Verizon has announced their new shared data plans

marioc21

Sprint's pre NV network is held together by a few strands of copper as it is, I think tethering hurts that even more.

man don't I know it, the 3G in Vegas is 1x at best, but the 4G is ok (where there's service) can't wait for LTE but we're not on any planned list yet :-(

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

They seem ridiculous on face value. I calculated it for my family plan, however, and came up with a different result. The Share Everything with 6GB data for two iPhones calculated to the same price as the legacy plan for two iPhones with unlimited data we are on.

Current plan:

700 shared minutes and unlimited messages = $80.

Access fee for each line = $20

Two unlimited data plans = $60

Total = $160

Share Everything:

Two smartphone access fees with unlimited voice and data = $80

6 GB of unlimited data = $80

Total = $160

Cutting to the 4GB plan saves me $10.

It isn't as bad as I thought. It's certainly not the type of plan that would make me run from Verizon. Then again, Verizon plans were ridiculous to begin with.

They seem ridiculous on face value. I calculated it for my family plan, however, and came up with a different result. The Share Everything with 6GB data for two iPhones calculated to the same price as the legacy plan for two iPhones with unlimited data we are on.

Current plan:

700 shared minutes and unlimited messages = $80.

Access fee for each line = $20

Two unlimited data plans = $60

Total = $160

Share Everything:

Two smartphone access fees with unlimited voice and data = $80

6 GB of unlimited data = $80

Total = $160

Cutting to the 4GB plan saves me $10.

It isn't as bad as I thought. It's certainly not the type of plan that would make me run from Verizon. Then again, Verizon plans were ridiculous to begin with.

Right now T-mobile is the best value when you combine their network performance + pricing.

http://www.tmonews.c...artphones-free/

After the network vision upgrade that title will belong to Sprint if they maintain their current pricing structure.

In general though, I suspect the pre-paid IPhones and upcoming pre-paid WiMax devices to lure many, many post-paid subscribers from other carriers to the pre-paid side and be a nightmare for them

ok im having trouble finding what side of this you are on, on hand you post " Tethering is not free while abiding by the terms and conditions of your contract." then you post "AJ is correct in saying that (shame) on anyone taking advantage of extensive tethering." LMAO! and then you go as far as call extensive use stealing.

So what, using it sparingly isn't? if your going to agree that it's ok to brake the rules a little. then you have no right to use them as a sword on someone who might be braking them alot... basicly don't try and talk rules to me if you don't follow them your damn self. At witch point I stand buy my "hate and hypocrisy" statement only now it's also aimed at you!!!

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

I thought it was pretty straight forward. I don't condone tethering unless you pay for it. Using tethering sparingly is also stealing.

Sent from my CM9 Toro

I thought it was pretty straight forward. I don't condone tethering unless you pay for it. Using tethering sparingly is also stealing.

Sent from my CM9 Toro

I don't agree with that at all.

You already pay for the data, you should be able to use it how you want.

Tethering fees are a completely unethical double-dip and a symptom of just how weak the competition between the different carriers in US wireless market really is.

it's akin to paying for water and being charged an extra fee for having a garden hose.

Tethering fees are virtually unknown in Europe and Asia where competition among the different wireless carriers is much, much healthier.

Tethering fees are a completely unethical double-dip and a symptom of just how weak the competition between the different carriers in US wireless market really is.

it's akin to paying for water and being charged an extra fee for having a garden hose.

Tethering fees are virtually unknown in Europe and Asia where competition among the different wireless carriers is much, much healthier.

The entitlement of this.

There's a carrier that will let you tether all you want with shared data now, it's called Verizon. If you want tethering that bad, go there.

Also, most European carriers never had unlimited. That's simply a terrible comparison you just made.

The entitlement of this.

There's a carrier that will let you tether all you want with shared data now, it's called Verizon. If you want tethering that bad, go there.

Also, most European carriers never had unlimited. That's simply a terrible comparison you just made.

Yes, you pay for data access through your phone and it shouldn't be any business of the carrier how you ultimately use it so long as your usage level is reasonable.

So outrageous!

And yes, competiton for users in Europe is far more intense because devices are universal, there's no barrier as far as putting your device on another network. You pay your ETF and move your phone on another carrier, and if you bought your device unsubsidized you don't even have to worry about that.

Truly unlimited plans are still available in certain European markets, particularly Spain and the UK. But even if they weren't, smartphone plans are across the board much lower than they are in the US. Pre-paid users also aren't generally subject to throttling and inferior coverage due to restrictions on roaming.

if competiton here were healthy ATT and Verizon wouldn't feel secure enough in their market position to engage in blatant duopolistic behaviors, data prices would be headed down not up, and they wouldn't be able to raise ARPU on a whim.

No, it's one thing if you have 2GB of data on your plan, you might be able to make an arguement that you should be able to use that however you see fit. When you are offered unlimited data on your smartphone, it should be used on your smartphone only. Any other use is abuse of the system and will ultimately lead to the end of unlimited data.

When Sprint only offered the $30 for 5GB of hotspot tethering, I wasn't that opposed to people using tethering for a "quick fix" here and there. I figured that heavy users should pay, but someone who uses well less than a GB per month is getting raked over the coals with the $30 plan. Now that Sprint has offered new tethering plans though, that thought is out the window. Sprint now has two plans, a $20 for 2GB and $50 for 6GB.

I still think that there should be a $10 for 1GB plan for casual users. I know that 1GB doesn't last long, but for most people, it would work, and the cost is not that bad.

Sprint has corralled unlimited to smartphone data only for a reason. Because they can support unlimited data usage on smartphones. Their network cannot support unlimited tethering usage.

Sprint does not support unlimited tethering. They don't encourage tethering usage. And if you choose to use their allowed tethering usages, it is limited in the amount of GB's you can use per month. Because even the new network cannot support unlimited tethering.

Its just a fact of wireless life. Peoples dreams of an unlimited wireless ISP are not reality. No matter how nifty it would be. And Sprint offers the most generous offerings and the least lax security. And people who use tethering sparingly will likely fly under the radar.

As Fraydog points out, Verizon is now going to allow customers to tether legally within their data allotment. If you have a VZW 5GB data plan, you will be able to tether against that allotment. However, Sprint cant offer something like this. How do you allow tethering against an unlimited allotment? You cant. Sprint cant offer unlimited tethering, especially on LTE.

LTE is going to be faster than 75% of their customers homes ISPs. Many customers will just start dropping their ISPs and use Sprint via tethering. Their network can't support that. Actually, no American LTE network yet released could.

We all need to just accept reality and understand the best Sprint can offer is unlimited smartphone data. These other forms of unlimited for our personal gross consumption can not be sustained.

It would be a good idea for Sprint to include 1GB of tethering every month in their unlimited plan. And maybe offer an a la carte option of adding 1, 2 or 5GB packages you can purchase should you need more. But please note with Sprint's new network, they have the ability to quickly identify tetherers. Expect some push back from Sprint. The old days are coming to an end.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I really wouldnt mind throwing down 10 a gig to tether... taking trips to hotels without free wifi comes to mind... id happily pay sprint an extra 10 to use a little data. Does the casual tetherer want or need 2gb for 20? Not necessarily.

I think some home users with no isp could even be hip to a 10 per gb tethering price. Its not guaranteed arpu, but it would be cheap enough to lure some cheapskates

Btw, had a discussion with my parents ( technologically inept verizon sheep) about the end of unlimited grandfathering. Neither believed me. " they let me keep it before, why would they take it away?" Both were certain verizon would come to its senses as they are both zombie eyes terrified of the "other" carriers not having the coverage they need in the 3 mile square area ( city) they spend 90% of their time. God knows how terrifying a little roaming or a dropped call in bfe nowhere would be.

Exerpts from Sprint's terms and conditions regarding tethering:

Services are not available for use in connection with server devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for private lines or frame relay connections. Except with Phone-as-Modem add-on, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance.

If your Services include web or data access, you also can’t use your Device as a modem for computers or other equipment, unless we identify the Service or Device you have selected as specifically intended for that purpose (for example, with "phone as modem" plans, Sprint Mobile Broadband card plans, wireless router plans, etc.).

I really wouldnt mind throwing down 10 a gig to tether... taking trips to hotels without free wifi comes to mind... id happily pay sprint an extra 10 to use a little data. Does the casual tetherer want or need 2gb for 20? Not necessarily.

I think some home users with no isp could even be hip to a 10 per gb tethering price. Its not guaranteed arpu' date=' but it would be cheap enough to lure some cheapskates[/quote']

I only use tethering occasionally. Like the bad hotel wifi analogy, or when on the road and something urgent that is computer related occurs and I pull over and use my laptop. And in a few short durations when Windstream DSL goes down at home.

I don't think I have used more than a gig or two in a month. And many months I don't use it all. I definitely would like a cheap $10 a month tether option.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I think some home users with no isp could even be hip to a 10 per gb tethering price. Its not guaranteed arpu, but it would be cheap enough to lure some cheapskates

I saw somewhere on the web that the old $30 plan could be turned on and off within a month, so if you were at a hotel for a week, it would cost about $7. I can't verify that it is true, or that it would work with the new plans, but it is a neat thought.

I think you are on to something with the $10 per GB. It would be nice if they would allow something like 200MB to 1GB of tethering/hotspot and then charge $10 per GB or .01 per MB after that. They could offer plans that would allow for cheaper data per GB for users who routinely use 5-6GB per month, but this would be a good way to start kicking people off the tethering apps and add a little revenue from people who want to tether when they are away from their home internet connection.

So what, using it sparingly isn't? if your going to agree that it's ok to brake the rules a little. then you have no right to use them as a sword on someone who might be braking them alot... basicly don't try and talk rules to me if you don't follow them your damn self. At witch point I stand buy my "hate and hypocrisy" statement only now it's also aimed at you!!!

Try an analogy, Juan.

If I drive 3 MPH over the speed limit, am I engaging in "hate and hypocrisy" when I get angry at the driver who swerves around me at 25 MPH over the speed limit?

Speeding is against the law, bar none, but you cannot conflate driving 3 MPH over the speed limit with speeding with reckless abandon. The same goes for tethering.

For example, I tether only as needed, possibly 10 times per year. Furthermore, over the past 12 months, I averaged 350 MB of 1X/EV-DO/WiMAX data usage (including any tethering) per month. I am not the problem.

If you cannot understand that, then you have no reasoned argument.

AJ

• Like 3

The sentiment of AJ's post was an attack...

You need to learn the difference between "an attack" and a legitimate criticism.

AJ

• Like 3

To play devil's advocate, which one of these two Sprint subs is more of a problem: the sub who never tethers but streams 15 GB of audio/video over the network per month or the sub who tethers occasionally but uses only 500 MB of total data over the network per month?

AJ

To play devil's advocate, which one of these two Sprint subs is more of a problem: the sub who never tethers but streams 15 GB of audio/video over the network per month or the sub who tethers occasionally but uses only 500 MB of total data over the network per month?

AJ

Neither. Data consumption in general does not matter. It is data demand at peak times that is the problem. At those peak times because of the fairness naturally built in in most modern air interfaces, a person cannot hog all the bandwidth at peak times. The system naturally throttles you because you have to share the bandwidth with all the other users at the time. So if both users are using the same amount of peak bandwidth they are equally guilty or not. Networks are designed for bandwidth at peak times. If you want to discourage people from using bandwidth at peak times, then have off-peak/on-peak billing like the good-ole days.

Neither. Data consumption in general does not matter. It is data demand at peak times that is the problem. At those peak times because of the fairness naturally built in in most modern air interfaces, a person cannot hog all the bandwidth at peak times. The system naturally throttles you because you have to share the bandwidth with all the other users at the time. So if both users are using the same amount of peak bandwidth they are equally guilty or not. Networks are designed for bandwidth at peak times. If you want to discourage people from using bandwidth at peak times, then have off-peak/on-peak billing like the good-ole days.

I think we all are discussing about usage in peak scenarios. But I appreciate the explanation for those who may not be on the same page, or have the same network understanding. :tu:

Robert

Neither. Data consumption in general does not matter.

Individually, no. But multiply by the tens, hundreds, thousands, millions, and data consumption becomes a problem. Those who use the greatest amount of data are most likely to be using data at any given time -- peak or not. Even with a fair and proportional scheduler assigning time slots or resource blocks, those who are almost incessantly using data (e.g. streaming) do affect access opportunity for everyone else.

AJ

AJ

Without question, the one who streams 15GB per month is more of a stress on the network. The water is a little muddier, when you ask which is more of a "problem." Unlimited streaming is actually used by Sprint as a marketing tool to try to attract customers, much like free tethering will probably be a marketing tool used by Verizon with their new shared data plans. While Sprint has much bigger fish to fry than someone who uses under 500MB a month and occasionally tethers, it is still a violation of their T's and C's. I'm sure Sprint is more concerned with the cord cutting tetherers. Those who replace their home ISP with Sprint and take advantage of the unlimited data offering, especially over 4G which Sprint is now paying by volume instead of by the user.

Personally, I don't feel that tethering occasionally is a huge issue, but it is very succeptable to abuse. I have had access to "free" tethering apps for years, and have used them a handful of times. I was much more active using my old feature phones as a modem. Yes, I know that it was blatant abuse of the network and categorically prohibited by the terms and conditions I agreed to when I signed my contract, but I felt that $30 per month was too high a price for me to justify. I bought the $50 USB cord and accessed the internet at 56k speeds. This was well before e-mail was easily accessable on my phone as well as the full internet. I was fully prepared to pay back charges or fines or whatever Sprint decided to levy on me for violating my T+C's.

To further expand your speeding example, the police are usually only going to worry about those who have little regard to the posted speed limits and are exceeding the limit by 10+ MPH, but there are some cases where 3 MPH is a ticketable offense. I was driving home after working on July 4th one year. It was mid afternoon, so I am guessing the cop was not fishing for DUIs, but I had my cruise set at 73 in a 70 MPH zone. I saw him coming up the on-ramp onto the highway, but I didn't think he would care if I was 3 over the limit. I was wrong and I received a ticket for 73 in a 70.

Without paying for the right to tether, it is wrong, but 99% of the time, nobody is enforcing the rule. Technically, rooting your phone is also against the Sprint terms and conditions. One could argue that rooting the phone is even less of an offense than the occasional tethering.

Since we are discussing semantics, how about this one... What if someone reduces their alloted voice minutes down to the bare minimum and uses a VOIP program to make all their calls. They are also taking advantage of the unlimited data and they are saving money by "reducing" the number of plan minutes, without reducing their actual usage. I can not find anywhere in the terms and conditions where this is prohibited.

That would be great if Sprint could ID tethered phones.

I'm not rooted

I don't tether

I use wifi whenever it's available.

Our smartphone data usage is usually under a gb/mth.

I would love to be able to tether a couple of times a month to send that email that includes a doc from my laptop. But I just wait till I find a wifi spot.

• Like 1

Individually, no. But multiply by the tens, hundreds, thousands, millions, and data consumption becomes a problem. Those who use the greatest amount of data are most likely to be using data at any given time -- peak or not. Even with a fair and proportional scheduler assigning time slots or resource blocks, those who are almost incessantly using data (e.g. streaming) do affect access opportunity for everyone else.

AJ

AJ, price peak/off peak data differently. It will solve the problem if you're capacity constrained. Those that like to stream video to their car while driving the kiddos to school during rush hour will think twice. That way my updating my schedule will come through instantly.

Mind you, my consumption pattern is like yours. Email, calendar, contacts and occasional search. No YouTube. Occasional 64k streaming once a year when I go on a long car trip.