Roaming in Canada with the Evo LTE?

Odell

I will be in the Windsor area of Canada for a short time next week and I want to know if the EvoLTE will work there. Sprint's list of devices that will work doesn't list this phone. It may not have been updated in awhile. Anyone have any experience with roaming in Canada?

I will be in the Windsor area of Canada for a short time next week and I want to know if the EvoLTE will work there. Sprint's list of devices that will work doesn't list this phone. It may not have been updated in awhile. Anyone have any experience with roaming in Canada?

It should work. There are two nationwide CDMA carriers in Canada (Bell and Telus). They've since both migrated to HSPA+ (and maybe LTE?), with a network sharing agreement, but their CDMA networks should stay up and running for awhile yet.

Most Canadian cellular providers now have an HSPA/+ network of some sort (Rogers, Bell/Telus, Wind, Mobilicity, Videotron, maybe Sasktel), but I digress.

• Like 1

Yes, iansltx is correct. Both Bell and Telus are national CDMA1X/EV-DO carriers in Canada. Basically, Bell has the Cellular B-side licenses in the eastern provinces, while Telus has the Cellular B-side licenses in the western provinces (and Rogers has the Cellular A-side licenses everywhere). So, in Windsor, ON, Bell will be dual band Cellular 850 MHz and PCS 1900 MHz, and Telus will be PCS 1900 MHz. I am not sure which, though, is currently higher priority in the Sprint PRL. That said, Windsor is just across the river from Detroit, so Sprint signal will bleed over in many locations.

AJ

I'm mainly going to be in Detroit but we are thinking of popping over the border for a bit since we've never been to Canada. I don't plan on doing any heavy data but it's good to know I'll have use in case some of those Canadian hooligans decide to accost me and my wife and I need to call ole Dudley Do-Right. Now that I think about it, that's more likely to happen in Detroit than Canada...

I'm mainly going to be in Detroit but we are thinking of popping over the border for a bit since we've never been to Canada. I don't plan on doing any heavy data but it's good to know I'll have use in case some of those Canadian hooligans decide to accost me and my wife and I need to call ole Dudley Do-Right. Now that I think about it, that's more likely to happen in Detroit than Canada...

A. Detroit is a nightmare. Some of the suburbs are gorgeous and Ann Arbor is to die for. But, Detroit, really??

B. Windsor is part of the same metro area, albeit across the border. You'll definitely be able to use your native signal there with no issue whatsoever so long as you stay within a few miles of the border (Windsor is small so this shouldn't be a problem). Trust me, I know from personal experience re: this exact situation.

C. Next time you go to Canada, do yourself a favor and just continue down the 401 to Toronto. It's only 4 more hours but SO worth the drive!!

• 2 weeks later...

A. Detroit is a nightmare. Some of the suburbs are gorgeous and Ann Arbor is to die for. But, Detroit, really??

B. Windsor is part of the same metro area, albeit across the border. You'll definitely be able to use your native signal there with no issue whatsoever so long as you stay within a few miles of the border (Windsor is small so this shouldn't be a problem). Trust me, I know from personal experience re: this exact situation.

C. Next time you go to Canada, do yourself a favor and just continue down the 401 to Toronto. It's only 4 more hours but SO worth the drive!!

Yes Toronto is so worth the drive!

That's what Clearwire said.

:P

AJ

Well I didn't have any problems with using my phone in Canada. The problem was in my hotel room in Detroit. I guess the signal couldn't reach up the 49th floor. Of course they didn't have free in-room wifi and I wasn't going to pay 12 bucks a day to get it either.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

Well I didn't have any problems with using my phone in Canada. The problem was in my hotel room in Detroit. I guess the signal couldn't reach up the 49th floor. Of course they didn't have free in-room wifi and I wasn't going to pay 12 bucks a day to get it either.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Forum Runner

12 bucks a day.... good grief. Who even pays that?

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

Well to be fair, you get so much more than just wifi...

For a daily rate of 12.95 USD, the following features are available in your guest room:

• High-speed Internet access
    • Unlimited local phone calls
    • Unlimited long distance calls (within the country), not available in all markets

:rolleyes: