Verizon has announced their new shared data plans

marioc21

Technically, rooting your phone is also against the Sprint terms and conditions. One could argue that rooting the phone is even less of an offense than the occasional tethering.

I don't think rooting your device is a violation with Sprint. I have seen several memos over the past year regarding rooting devices. Sprint will even work on rooted devices in their stores, exchange rooted devices under warranty and will take insurance claims on rooted devices. However, they will warn you of the risks of rooting your device and recommend to you that you should not do it.

I can not find anywhere in the terms and conditions where this is prohibited.

I think you just answered the question.

That would be great if Sprint could ID tethered phones.

With LTE, they can. It will be very easy for them. And it will be just as easy with DO Advanced in Network Vision 3G sites. VZW and ATT send out warning notifications to the device and via email when people tether outside of their terms now. I expect Sprint to follow suit with this soon.

Robert

Try an analogy, Juan.

If I drive 3 MPH over the speed limit, am I engaging in "hate and hypocrisy" when I get angry at the driver who swerves around me at 25 MPH over the speed limit?

Speeding is against the law, bar none, but you cannot conflate driving 3 MPH over the speed limit with speeding with reckless abandon. The same goes for tethering.

For example, I tether only as needed, possibly 10 times per year. Furthermore, over the past 12 months, I averaged 350 MB of 1X/EV-DO/WiMAX data usage (including any tethering) per month. I am not the problem.

If you cannot understand that, then you have no reasoned argument.

AJ

Ok Hmmm... the speed limit analogy is odd because we're talking about something that's unlimited and trying to fit it into a limited MPH scenario. im working with fractal here!... but ill try to "understand" and just go with it.

There's just so many real life variables to your analogy we could be 15 post into this and still not agree. So AJ I'm going to just ask you this, at going over 3mph are you or are you not braking the law? Certainly the 25mph is braking it, but are you? Getting upset at someone and criticizing them for the samething you do is just hypocritical. for this, I call you a hypocrit.

look at it kinda like a legitimate criticism and not an attack :-)

Question: if you steal some shoes from walmart, but get mad because someone else stole a TV what does that make you? and are they or are they not both the same?

and as for your example. I tether about the same as you, (mainly because the network in vegas is so slow, and there's wifi everywhere I go) but the difference is I won't criticize someone else for doing it more or less because im doing it also. If you can't understand that then we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

I thought it was pretty straight forward. I don't condone tethering unless you pay for it. Using tethering sparingly is also stealing.

Sent from my CM9 Toro

Really, straight forward? because if you don't condone tethering unless you pay for it then why do you agree with AJ at all? his argument is its OK as long as it's sparingly

*sigh*

I am tiring of this argument. "Guards, send in the jesters and have them perform something humorous for my amusement." *clap, clap*

AJ, is not being a hypocrite (notice the correct spelling). He has repeatedly made the point that people who grossly abuse tethering are ruining the experience for the masses. Because the network is a shared resource.

Robert

• Like 1

I don't agree with that at all.

You already pay for the data, you should be able to use it how you want.

Tethering fees are a completely unethical double-dip and a symptom of just how weak the competition between the different carriers

I and 1000's of Rooted users couldn't agree more :-)

*sigh*

I am tiring of this argument. "Guards, send in the jesters and have them perform something humorous for my amusement." *clap, clap*

AJ, is not being a hypocrite (notice the correct spelling). He has repeatedly made the point that people who grossly abuse tethering are ruining the experience for the masses. Because the network is a shared resource.

Robert

With all the respect, I don't agree with you bro, if anyone violates their contract and tries to shame someone else for the samething. thats a hypocrite (id also like to blame any mistakes on Swift X's predict text)

So with that said yeah Verizon totally sucks and there new plans do to.

With all the respect, I don't agree with you bro, if anyone violates their contract and tries to shame someone else for the samething. thats a hypocrite (id also like to blame any mistakes on Swift X's predict text)

So with that said yeah Verizon totally sucks and there new plans do to.

Although you may have something with the most technical interpretation of the word "hypocrite", no one in your position who also breaks the rules has any moral standing to call someone a hypocrite on the issue. And that, of course, is my opinion.

Robert

Although you may have something with the most technical interpretation of the word "hypocrite", no one in your position who also breaks the rules has any moral standing to call someone a hypocrite on the issue. And that, of course, is my opinion.

Robert

Yes, however im not criticizing him for braking the rules im criticizing him for criticizing me for braking the rules

Yes, however im not criticizing him for braking the rules im criticizing him for criticizing me for braking the rules

I love that sentence. I don't know why...

Robert

Robert

Makes me think of:

"Oh I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once." -Dodgeball

• Like 2

Makes me think of:

"Oh I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once." -Dodgeball

Elaine: "So, I guess I'll have to buy him a new coat, even though I don't think I should be held responsible, which I am anyway."

AJ

• Like 2

I don't think rooting your device is a violation with Sprint. I have seen several memos over the past year regarding rooting devices. Sprint will even work on rooted devices in their stores, exchange rooted devices under warranty and will take insurance claims on rooted devices. However, they will warn you of the risks of rooting your device and recommend to you that you should not do it.

Robert

Our Right To Suspend Or Terminate Services

We can, without notice, suspend or terminate any Service at any time for any reason. For example, we can suspend or terminate any Service for the following: (a) late payment; (B) exceeding an Account Spending Limit; © harassing/threatening/abusing/offending our employees or agents; (d) providing false or inaccurate information; (e) interfering with our operations; (f) using/suspicion of using Services in any manner restricted by or inconsistent with the Agreement and Policies; (g) breaching, failing to follow, or abusing the Agreement or Policies; (h) providing false, inaccurate, dated, or unverifiable identification or credit information or becoming insolvent or bankrupt; (i) modifying a Device from its manufacturer specifications (for example, rooting the device); (j) failing to use our Services for an extended period of time; (k) failing to maintain an active Device in connection with our Services; or (l) if we believe the action protects our interests, any customer’s interests, or our networks.

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm

• Like 1

A good lawyer will be able to skate by this one, since they have swiss cheesed these terms by so many memos and notifications that contradict it. Thanks for doing the leg work of digging it up.

Robert

A good lawyer will be able to skate by this one, since they have swiss cheesed these terms by so many memos and notifications that contradict it. Thanks for doing the leg work of digging it up.

Robert

At least half of their employees have rooted devices. I think it is just there as a "cover your ass" type inclusion. "We told you not to root your device..."

• Like 1

I could brake it down for you if you didn't get it the first time.

Yeah, "brake" it down because you're moving too fast...

I saw somewhere on the web that the old $30 plan could be turned on and off within a month, so if you were at a hotel for a week, it would cost about $7. I can't verify that it is true, or that it would work with the new plans, but it is a neat thought.

I know this is a message from this morning, however I wanted to mention have done this very thing several times. It worked under the old plan and you could turn it off and on via your sprint web account. You would only be charged for the time it was enabled. I have no reason to believe the new tethering options are any different.

It was really nice to use at work when preforming network maintainance and you just had to look up one obscure Cisco command.

Sent from my EVO LTE

• Like 1

I know this is a message from this morning' date=' however I wanted to mention have done this very thing several times. It worked under the old plan and you could turn it off and on via your sprint web account. You would only be charged for the time it was enabled. I have no reason to believe the new tethering options are any different.

It was really nice to use at work when preforming network maintainance and you just had to look up one obscure Cisco command.

Sent from my EVO LTE[/quote']

Now that makes a lot of sense, and wouldn't cost that much for a temp fix.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

Its actually quite funny how Sprint manages to say one thing and then say another thing elsewhere that totally contradicts the previous statement.

Our Right To Suspend Or Terminate Services

We can, without notice, suspend or terminate any Service at any time for any reason. For example, we can suspend or terminate any Service for the following: (a) late payment; ( B) exceeding an Account Spending Limit; © harassing/threatening/abusing/offending our employees or agents; (d) providing false or inaccurate information; (e) interfering with our operations; (f) using/suspicion of using Services in any manner restricted by or inconsistent with the Agreement and Policies; (g) breaching, failing to follow, or abusing the Agreement or Policies; (h) providing false, inaccurate, dated, or unverifiable identification or credit information or becoming insolvent or bankrupt; (i) modifying a Device from its manufacturer specifications (for example, rooting the device); (j) failing to use our Services for an extended period of time; (k) failing to maintain an active Device in connection with our Services; or (l) if we believe the action protects our interests, any customer’s interests, or our networks.

Yet the internal documents allow working on rooted devices.

Sprint Root Policy 1

Sprint Root Policy 2

Anyway, regardless if the new Verizon plans are good or not for the customer or Verizon themselves, i do see this as a trend and possibly having folks jumping ship to other carriers like T-Mobile and Sprint that offer better plans. Once Sprint's network Vision gets done and people see the changes, I am sure Sprint rolls will increase like never before. Hopefully Sprint would handle the load.

And one final thing, lets try to be as cordial as possible with each other in posts. I would not hesitate sending anyone to Banlandia if need be for a cool off period.

TS

• Like 2

Its actually quite funny how Sprint manages to say one thing and then say another thing elsewhere that totally contradicts the previous statement.

Yet the internal documents allow working on rooted devices.

Sprint Root Policy 1

Sprint Root Policy 2

Anyway' date=' regardless if the new Verizon plans are good or not for the customer or Verizon themselves, i do see this as a trend and possibly having folks jumping ship to other carriers like T-Mobile and Sprint that offer better plans. Once Sprint's network Vision gets done and people see the changes, I am sure Sprint rolls will increase like never before. Hopefully Sprint would handle the load.

And one final thing, lets try to be as cordial as possible with each other in posts. I would not hesitate sending anyone to Banlandia if need be for a cool off period.

TS

I love it. Banlandia!! Woot!

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner