Connected to Verizon eHRPD today with new GS-III

Today I put my new GS-III through all the rigmarole. I installed a secondary Verizon/Alltel PRL for those times I need to 3G roam, that I can switch to on the fly from within the device. Whilst doing so, I noticed something unexpected.

While sitting there in the Burger King drive thru, I decide to take the Verizon PRL out for a spin. I install while waiting for my turn to get to the window, the device reboots. I go into NetMonitor immediately, and it says "Carrier - Verizon" and "Network Type: eHRPD." However, it stayed on eHRPD about 45 seconds and then switched over to EVDO-Rev. A. When it switched to EVDO, the 3G icon disappeared for about 15 seconds and then came back on, indicating I was reconnected to data.

gallery_1_1_834.jpg
I was surprised with this result. I wasn't ever expecting to be able to connect to eHRPD on Verizon. I drove out to a place that has no Sprint coverage, just Verizon coverage (north of Espanola, NM). Using my stock Sprint PRL 25004 that came with the GS-III, all I could get was roaming on Verizon 1xRTT on 850MHz. I do a quick Verizon PRL install, and voila...eHRPD again.

I quickly run a speed test and get to about 2.3Mbps down. However, in the middle of the test, the 3G icon disappears and the download test stops and I get a network error. In about 15 seconds, the 3G icon comes back up and I am now connected to EVDO-Rev. A again on Verizon. Speed tests results are approx. 1Mbps on EVDO-A on the same exact tower.

I cannot get eHRPD to come back up unless I reboot the phone or reinstall the Verizon PRL (which reboots the phone). Then I will have less than a minute of eHRPD. It does appear to be an active Verizon eHRPD connection because I can use it for a little bit while the 3G icon is active. But the moment it goes away, I'm dead in the water until the EVDO handshake is complete.

So, it appears that Verizon will allow Sprint customers to connect to eHRPD, but there is something that happens in the authentication process after the fact, that revokes you from staying connected. Very interesting and unanticipated.

Robert

• Like 1

So, it appears that Verizon will allow Sprint customers to connect to eHRPD, but there is something that happens in the authentication process after the fact, that revokes you from staying connected. Very interesting and unanticipated.

That is just VZW telling you to...

AJ

• Like 6

Joking aside, that may actually be Sprint telling you to "get off VZW's lawn." LTE authentication is network side. So, as I understand it, VZW has to check back with your HLR to determine your account's permissions. At that point, Sprint may respond in effect, "Hey, we're not paying for eHRPD roaming. So, cut it out."

AJ

Joking aside' date=' that may actually be Sprint telling you to "get off VZW's lawn." LTE authentication is network side. So, as I understand it, VZW has to check back with your HLR to determine your account's permissions. At that point, Sprint may respond in effect, "Hey, we're not paying for eHRPD roaming. So, cut it out."

AJ[/quote']

This is what I was thinking. I thought it was strange that they would let me use data for a little bit before they realized that I wasnt supposed to be there. There will be some differences leaving behind the cdma world.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Is Sprint adding eHRPD anytime soon??? Is it the CDMA version of HSPAplus?

I'm just assuming it's "3.5g"' date=' rather than 3G/4G?[/quote']

Actually it is the same thing as evdo rev a, except that it connects through the same gateway as LTE, making for better handoff between evdo and LTE.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

Interesting indeed.

How do you grab the VZW PRL and stick it as a secondary anyway? Does it requore the MSL?

Sent from my Galaxy SIII-32GB using Forum Runner

Download the Verizon PRL of choice, or edit one yourself. You will need a Verizon only PRL, not a Sprint PRL that allows Verizon 3G roaming. Because if you use a Sprint PRL, it will stay on Sprint and only allow Verizon roaming when there is no Sprint signal. I use this PRL as a Force Roam.

Once you have your Verizon PRL, rename it TEST.prl and place it in the root directory of your SD card. Go into your GS3 dialer, enter ##DATA#. Go into View mode. Oddly, it is not available in Edit mode. Select PRL write. Press the PRL write button. It now writes the TEST PRL to your device and reboots.

When you get back fully booted up, go into Settings > About Device > Status and verify the new PRL number is active. When you want to.return back to stock Sprint PRL...just do a PRL update and the newest stock Sprint PRL will be loaded. You can also keep several PRLs on your phone and just keep renaming the one you want to use TEST.prl and repeat the process outlined above.

This PRL Write seems to be accessible only in the GS3. Although it works with the Galaxy Nexus and some other devices using the Any Cut app.

One word of warning...when on a Verizon PRL, you wont see a roaming Icon. It can be easy to forget that you are off native and exceed 300MB in no time. I use NetMonitor so much that its not an issue for me. It will remind me. However, you can modify your PRL so that the Verizon PRL will always put a roaming Icon up. It just wont on its own.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Is Sprint adding eHRPD anytime soon??? Is it the CDMA version of HSPAplus?

I'm just assuming it's "3.5g"' date=' rather than 3G/4G?[/quote']

To expand a little on what Scott said above, Sprint installs eHRPD as a software upgrade over the EVDO network in an area before LTE is deployed. It must be complete on each LTE site and every site surrounding a live LTE site, to allow for the proper handoff between EVDO and LTE.

So Sprint typically is upgrading all the sites to eHRPD well in advance of LTE deployment. Every market that has active NV deployment already has eHRPD largely deployed. And some even that will not get LTE until 2013 are already reporting some eHRPD, most likely caused by which LTE core they are connected to coming live.

eHRPD is EVDO that runs through the LTE core, so it can maintain one IP address as it handsoff between LTE and 3G. It is possible that eHRPD will be faster at times, if the LTE core is less busy than the EVDO data switch. But when using the same backhaul, EVDO and eHRPD should be similar speeds.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information about the roaming profile. I may see if I can load up an ACS Wireless PRL when I head up to the 49th state later this summer. Shouldn't make much of a difference since my phone should just roam to them, but will make for an interestjg experiment anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII-32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Very cool to see the PRL Write back into the phones. I was picturing foot on the brake, hooking up your phone to a laptop, dialing the code, loading QPST and writing the PRL, all while smacking on a BK Stacker with the sauce dripping down the wrapper onto your hands, then you slinging sauce on to the headliner as you raise your hands in victory that the PRL wrote correctly!

• Like 2

Download the Verizon PRL of choice, or edit one yourself. You will need a Verizon only PRL, not a Sprint PRL that allows Verizon 3G roaming. Because if you use a Sprint PRL, it will stay on Sprint and only allow Verizon roaming when there is no Sprint signal. I use this PRL as a Force Roam.

Once you have your Verizon PRL, rename it TEST.prl and place it in the root directory of your SD card. Go into your GS3 dialer, enter ##DATA#. Go into View mode. Oddly, it is not available in Edit mode. Select PRL write. Press the PRL write button. It now writes the TEST PRL to your device and reboots.

When you get back fully booted up, go into Settings > About Device > Status and verify the new PRL number is active. When you want to.return back to stock Sprint PRL...just do a PRL update and the newest stock Sprint PRL will be loaded. You can also keep several PRLs on your phone and just keep renaming the one you want to use TEST.prl and repeat the process outlined above.

This PRL Write seems to be accessible only in the GS3. Although it works with the Galaxy Nexus and some other devices using the Any Cut app.

One word of warning...when on a Verizon PRL, you wont see a roaming Icon. It can be easy to forget that you are off native and exceed 300MB in no time. I use NetMonitor so much that its not an issue for me. It will remind me. However, you can modify your PRL so that the Verizon PRL will always put a roaming Icon up. It just wont on its own.

I searched around a bit, but I couldn’t find a link or walk-through on how to do this, just a guy on XDA who was looking for the same thing. I have an EVO LTE, is there a specific Verizon PRL I should use? Do you just edit it in any old text editor (probably in rich text)?

I searched around a bit, but I couldn’t find a link or walk-through on how to do this, just a guy on XDA who was looking for the same thing. I have an EVO LTE, is there a specific Verizon PRL I should use? Do you just edit it in any old text editor (probably in rich text)?

No can do on EVO LTE.

AJ

wait can any 3g phone connect to ehrpd even if not LTE capable?

I am not 100% certain, but I think it is only LTE phones that will use eHRPD, non-LTE phones will still connect to evdo.

That...looks like an intense program. You're saying that I wouldn't be able to change it on the fly unless I'm willing to lug my laptop around and get my BK Stacker's sauce all over it? :-P

Yep... There aren't many phones that let you change the prl on the fly.

No need to though. Write the 3g roaming prl and be done with it. Flip between native and roaming with roam control or unlock the roam only option on the network settings. No need to flash prls anymore.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Yep... There aren't many phones that let you change the prl on the fly.

No need to though. Write the 3g roaming prl and be done with it. Flip between native and roaming with roam control or unlock the roam only option on the network settings. No need to flash prls anymore.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Roam Control doesn't work on all devices. Like the Galaxy Nexus. I haven't tried Roam Control on the GS3, yet.

Robert did you find your GS3 MSL code? I didnt found it with the getprop command.

I actually got it from sprint.com. I went and activated my phone online at sprint.com/activate and it gave me the MSL number. They called it a six digit activation code that I may need during the activation. But I knew immediately what it was and wrote it down.

• Like 3

I see from your BatonRouge site that you have a lot of experience with PRLs. I have two elementary questions:

1) How the heck does one read or edit a PRL file? They look like binary files to me.

2) Would the PRLs have to be updated to include new eHRPD sites? If so, would these have to be different on LTE-capable phones so they will connect to the eHRPD signal, but non-LTE phones would need a different PRL?