Verizon has announced their new shared data plans

marioc21

That would be great if Sprint could ID tethered phones.

I'm not rooted

I don't tether

I use wifi whenever it's available.

Our smartphone data usage is usually under a gb/mth.

I would love to be able to tether a couple of times a month to send that email that includes a doc from my laptop. But I just wait till I find a wifi spot.

Based on your usage, there's no real point in paying for an unlimited plan.

You're in the 5% of users that would actually benefit from the metered plans available on other carriers.

On SalukiTalk, where I used to post frequently, we called the temporary bans the "Penalty Box." On the front page, the Penalty Box section showed who was in the box and the length of time they were there for.

On SalukiTalk' date=' where I used to post frequently, we called the temporary bans the "Penalty Box." On the front page, the Penalty Box section showed who was in the box and the length of time they were there for.[/quote']

Maybe there needs to be a firebox here to contain the users I see as inflammatory

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

Maybe there needs to be a firebox here to contain the users I see as inflammatory

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

Isn't there an ignore function on here? That's what I use on boards where I just don't want to read someone's posts.

Isn't there an ignore function on here? That's what I use on boards where I just don't want to read someone's posts.

Scott, Dave and I don't have that luxury. We even have to see what the dopes are typing. :(

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Which is why I am glad i invested in the Evelyn Woods Speed reading courses when i was younger. :D

Anyway back to topic, I thought I saw last year a compare list of the top 4 carriers plans and it determined that Sprint was the best money wise and data wise. Verizon if I am not mistaken came in 3rd. but this is all before LTE.

TS

Anyway back to topic, I thought I saw last year a compare list of the top 4 carriers plans and it determined that Sprint was the best money wise and data wise. Verizon if I am not mistaken came in 3rd. but this is all before LTE.

TS

Yeah Verizon has always had bad prices and I think this only adds to it.

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

Change in direction....

Is it ironic that the most positive / pro verizon discussion ive seen about the data share is on sprintusers.com?

Yeah...but if you think about it, it should be called AnyoneButSprintUsers.com! Sorry...I shouldn't say that. But I can't even read a network thread over there anymore without getting irate.

Robert

• Like 3

Highly ironic.

To be completely fair, Verizon *does* provide a good deal if you can get Share Everything with absolutely zero data, with non-smartphones. Boom, unlimited talk and text for $30 per line. But I'm pretty sure that's not how it works; the minimum price for two smartphones (including some data) is $130 per month. That's $20 cheaper than Sprint's cheapest family plan, but for that $20 you lose unlimited voice (I personally don't care, because Any Mobile covers 90+% of my daytime calling) and gain unlimited data on each line. If you're matching prices, you can get 4GB spread over two lines...still advantage Sprint unless you call landlines a lot (who does nowadays?).

I personally don't care, because Any Mobile covers 90+% of my daytime calling

Agreed. We only use between 100 and 200 minutes a month between all four of our lines because most of our calls are mobile to mobile.

Robert

• Like 1

Agreed. We only use between 100 and 200 minutes a month between all four of our lines because most of our calls are mobile to mobile.

Robert

Any mobile, any time FTW! (These days, its Just like having unlimited minutes in most cases)

• Like 2

Eh , I guess the writing has been on the wall for a long time. The civility and tone over there just sort of encourages you to be nasty. I've done my share of complaining there as well, but I feel like a fool for acting like that. In the days where sprint had the most cohesive, best price national network of all the carriers, it was enjoyable. In the merger days and freebies bonanza, it was a place to share and brag about how hard you could stick it to sprint and how much you could get for free.... Nowadays, its more or less like Sprint's facebook page = "I clickz like cuz i needs to tell evrbody how much I hatez sprint" ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And these plans that Verizon is coming out with sucks these plans are not going to be for everybody.If u have a unlimited data plan these plans are no good for u.Sprint has the best plas out there right now.The plans that Verizon is coming out with on the 28 is a rip off and the only reason that Verizon is doing this to make make money and rip off pepole thats all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked up VZW's plans and realized that...egads...their individual plans are gone as well!

So the minimum monthly cost for a smartphone single line on Verizon is $90 postpaid, or $80 prepaid, with 1GB of data. Sprint, IMO, beats this by $10 per month even though they don't include unlimited calling, because between Any Mobile and unlimited nights and weekends,, you just don't use up many anytime minutes, ever.

If you are okay with staying with a basic phone, you can get 700 minutes on one line for $40 per month...but it looks like those 700 minutes are all you get (no texting, no nights and weekends, no mobile to mobile), so it's an absolutely horrid deal Sure, it's less than six cents per minute, but for $30 per month you can get more minutes, 1000 texts, 30MB of web and the exact same network...with no contract...from Straight Talk. Since basic phones are $30 per line, you stay ahead of the curve by doing individual liens on Straight Talk!

Unlimited voice/text + 300MB of web on Verizon isn't any better of a deal either unless you have a ton of lines to share the minutes around to. $40 per month + $30 per line compares disfavorably to Straight Talk's unlimited plan ($45 per line flat) on anything less than five lines...I say five lines because Straight Talk tends to have way less taxes and fees than your garden-variety contract service. Oh, and Straight Talk gives you unlimited data per line (okay, realistically it's around 2GB after which you're cut off, but that's better than VZW).

Or, if you're willing to find your own Verizon phone, Page Plus Cellular gives you more data, messages and minutes than Straight Talk (100MB/3000/1200 vs. 30MB/1000/1000) for the same money (actually, Page Plus refills tend to be discounted, so you get better deals). Their unlimited talk/text + 100MB of data option is $40 per month, so you'd need to have five, maybe six lines on VZW to get a similar deal (except you'd have less data on Share Everything).

The hotspot/tablet-only pricing for Share Everything is intriguing but actually ends up more expensive than VZW's older pricing in some cases. Where 5GB was $50 on a mobile hotspot or modem, now that same $50 will buy you only 4GB, though you can get 6GB for $60 and 10GB for $80, the same as before. The economics work out better on a tablet (which you're buying outright anyway); GB is $40, 6GB is $50 and 10GB is $70 per month. The catch is that those prices are for a single line; your price per GB overall ends up staying relatively flat per line...or even increasing due to the access fees per device...as you add more lines. The plans also start at a MUCH higher dollar amount per month than the older tablet-focused plans, so I'll be sticking with my $20/1GB iPad plan for as long as Verizon will let me (shoot; I need to change from 5GB to 1GB soon, or risk losing out).

In VZW's defense, Share Everything is simpler than the matrix of plans before, if only by a small amount. However the overage charges that Verizon tack on ($15 per GB, instead of $10 per GB prior to the new plans) make it super-obvious that these new plans are nothing but a cash grab, in an era where LTE phones will gobble ever-more data since the network is good enough that you'll watch videos etc. without even thinking how much bandwidth you're consuming!

As an extra kick in the teeth, the prepaid tablet plans on VZW are still there, but they've been tweaked at the high end to be significantly less generous; $50 buys 3GB (down from 5GB) and $80 now buys 8GB (instead of 10GB). Verizon also isn't showing their LTE iPads under their prepaid broadband selector. Sounds fishy if you ask me...