4G Cores (Switch centers)

NorthAmerica-PIP.png

Adam Carolla has a theory that the niceness of a place is inversely proportional to the niceness of its name. He used the examples of Bellflower and Bell Gardens as nice sounding but not really that nice suburbs of LA. If that theory holds true, then Roachdale must be one of the nicest places to live in the entire country.

AJ

• Like 4

I had never seen that map before. How cool is that? :jester:

Robert

I love how their Node is located right off the railroad tracks. I wonder if that's legacy from the railroad days.

400 Taylor Street

Springfield, MA 01105

Probably easy to light up that 4G site in Springfield when your node is right there.

I bet Sprint 4G LTE is pretty fast there :) I should make a road trip.

Also, who do you think makes the best basestation/RRU/antennas? AL, Ericsson, or Samsung?

• Like 1

I love how their Node is located right off the railroad tracks. I wonder if that's legacy from the railroad days.

400 Taylor Street

Springfield, MA 01105

It was probably easier to lay fiber along the RR right of way back when they were running the first cross country fiber.

It was probably easier to lay fiber along the RR right of way back when they were running the first cross country fiber.

Sprint used to be owned by railroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_Nextel

Southern Pacific maintained an extensive microwave communications system along its rights-of-way that the railroad used for internal communications. After the Execunet II decision, Southern Pacific expanded its internal communications network by laying fiber optic cables along the same rights-of-way. In 1972, Southen Pacific Communications began selling surplus system capacity to corporations for use as private lines, circumventing AT&T's then-monopoly on public telephony. Prior attempts at offering long distance voice services had not been approved by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), although a fax service (called SpeedFAX) was permitted.

• Like 4

Good to see cogent and tiscali on the way up. Fortunately cogent has stopped doing the peer a peer b setup.

"Cogent will set up two BGP peers per each customer connection. Peer A is

where the customer will send Cogent its routes and Peer B is where all the routes

are sent to the customer. Two single IP addresses will be assigned for Loopback

addresses on the customer router and the Cogent router. The routes for these

will be announced to each other in Peer A and will be the neighbor IP addresses

for Peer B."

After the Execunet II decision, Southern Pacific expanded its internal communications network by laying fiber optic cables along the same rights-of-way.

I nailed it! :) Sometimes even I get lucky.

Probably easy to light up that 4G site in Springfield when your node is right there.

I bet Sprint 4G LTE is pretty fast there :) I should make a road trip.

Nah, I heard that Boston is backhauled to the New York 4G core located in the Bronx because anything from Boston has to go through the Bronx first.

:P

AJ

• Like 5

Nah, I heard that Boston is backhauled to the New York 4G core located in the Bronx because anything from Boston has to go through the Bronx first.

:P

AJ

Sadly, true.

1 sl-crs1-spr(Springfield)-0-4-3-0.sprintlink.net (144.232.8.51) 4 msec 4 msec 4 msec

2 sl-crs1-nyc(BRONX...)-0-8-0-1.sprintlink.net (144.232.18.206) 4 msec 4 msec 8 msec

3 144.232.4.85 4 msec

144.232.4.89 4 msec

144.232.4.85 8 msec

4 sl-gw50-nyc-.sprintlink.net (144.232.1.20) 4 msec

sl-gw50-nyc-.sprintlink.net (144.232.1.22) 4 msec 4 msec

5 nyc-brdr (aka bronx)-02.inet.qwest.net (205.171.1.133) [AS 209] 4 msec 4 msec 8 msec

6 bst (back to boston again)-edge-03.inet.qwest.net [AS 209] 12 msec 16 msec 16 msec

Just really sad... it hurts, no need to rub it in.

Since there is a 4G core in Omaha' date=' does that increase the chances of LTE going live sooner?[/quote']

No. :(

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• 4 weeks later...

On the railroad topic, Sprint has a large portion of sites located along RR ROW. In fact the Sprint Switch in Cheyenne is located right off of the Union Pacific yard as you cross the viaduct into downtown Cheyenne. From Cheyenne south there is an old retired fiber that runs down the UP ROW south to Denver along with a newer fiber line that was Touch America and has been bought about 8 times since the 90's and I'm not sure who owns it now. Sprint also has another 72 count cable that runs south from Cheyenne that is east of the UP ROW lines.

The routes east and west out of Cheyenne follow the UP ROW as well. The route north out of Cheyenne (TA Joint venture) winds it way up to Casper all the way up to Billings. I will see if I have any digital maps anymore.

Once upon a time I had a couple of routes out of Cheyenne and got to play with the CDMA sites in Northern Colorado and the few in Cheyenne. Memories.

• Like 3

It is odd. Especially since there are locations in the Denver area and Omaha area. But, like mentioned above, the LTE network and cores are designed for redundancy. Even though each site has a primary core, traffic (all or a portion) can be directed to many different cores. This will provide a more consistent experience and also probably help prevent the problems of the core crashes that Verizon has had.

With dynamic core loading, Sprint can start to shuttle off part of a cores traffic to other cores, seamlessly on the fly. And if they have a catastrophic failure that shuts down a core, they can change all that traffic somewhere else. Almost instantly. And they can spread that traffic across several cores, not just one.

It's pretty awesome. They wish they had that kind of flexibility with their 1x and EVDO network at MSC Switch facilities.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Just curious, will there be need for sprint to add additional 4G cores as traffic increases in a few years? I realize this will be more than fine for the time being, but if they are able to increase their subscriber base and convert a high percentage to LTE, will it be necessary to add more?

Also, I thought they were running the 3G EVDO through these cores as well (eHRPD or something), so were you just referring to legacy EVDO switch centers?

Just curious' date=' will there be need for sprint to add additional 4G cores as traffic increases in a few years? I realize this will be more than fine for the time being, but if they are able to increase their subscriber base and convert a high percentage to LTE, will it be necessary to add more?

Also, I thought they were running the 3G EVDO through these cores as well (eHRPD or something), so were you just referring to legacy EVDO switch centers?[/quote']

There likely will not be any additional core locations, at least not for a long time. Most likely if additional core capacity is needed, they will expand existing facilities. I think the best shot at ever adding additional core sites is if they added service areas...like Montana or the Dakotas.

eHRPD will be routed through the 4G cores. I was just referring to EVDO when discussing switches.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• 11 months later...

What I don't know is if they can cross OEM lines. Can an Ericsson site get routed through a Samsung 4G core? I don't know the answer to that question.

Robert

Should be able to, but not sure.

• Chicago, Illinois
Any clues as to where this is located?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Probably colocated at the local switch or the nearest Sprint IP Backbone POP

Probably colocated at the local switch or the nearest Sprint IP Backbone POP

http://www.sprint.com/wholesale/docs/CLEC_forum/data_products.pdf

Best network map I've found yet. It actually shows the POP in my town. Unfortunately, no good when it comes to finding where their Chicago POP is. Some carriers would have it directly in 350 E. Cermak. Others have them in their own facilities or even 520\600 S. Federal. I'll keep digging...

I have no idea.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk