Sprint LTE June 2012 Schedule Maps

So is it just me or was 3G faster in SA before? Seemed like it went the opposite direction ever since NV started.

I don't know if it's NV or what. This is also just a correlation, but things seemed to go down hill for me around the time of the iPhone launch.

It cannot be related to Network Vision, IMO. It's just that usage keeps growing and growing on the legacy 3G network, so performance will keep reducing and reducing until the new network is activated in your area.

Robert

I don't know if it's NV or what. This is also just a correlation, but things seemed to go down hill for me around the time of the iPhone launch.

Very true. Well I am in Waco for the time being (at least for a few years for work) so I no longer have to worry about waiting in SA. On another note, I saw a guy working on a tower (that was 4G ready) yesterday and since then my speeds have gone from 25000kbps to 13000kbps. Now, I'm not complaining but just thought I'd share my thoughts for those who care to listen.

• Like 1

Strange as I was thinking about that. When I was in San Antonio I noticed that my speeds did feel slower than a few months ago. I don't know if this was because they became slower or if it was psychological as I was taking more and more speedtests.

I noticed slower 3G speeds in San Antonio just before WIMAX was introduced.

I noticed slower 3G speeds in San Antonio just before WIMAX was introduced.

The WiMax network is completely separate from Sprint's 3G. They do not share sites, equipment, network, backhaul...nothing. If there was a slow down, it's a coincidence, or possibly caused by the fact that the 3G network was slowing down on its own and when WiMax turned on, it relieved some of that burden.

Robert

• Like 1

This is also just a correlation, but things seemed to go down hill for me around the time of the iPhone launch

This would certainly appear to be the case in NYC. While data has been pretty poor in my part of the city, 3G data overall was markedly faster before October of last year. Since then, I've obtained steadily worse 3G data throughout the city. Bear in mind that Sprint's 3G has never been as good as its competitors (based on my observations), but in plenty of the busiest areas, you could pull in upwards of 1 Mbps with some regularity; that's simply not possible anymore. Near the Empire State Building, an area where I could once pull anywhere from 0.8-1.2 Mbps, the range is from 0.3-0.8, with 90% of the test results coming in between 0.3 and 0.5. I've experienced similar issues in the Upper West Side, SoHo, Union Square, Chelsea, etc., all areas that once boasted strong data speeds. This "increase" in poor performance coincided with the launch of the iPhone. Now whether it's simply a coincidence and Sprint began Network Vision upgrades around the time of the iPhone launch I obviously can't say, but there's every indication that an already saturated network simply got oversaturated.

We have not reported one single NV site completed in San Antonio has 3G EVDO activated yet. The only sites with NV 3G live so far in Texas are around Waco.

Robert

I understand the reasons behind deploying a NV site as 3G only, but what is the reason behind doing LTE only sites?

I understand the reasons behind deploying a NV site as 3G only' date=' but what is the reason behind doing LTE only sites?[/quote']

I've never received a square answer. This only occurs in Ericsson markets. The only thing I can deduce from this is an equipment issue from Ericsson. Either radio or router related. The only Ericsson NV 3G sites live that I know of to date are in the Waco area, and that's only because it was part of the original NV FIT.

Each Network Vision OEM uses their own equipment, and there are some differences between OEM's equipment. Ericsson uses all Ericsson equipment, Alcatel/Lucent uses all AlcaLu equipment and Samsung uses Samsung equipment.

However, eHRPD in Ericsson markets does appear to be connected to the 4G cores and new backhaul in completed NV sites in Ericsson markets. So there is at least a partial 3G network going live in these areas now. They just would only be usable to LTE devices, because they are the only ones with eHRPD capability.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Which tower in Aurora is showing on air? I live in Aurora and the data speeds here do not reflect 3G on the new back haul. Also, all the towns you listed are indeed considered Chicago suburbs, and Aurora has a population of almost 200,000. True, the population density is not like the city, but the NV issues are still impacting a lot of people in those towns you listed.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I do not consider Joliet and Elgin to be suburbs of Chicago. They are large enough and far away that they have their own economies, laws, and cultural identity.

I do not consider Joliet and Elgin to be suburbs of Chicago. They are large enough and far away that they have their own economies, laws, and cultural identity.

And that's fine. But we here consider all of Northern Illinois the Chicago market because of Sprint's boundaries. And for the purposes of our network discussions it is all Chicago.

Robert

• Like 4

I'm in Elgin. The network actually has really been bad these last few days. Does the new backhaul also improve sms and calls? Right now I can't hold a call unless I'm still and sms come in multiple times.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I'm in Elgin. The network actually has really been bad these last few days. Does the new backhaul also improve sms and calls? Right now I can't hold a call unless I'm still and sms come in multiple times.

Did you ever read this: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-166-sprint-battling-network-vision-deployment-woes-in-the-windy-city/

Might explain your problems.

I know nv is going on. This bad service during the transition is just getting to me.

Wish I could trade ya spots.

• Like 4

FYI to all. Just spoke to a supervisor with sprint about a different issue but asked him the question about LTE when he asked if I had any other questions. SO I asked the golden question on the roll-out to the sooner state (Oklahoma). He told me the plan was to start turning the lights on in three months. Also I asked about us users who had Wi-Max devices with the hopes of getting in our area and didnt. He said they had a plan in place for some kind of phone exchange. I would assume they would let us upgrade early. Thats just a guess.

FYI to all. Just spoke to a supervisor with sprint about a different issue but asked him the question about LTE when he asked if I had any other questions. SO I asked the golden question on the roll-out to the sooner state (Oklahoma). He told me the plan was to start turning the lights on in three months. Also I asked about us users who had Wi-Max devices with the hopes of getting in our area and didnt. He said they had a plan in place for some kind of phone exchange. I would assume they would let us upgrade early. Thats just a guess.

I responded to your comment that you left in the Oklahoma article already: http://s4gru.com/ind...-show-me-state/

But I will quote it again here:

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It is not possible for LTE to start turning on Oklahoma within three months. Sprint is just completing RF design now for this market. To be mobilized and working in three months is virtually impossible. The earliest they could start is likely late Fall or early Winter. But I would guess more like early 2013.

As for a WiMax phone exchange, that doesn't seem likely. But I won't say it's impossible. An early upgrade could be a good solution for many customers, though.

Robert

Ugh, I don't know if these CSRs just take it upon themselves to make stuff up, if it is company policy to be full of $#!%, or they have a canned response to any LTE question, but they are not going to win any favor with customers by reps making promises that will not be kept. They should just tell people to come to this website and danielholt can yell "NO LTE FOR YOU!"

They need to say nothing but what has been officially released.

Ugh, I don't know if these CSRs just take it upon themselves to make stuff up, if it is company policy to be full of $#!%, or they have a canned response to any LTE question, but they are not going to win any favor with customers by reps making promises that will not be kept. They should just tell people to come to this website and danielholt can yell "NO LTE FOR YOU!"

They need to say nothing but what has been officially released.

Pretty Much! Here is my response to a similar situation in another thread, where someone in LA said a CSR told them that an LTE tower would be going live near him next month: http://androidforums...20-post378.html

Edit: I think they gave him an exact date.. like 7/25, or something.

• Like 1

The appropriate response would be something like "customer service representatives are not allowed to comment on the availability of LTE. If you would like to browse our press releases you can log on to sprint.com/whatever as there may be information there. Otherwise you can rest assured that Sprint has 3 contractors upgrading every tower to LTE with work completing in 2014. There are simultaneous upgrades to the existing network to improve data speeds and capacity for areas that will not be receiving upgrades immediately. I would like to comment on the availability of LTE, but I do not have access to that information." It might not be the preferred answer for some, but it is better than BS to get them off the phone.

Sent from my Jelly Bean Toro using Forum Runner

• Like 4

Today my LTE went out in Waco, TX. I had the 4G icon, my network was LTE14, but I had no connection.

I got on chat and the rep said they were having issues and it should be resolves shortly.

3 hours later I am getting LTE in areas of my home that I did not previously have. Worth the wait. I'm getting about 4000down 4000up in the middle of my home.

• Like 9

Today my LTE went out in Waco, TX. I had the 4G icon, my network was LTE14, but I had no connection.

I got on chat and the rep said they were having issues and it should be resolves shortly.

3 hours later I am getting LTE in areas of my home that I did not previously have. Worth the wait. I'm getting about 4000down 4000up in the middle of my home.

Just curious...how far are you from your closest base station?

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you're asking... excuse my ignorance.

If you use apps like rf viewer they show you which base station your phone is connected to, signal strength, and distance.....wanted to know how far you where because of the speeds you reported.

• Like 1