#1 kgor93

kgor93

Member Level: Morse Code

• S4GRU Sponsor
  • 15 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

I remember reading an article about this, the Calyx Institute (which does a lot of good work with Internet privacy and encryption) announced that members who join their $500/yr Contributer membership level will get 1 hotspot with unlimited Sprint data for 1 year. This works out to $41.67 a month, and every year after the first is $400 a year, or $33.33 a month. This might be quite attractive to rural members who are looking to cut costs. Plus the donation is tax-deductible. Has anyone taken them up on this offer?

#2 trug

trug

• S4GRU Member
  • 10 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 6P
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:20 PM

I've been using this for about a month as my main internet connection.  I've mostly used the Franklin R850 it came with and the signal strength is pretty low but I get about 8Mbps down 2Mbps up most of the time.  It also supports IPv6, which is useful for me.  I used it for a little while in a Mofi 4500 SIM4 V2 and it seemed to work except I didn't get IPv6 addresses and I was not sure if Sprint would cancel the line for using an unapproved device, so I put it back in the R850.  The Mofi was definitely faster and had better signal strength and since it has external antennas I could probably increase that significantly with some better antennas.

#3 kgor93

kgor93

• S4GRU Sponsor
  • 15 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:54 PM

I've been using this for about a month as my main internet connection.  I've mostly used the Franklin R850 it came with and the signal strength is pretty low but I get about 8Mbps down 2Mbps up most of the time.  It also supports IPv6, which is useful for me.  I used it for a little while in a Mofi 4500 SIM4 V2 and it seemed to work except I didn't get IPv6 addresses and I was not sure if Sprint would cancel the line for using an unapproved device, so I put it back in the R850.  The Mofi was definitely faster and had better signal strength and since it has external antennas I could probably increase that significantly with some better antennas.

Nice. I ended up picking up https://4gantennashop.com/ rural america plan. $65 a month but T-Mobile is way faster than Sprint in my area. Like 50 Mbps vs 15 Mbps. Hope more people use the Calyx plan. Bargain for rural users.

#4 jefbal99

jefbal99

The guy from Portland...

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 6P - iPhone 6S (Wifey) - Galaxy Tab E
  • Location48875

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:09 AM

I can't find on the site where it says $400 in the following years...

Masayoshi Son, making Dish/Charlie Ergan his bitch one slide at a time...
Slideshow
WebCast

#5 red_dog007

red_dog007

Member Level: 3G EVDO

• S4GRU Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 5
  • LocationChattanooga

Posted 25 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

This is a little better.

http://www.4gcommunity.org/

$500 first year and then something like $250/yr after that.

#6 gunterm

gunterm

• S4GRU Member
  • 14 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Novatel MiFi 500 / Franklin U600
  • LocationTopeka, Kansas

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

I just signed up for the 4gcommunity plan, I'll see if I can make the SIM work in a Netgear 6100D

#7 red_dog007

red_dog007

• S4GRU Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationChattanooga

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

Sweet :-D

Im house hunting and a house I am looking at has no landline options.  If Sprint service exists and is fastish and stable I will get a plan from them.  let us know how it goes! I'd be interested in how the signal performs on that vs say a phone with solid RF performance.

#8 belusnecropolis

belusnecropolis

Member Level: eHRPD

• Honored Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Router: Netgear 6100d. Mobile Broadband: Netgear Fuse AC779S. Handsets: Huæwei Nexus 6p. LG Nexus 5x stock. LG Nexus 5(OG) Rooted. Samsung Galaxy S4 Stock. RF Analyzer: RF Explorer 3G.
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

I just signed up for the 4gcommunity plan, I'll see if I can make the SIM work in a Netgear 6100D

Each broadband device has a unique sim card. They are unable to switch between each other usually. A call in to support should be able to get you set up.

They can swap them over. You can get the msl code as well, while you are on the phone to access the finer parts of the GUI on the 6100d.

#9 gunterm

gunterm

• S4GRU Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTopeka, Kansas

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

Each broadband device has a unique sim card. They are unable to switch between each other usually. A call in to support should be able to get you set up.

They can swap them over. You can get the msl code as well, while you are on the phone to access the finer parts of the GUI on the 6100d.

Woah, you're saying if I call 4gcommunity's support after I get the Franklin that they'll let me change the account and move the SIM?

#10 belusnecropolis

belusnecropolis

• PipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Router: Netgear 6100d. Mobile Broadband: Netgear Fuse AC779S. Handsets: Huæwei Nexus 6p. LG Nexus 5x stock. LG Nexus 5(OG) Rooted. Samsung Galaxy S4 Stock. RF Analyzer: RF Explorer 3G.
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

Woah, you're saying if I call 4gcommunity's support after I get the Franklin that they'll let me change the account and move the SIM?

If you have the Netgear it should have come with a SIM card. You will need to call Sprint support and have them transfer that device onto your line. You will need the assigned phone number, it is usually viewable on say your Franklin devices GUI, or may come with your subscription paperwork.

If you are able to get the number you can also setup a My Sprint account and change the devices from there. I don't have that link handy right now, but depending on the permissions given you may be able to use the website. Since these are from a Spectrum partner they will be considered a corporate or business account. I can send that link over later if you get that set up.

Hope that helps.

#11 gunterm

gunterm

• S4GRU Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTopeka, Kansas

Posted 07 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info!

I'll probably have to get the 6100D deactivated since it's on FreedomPop right now.

#12 red_dog007

red_dog007

• S4GRU Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationChattanooga

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:10 AM

Wait, so those antenna's aren't for the WiFi?  They are the Tx/Rx antenna's for the cellular connection?  Watched a youtube setting one up with a yagi. Guy got huge RF gains.

#13 belusnecropolis

belusnecropolis

• PipPipPip
  • 970 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:41 AM

Wait, so those antenna's aren't for the WiFi? They are the Tx/Rx antenna's for the cellular connection? Watched a youtube setting one up with a yagi. Guy got huge RF gains.

You got it.

#14 dedub

dedub

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • Phones/Devices:EVO 4G > 3D > iphart 5 > HTC One > Note 2 > Nexus 5 or HTC One H/K
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

I missed this thread somehow until now, thanks for posting, nice with 3 different options for folks!

#15 ingenium

ingenium

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Google Pixel XL
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA & Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:18 PM

Wait, so those antenna's aren't for the WiFi? They are the Tx/Rx antenna's for the cellular connection? Watched a youtube setting one up with a yagi. Guy got huge RF gains.

Can you post a link to that video?

Sent from my Pixel XL

#16 red_dog007

red_dog007

• S4GRU Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationChattanooga

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:11 AM

Can you post a link to that video?

Sent from my Pixel XL

It's pretty funny, currently house hunting and the only internet options I will have are from these websites.  Might be testing out these providers out soon. :-P

@kgor93, do you know if the 100GB and 200GB plans that offer ATT/VZW service are capped, or are they just throttled as well? There are two towers I'd be able to point too, those towers are light duty rural towers made for range. Need them GBs. xbox a lone is ~250GB/mo average.

#17 gunterm

gunterm

• S4GRU Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTopeka, Kansas

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

Got the hotspot, have good signal in and around the house, but my speed is AWFUL.  I'm talking less than 1 mbit download and upload speeds on band 41 with 2 bars!  How do I whine to Sprint to fix this, or should I just send back the device and cancel?

EDIT: It works fine elsewhere in town, just near my house where I actually need it to be fast it isn't.

Edited by gunterm, 19 December 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#18 red_dog007

red_dog007

• S4GRU Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationChattanooga

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Nice. I ended up picking up https://4gantennashop.com/ rural america plan. $65 a month but T-Mobile is way faster than Sprint in my area. Like 50 Mbps vs 15 Mbps. Hope more people use the Calyx plan. Bargain for rural users.

Which modem did you get?  Happen to know if it LTE Category it supports?  Even the manual doesn't really state.  I'd guess it just supports up to one 20MHz carrier. Does it have the ability to hook up an external antenna?

#19 bipbapbam

bipbapbam

Member Level: Digital

• S4GRU Sponsor
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Phones/Devices:iPhone 6+
  • LocationStafford, VA

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:36 PM

Did they remove the netgear 6100D as an option? I don't see it anymore.

#20 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung Galaxy Note 5 32GB (White), Apple iPhone 5S 16GB (Space Gray), Sprint Wi-Fi Connect Router, Sierra 3G/4G USB Modem, Karma Go Hotspot
  • LocationAppleton, Wisconsin

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

Did they remove the netgear 6100D as an option? I don't see it anymore.

Yup, about a year ago... right when I was about to get one myself and haven't been able to find one ANYWHERE since then.  :(

Marshall - 22 - College Student, Small Business Owner, Hawaiian Lover, Football & Baseball Fanatic, Sprint Backer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

North Wisconsin Premier Thread (Sponsorship Required)         North Wisconsin Thread (General Access)

Madison/Milwaukee Premier Thread (Sponsorship Required)         Madison/Milwaukee Thread (General Access)

Karma Go Hotspot User Thread (General Access)

Not a sponsor yet? Click HERE to become one today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users