Network Vision/LTE - Atlanta/Athens Market

frank04

Btw, since I landed at the airport, I have gotten an LTE connection several times, but it keep dropping...

Sent from my EVOlte using tapatalk

I work at the airport. I use to get 4G with 1/5 bar on my 3D. My 3G always go in and out making any data connection unbearable.

I am suspecting the LTE signal is coming from one of those tower near I-75 and there are no LTE tower at the Atlanta airport yet.

Edited by chong67

I work at the airport. I use to get 4G with 1/5 bar on my 3D. My 3G always go in and out making any data connection unbearable.

I am suspecting the LTE signal is coming from one of those tower near I-75 and there are no LTE tower at the Atlanta airport yet.

Yeah, I just flew out of atlanta on saturday and I didn't get a signal on either of my devices.

It's highly variable. In dense urban situations, they may be designed to go blocks or a half mile. In suburban location, it may be 1-3 miles. In a rural location, 3 to 7 miles.

In remote places, on a 300' boomer in a wide open area without much ground clutter, CDMA signals can go 7-10 miles on PCS 1900. 800MHz will go even further than that.

Robert

I guess with absolutely no obstructions it can be even further than 10 miles. There have been times where I have gone deep sea fishing and still get a sprint signal and we were 15 to 20 miles out to sea.

I guess with absolutely no obstructions it can be even further than 10 miles. There have been times where I have gone deep sea fishing and still get a sprint signal and we were 15 to 20 miles out to sea.

The furthest in my observations that I have been able to confirm is about 12-14 miles on PCS. And about 18-20 miles on Cellular 850.

Robert

Up at our cabin north of Deer River, MN we are able to connect to the one Sprint tower in Deer River and we are exactly 18.5 miles NW of the tower with woods the whole way and can make calls outside and inside the cabin and text. EVDO isn't able to work but 1X data works ok but not great. This is obviously on Sprint 1900MHz and I'm absolutely amazed it reaches this far. This has been confirmed based on checking the PN when we are a mile from the tower and have great signal and EV and then checking again at our cabin.

• Like 2

After the GN update, I no longer get a 4G signal at the intersection of Collins Hill and 316 in Lawrenceville. It was odd that I did get 4G there.

BUT, I get strong 4G from Indian Trail to 285 West on I-85 (I used to only get it at around Jimmy Carter). Who in the world needs a signal on highway anyway but I'm assuming you get that signal in and around the exits.

Here's the kicker - at work on 2nd floor, I get weak 3G and it kills my battery. I went to the 3rd and 4th floor and I get 3G. I went to 5th floor and great 4G signal. Obviously, altitude makes a big difference in signal reception.

If you live in high altitude, I guest you're in luck??

After the GN update' date=' I no longer get a 4G signal at the intersection of Collins Hill and 316 in Lawrenceville. It was odd that I did get 4G there.

BUT, I get strong 4G from Indian Trail to 285 West on I-85 (I used to only get it at around Jimmy Carter). Who in the world needs a signal on highway anyway but I'm assuming you get that signal in and around the exits.

Here's the kicker - at work on 2nd floor, I get weak 3G and it kills my battery. I went to the 3rd and 4th floor and I get 3G. I went to 5th floor and great 4G signal. Obviously, altitude makes a big difference in signal reception.

If you live in high altitude, I guest you're in luck??[/quote']

You are picking up a LTE signal from a site farther away that the panels are better aligned with the top of the building. Most likely that remote site is on a hill and better aimed for the higher points in the building. This happens all the time with WiMax Protection Sites too.

When the closer sites start to come live, you will have coverage lower in the building too.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Listen, have you all given up hope on trying to get your phone to 4G indicator?

I have given up. Sometime I get it and sometime I dont.

So unless my cable modem breaks down, I dont bother.

Even with my 4G indicator comes on, it still does not work.

I just dont know what is going on.

I shall just let it be. How about you?

After the GN update, I no longer get a 4G signal at the intersection of Collins Hill and 316 in Lawrenceville. It was odd that I did get 4G there.

If you live in high altitude, I guest you're in luck??

That's great news! I'll tell you who needs it on the interstate...I do. I carpool daily to downtown, and provided I'm not driving, I'm typically looking for 4G signals. Wimax 4G was always sproradic thru here, I would get it but not long enough to do anything with it. Thus far on my EVO, I haven't been able to get any LTE on 85 or downtown so I'm looking forward to having it for the commute. I just want to rub my buddy's AT&T Ipod in the dirt by streaming HBO Go, in HD of course on that big EVO screen. I really hope the software update lands this week. Thanks for the info..

For right now I've given up... I'm in Houston this week and have seen 4G for about 12 seconds on my GS3. Back to Atlanta tomorrow, hoping that with the new update I applied while in Houston I'll have a little better luck with the 4Gees at work in Sandy Springs. But being on the 7th floor, probably not. Argh.

Does anyone know when the next update for Evo 4G LTE is due? Although I can connect to various LTE enable towers I can never use the signal. If I try a speed test the app times out..Frustrating to say the least!

Just got this in Oakwood, GA. It is not on the map as live. 425767ff-bcdc-6327.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If its not on the map as live don't expect it to be there forever....meaning it could be there today but gone tomorrow.............and then back again 3 days later.................then gone 2 days later.........etc.

This is the second time I have gotten it in the area in the last week. It is also the second time I have been in the area. I am just glad to see that they are still expanding in the Atlanta area and not stopping where they are.

Does anyone know when the next update for Evo 4G LTE is due? Although I can connect to various LTE enable towers I can never use the signal. If I try a speed test the app times out..Frustrating to say the least!

....Better to have lived and seen the 4G icon then to never have seen the 4G icon at all.......

btw - I dont think that is because of the phone. They're still working out the kinks.

• Like 2

Just got this in Oakwood, GA. It is not on the map as live. 425767ff-bcdc-6327.jpg

Which site is it in Oakwood? The one next I-985 or the one off Meeks Drive?

Robert

I am not sure, I was at Taco Bell in Oakwood when I ran the test. I do not have an app that tells me what tower I am on. What app would you suggest that is best to tell me the tower? I can go back tomorrow and get the tower and let you know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I am not sure, I was at Taco Bell in Oakwood when I ran the test. I do not have an app that tells me what tower I am on. What app would you suggest that is best to tell me the tower? I can go back tomorrow and get the tower and let you know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You would have most likely been connected to the one near the exit at I-985 and Mundy Mill Road then. Thanks!

Robert

Found a pool of 4G LTE at the Mall of Georgia so I jumped in.

42576c55-3ea8-e13c.jpg

I am just glad I found some 4G love before I root some Jelly Bean this weekend.

Mav. :cool:

Sent with Apple's permission on my Galaxy Nexus.

• Like 3

I see that the 3 towers around me are not listed for NV everything else is part of it. They seem to be skipping over me. Does anyone have an explanation?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

I see that the 3 towers around me are not listed for NV everything else is part of it. They seem to be skipping over me. Does anyone have an explanation?

Every tower at some point or another will be upgraded. Each one of the vendors have their own schedules. I'm sure at some point your local tower cluster will be worked on. The whole NV/LTE project revolves around touching every tower.

Which map are you looking at? The NV Sites Complete map only shows completed sites, not sites that are still waiting for Network Vision upgrades to be completed.

If you go to the Network Vision Site Maps, they show all the sites in your market.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner