my area!

Is it just me or does the print optimizer seem to turn on wifi and leave it on?

On the GS3, I had to turn off SCO. I have a bug that if I am connected to WiFi and go out of range connected, my device will not transition to mobile data. It still thinks I am connected to WiFi, even if I am a mile away. Nothing will restore mobile data, either when it happens. I can cycle mobile data, cycle airplane mode, it doesn't matter. Because the device thinks it is on WiFi still, even though the icon is not showing in the status bar.

If I turn off WiFi myself before going out of range, I have no problems. The only work around I have found is turning on the WiFi again and then turning it back off manually. If you are in WiFi signal range, it always works. If you are not, sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

how do you find the sprint optimizer?

I think this may be specific to the gs3 and not the evo.

That sounds promising. Can't wait for LTE to hit my area!

Me neither'!!! Hope they don't forget about us back here in Puerto Rico.... :blink:

Posted desde el htcEVO4g usando Tapatalk 2.0

Bought the GS3 soon as it came out. Prior to LTE turn on, I left WiFi on for our companies connection, connected to 3G at about -96dB (2-3 bars) I would drain about 60-70% battery in a day, leaving about 30% driving home.

Now I am on LTE coverage all day at work (-105db, 3 bars) and drain about 40-50% battery with WiFi off over 8 or 9 hours. The past three days I have left with over 50% battery, about the same use. Could be due to the fact I don't need to use wifi anymore, not sure.

At my house I am on WiFi and an Airrave that gives crap for signal (-95 to -110dB 3G/1X) and my battery drains much faster, just like my old phone. At my girlfriends apartment I get 3G only, but about -60db signal (full bars, tower across the street) and I'm pretty sure my phone can't die there. Last weekend I got 18 hours using WiFi under heavy use. No LTE there yet sadly (I can force a -120db connection but it's not really worth it).

In comparison, my WiMax phones (OG Epic and Epic Touch) would not last the day at work on 3G or a day at home. At the girlfriends house, the Epic Touch would make it a day, unless I turned on WiMax. WiMax was great at her place, full signal, but as far as battery life I'd rather not talk about it. To the guy who made the comment about running a USB toaster off his phone, I disagree. I could only really use WiMax if I plugged my phone in, and with the power draw of that radio plus the charging of the battery, I'm almost positive I could toast some pop tarts WITH my phone, no toaster necessary.

Edited by v8bait
  • Like 1

Surprisingly good on my galaxy s III.

The difference is incredibly minimal for me. I leave it on consistently (with the network optimizer off) and I have 0 battery life problems. With my previous Evo and Evo3d...Wimax would've demolished the battery in hours. Now? I rock it all day and night, no complaints.

I guess its only for the S3, because I can't find any kind of settings similar on the EVO LTE. And, is it me or does the S3 seem to connect to the LTE better? I ask this because of users with the S3 are raving about the LTE, and those of us with the EVO are still trying lol.

• 2 months later...

On the GS3, I had to turn off SCO. I have a bug that if I am connected to WiFi and go out of range connected, my device will not transition to mobile data. It still thinks I am connected to WiFi, even if I am a mile away. Nothing will restore mobile data, either when it happens. I can cycle mobile data, cycle airplane mode, it doesn't matter. Because the device thinks it is on WiFi still, even though the icon is not showing in the status bar.

If I turn off WiFi myself before going out of range, I have no problems. The only work around I have found is turning on the WiFi again and then turning it back off manually. If you are in WiFi signal range, it always works. If you are not, sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I haven't had that issue with my GS3. It transitioned just fine to/from 3G/WiFi. I have since turned off the Optimizer since I understand how to manually change my connections and I am aware of what connections I have available at all times. It's meant for the average user primarily who doesn't understand what 90% of their phone can do to begin with.

I haven't had that issue with my GS3. It transitioned just fine to/from 3G/WiFi. I have since turned off the Optimizer since I understand how to manually change my connections and I am aware of what connections I have available at all times. It's meant for the average user primarily who doesn't understand what 90% of their phone can do to begin with.

After the first OTA, this issue went away for me. All is good now.

Robert

How do you force a 120db connection?

Put on some AC/DC or Metallica. Turn your amp and speakers up really loud.

AJ

• Like 2