Phone Unlocking Policy Discussion

Ascertion

At the bootom of this page

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

There's a bunch of phones that it will only do an international unlock for; how is that legal?

There are 3 columns, the left 2 are domestic unlock and the third is international. All the phones say they can unlock domestically on that list just most use MSL and the iphones use DSU

Well, I'm glad my iPhone is DSU capable. I don't understand the MSL unlockable (android) phone column. Haven't Sprint android users been able to obtain their MSL for a long time now? How is Sprint giving you the MSL going to "unlock" the phone?

Sent from my iPhone 6+

There are 3 columns, the left 2 are domestic unlock and the third is international. All the phones say they can unlock domestically on that list just most use MSL and the iphones use DSU

So when all's done, a sprint iphone 4S customer, after MSL unlock, could use their phone on TMO or ATT?

Was it law or just threat of law to come with a industry protocol?

There was a law passed in 2014 that reversed the Library of Congress's copyright ruling that had made unlocking your phone illegal under the DMCA. But nothing was passed forcing carriers to unlock phones. This seems like the fulfilling of an industry promise from last year.  Probably in an effort to cut off any regulations or legislation mandating it. 

http://www.cnet.com/news/president-signs-cell-phone-unlocking-bill-into-law/

I just called Sprint to see if I could sneak in early, but they're really adhering to that 2/19 date. They're claiming they need a special, magical software update on their end which is provided by Apple. I hope that date sticks, and we don't get some kind of never-ending runaround from them. They were pretty angry sounding when I mentioned "domestic unlock." 2 separate CSRs promised me that my iPhone 6+ would be unlocked, but would probably never work with other providers cellular networks. Yeah, ok.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I just called Sprint to see if I could sneak in early, but they're really adhering to that 2/19 date. They're claiming they need a special, magical software update on their end which is provided by Apple. I hope that date sticks, and we don't get some kind of never-ending runaround from them. They were pretty angry sounding when I mentioned "domestic unlock." 2 separate CSRs promised me that my iPhone 6+ would be unlocked, but would probably never work with other providers cellular networks. Yeah, ok.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

They are probably thinking your going to leave sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are probably thinking your going to leave sprint.

I'm sure there was an internal memo about this to tell everyone requesting an unlock that "your phone will be unlocked, but most likely won't work elsewhere" as a method of retention.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I'm sure there was an internal memo about this to tell everyone requesting an unlock that "your phone will be unlocked, but most likely won't work elsewhere" as a method of retention.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I agree 100% and that's probably why there is just a msl for the android phones on that list.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

There will be thousands of scenarios where this phone and that phone work with this network and not that network.  Or will work with this or that network, but not certain bands or technologies.  Sprint is smart to stay out of it and just give a standard disclaimer.  Can you imagine, based on the average competency and training of Sprint CSR's (and now foreign call centers) if Sprint tried to give info about how or where your specific unlocked device can be used outside Sprint?  That would be a certified disaster.

This is the best you can expect from Sprint under the circumstances, IMHO.  It's not like you got Comcasted.

• Like 4

I'm just wondering what this holds for Sprint's future. Do you guys think this will hurt Sprint? Or help them gain a new customer base. Will other devices be whitelisted for Sprint to accept? How many devices are in the wild other than the iPhone 6/nexus 5 & 6 that will work on/be allowed by Sprint? Let's only look at the Sprint iPhone 6 model A1586: unlocking this phone will now make it (probably) the most valuable iPhone as far as resale compared to the worst resale amongst iPhones. This is a huge plus for Sprint customers when it comes time to upgrade. I wonder if this will cause a mass-exodus of Sprint now that they can be taken almost anywhere, save for Verizon. Maybe there are thousands of people who have been holding on to iphone 5/5s's who are out of contract, may not have the money to buy a new phone, and are fed up with sprint coverage where they live, who can now finally take those phones to att/TMO/prepaid gsm. I don't know--my thoughts are all over the place on this topic. I'm wondering who this hurts and who it helps.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

There will be thousands of scenarios where this phone and that phone work with this network and not that network. Or will work with this or that network, but not certain bands or technologies. Sprint is smart to stay out of it and just give a standard disclaimer. Can you imagine, based on the average competency and training of Sprint CSR's (and now foreign call centers) if Sprint tried to give info about how or where your specific unlocked device can be used outside Sprint? That would be a certified disaster.

I agree completely.

But someone should work on a matrix showing what carrier varient phones will work on other carriers. I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened already. I might do a basic one with recent flagships this weekend since I have tomorrow and Monday off.

• Like 3

I agree completely.

But someone should work on a matrix showing what carrier varient phones will work on other carriers. I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened already. I might do a basic one with recent flagships this weekend since I have tomorrow and Monday off.

Here's a quick teaser: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nrDlcrg43gp24lAWAT3HzuBgnBrg8keQBs4iIBWt6Nk/edit?usp=sharing

I included the nexuses because their band info was easy to find. I'll have to do some digging for most other phones apparently.

I need to get some sleep, but I'll keep working on it tomorrow. I might add a column for CA. Let me know if any of y'all have read-ability improvement suggestions/corrections/etc! I'll check back in the morning.

• Like 1

I was just thinking this. Recently purchased an iPhone6 on ebay for one of the other lines on my account and the Sprint variants are definitely less costly. Should be quite sought after now.

Yep. Soon, there will be no more cheap, used iPhones for us Sprint customers from eBay, Swappa, and CL. Get 'em quick while ya can.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

This is good for consumers.  If you fully own a device, you should be able to do what you wish with it, period. 

Will this be good for Sprint?  Probably not a huge positive impact.  Yes, it makes Sprint's plans more attractive now that people on other carriers will not be required to buy new phones now if they don't want to.  And Sprint users should not be punished on the resale market anymore.  But, there are few devices sold by other carriers that have B41 for example that I think most would agree is required for the best experience on Sprint.  Also, I would think now VZW and ATT would just use their influence with device makers to get variants made just for them that only have the bands required for their networks and a minimum of additional bands needed for roaming.  I don't think it is going to be the free for all some are envisioning. 

Here's a quick teaser: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nrDlcrg43gp24lAWAT3HzuBgnBrg8keQBs4iIBWt6Nk/edit?usp=sharing

I included the nexuses because their band info was easy to find. I'll have to do some digging for most other phones apparently.

I need to get some sleep, but I'll keep working on it tomorrow. I might add a column for CA. Let me know if any of y'all have read-ability improvement suggestions/corrections/etc! I'll check back in the morning.

Update: here's the sheet with most S5 models (having trouble finding band numbers for the Canadian variant): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/166lnrEoE50GXDKf3eM0eUNpy5a-pRnITmhj4cmL2gxI/edit?usp=sharing

I'll probably end up putting this in its own thread and consolidating the fustercluck of notes into a separate Google doc.

• Like 2

There will be thousands of scenarios where this phone and that phone work with this network and not that network. Or will work with this or that network, but not certain bands or technologies. Sprint is smart to stay out of it and just give a standard disclaimer. Can you imagine, based on the average competency and training of Sprint CSR's (and now foreign call centers) if Sprint tried to give info about how or where your specific unlocked device can be used outside Sprint? That would be a certified disaster.

This is the best you can expect from Sprint under the circumstances, IMHO. It's not like you got Comcasted.

True, however, since most DSU phones will also happen to be CCA capable, plus will need to allow for roaming in the Americas on GSM and UMTS networks then one would think they would, by definition, also be fully compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile here in the U.S. at least.

Edited by GoWireless
  • Like 2

True, however, since most DSU phones will also happen to be CCA capable, plus will need to allow for roaming in the Americas on GSM and UMTS networks then one would think they would, by definition, also be fully compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile here in the U.S. at least.

And as a result Sprint is kind of at a disadvantage to other carriers. Sprint phones will probably work on other carrier networks (only exception is Verizon) but outside of the RRPP no other carrier's phones will be fully compatible with Sprint.

Of course, hopefully we get some true single-SKU flagships this year so this won't be an issue anymore. So far only Nexus (and Apple technically) have been able to pull it off (AFAIK).

And as a result Sprint is kind of at a disadvantage to other carriers. Sprint phones will probably work on other carrier networks (only exception is Verizon) but outside of the RRPP no other carrier's phones will be fully compatible with Sprint.

Of course, hopefully we get some true single-SKU flagships this year so this won't be an issue anymore. So far only Nexus (and Apple technically) have been able to pull it off (AFAIK).

On the bright side, Sprint handset resale value will increase now that DSU devices are going to come onto the market. That will be a good thing for Sprint customers.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that this question has been asked somewhere else, but I can't find it, so here goes...

With the new phone Unlocking Policy, will it mean that the Sprint version of the M8 be able to be used on a GSM carrier?

The reason I'm asking that is because the phone already has a GSM mode listed in the settings. I know that at the moment, the GSM setting does not work on my phone, but I was just wondering if it was unlocked, if the settings would work.

Why is their no domestic SIM unlock for the galaxy s devices? Won't these phones work fine on at&t or tmobile (minus LTE)?

Galaxy s4/s5 that have an accessible sim slot use the same GSM bands that are standard globally.  Edge/HSPA 14 are supported on Sprint devices.  I've got my rooted LG G2 running on T-Mobile using their GSM technologies (no LTE).  Yes, they do support it but Sprint needs to unlock the device or you can via rooting (which voids warranty).

Galaxy s4/s5 that have an accessible sim slot use the same GSM bands that are standard globally. Edge/HSPA 14 are supported on Sprint devices. I've got my rooted LG G2 running on T-Mobile using their GSM technologies (no LTE). Yes, they do support it but Sprint needs to unlock the device or you can via rooting (which voids warranty).

That's my point, why isn't this being unlocked for domestic use?

Why is their no domestic SIM unlock for the galaxy s devices? Won't these phones work fine on at&t or tmobile (minus LTE)?

That's my point, why isn't this being unlocked for domestic use?

Read the entire thread.  The start date this month is for devices released after that date.  No current Samsung Galaxy devices qualify.

AJ