Phone Unlocking Policy Discussion

Ascertion

Has anyone that tried getting unlocked try getting their DSU through the international department? If there's any one department that actually knows what they're doing, it's them.

If you read the unlock terms closely it states that unlocking is supposed to be automatic when the terms are fulfilled, and in my case by some apparent act of God my phone was automatically unlocked as soon as I ported my number out.

I'll just wait until apple starts selling the fully unlocked edition for all carriers that way I don't have to hassle with Sprint on unlocking it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They already do. You just walk in and ask for a SIM-Free iPhone and you pay full price for it and you can use whatever SIM card your little heart desires. :)

-Anthony

They already do. You just walk in and ask for a SIM-Free iPhone and you pay full price for it and you can use whatever SIM card your little heart desires. :)

-Anthony

Sorry I left out the when the next iPhone gets released.

• Like 1

I'll just wait until apple starts selling the fully unlocked edition for all carriers that way I don't have to hassle with Sprint on unlocking it for me.

They already have with the iPhone 6/6+ (a1586/a1524, respectively). It is fully compatible, save for T-Mobile band 12, and able to be activated on every single provider in America without hassle.

Edit: I didn't read far enough into the thread. Anthony already answered this.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone that tried getting unlocked try getting their DSU through the international department? If there's any one department that actually knows what they're doing, it's them.

If you read the unlock terms closely it states that unlocking is supposed to be automatic when the terms are fulfilled, and in my case by some apparent act of God my phone was automatically unlocked as soon as I ported my number out.

I didn't have any luck with the international dept.  

I called the standard customer service line few times, got escalated, nothing happened, waited 2-3 weeks, called again, the CSR reviewed my file and contacted her supervisor.

While I was on hold the last time, they reset my phone while I was on the line with them.  Phone rebooted (which also dropped my call with them) and my phone was instantly unlocked.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There is now a paid service option to get the S6 & S6E ISU'ed and DSU'ed. It costs $50 & it seems to be done through an app the dev sends you. I bought it just today but I'm not expecting delivery until tomorrow at the earliest due to the 4th.

In case this is useful for anyone else, here's the site:

www.idoneapps.webs.com

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Today the Dev reached out & he performed the DSU remotely via my PC.

He used adb & custom apk to send a Profile update to my S6E to DSU it.

It worked as promised but I wasn't able to connect to AT&T LTE band 2 nor band 4 despite my S6E having support for it. My N5 gets both band 4 & band 17 at the same location at home.

There is a catch though. I can't perform a Profile update as my phone will become locked again.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Today the Dev reached out & he performed the DSU remotely via my PC.

He used adb & custom apk to send a Profile update to my S6E to DSU it.

It worked as promised but I wasn't able to connect to AT&T LTE band 2 nor band 4 despite my S6E having support for it. My N5 gets both band 4 & band 17 at the same location at home.

There is a catch though. I can't perform a Profile update as my phone will become locked again.

Did you set Network mode to Automatic?  I cant get LTE with Network Mode set to GSM/UMTS - only Automatic.

• Like 1

Did you set Network mode to Automatic? I cant get LTE with Network Mode set to GSM/UMTS - only Automatic.

Ooh, no, I didn't try automatic. I'll give that a shot.

• 3 months later...

Well I learned a valuable lesson today.

So I upgraded to the Nexus 5x and sold my GS6 that I  unlocked.  I was using it on sprint just fine, switched to my N5x, sold GS6 on eBay.

eBay customer tries to activate on sprint and can't.  Turns out, when I unlocked it, sprint automatically deleted the MEID/IMEI from Sprint's whitelist.  How nice of those fucking assholes (pardon my language but it's bullshit).

Buy a sprint branded device, unlock it, and say goodbye to reactivating it.  The guy attempted to create a ticket to have it re-whitelisted... we'll see.  What a pain. (small update: sprint did re-add it to the white list, just was a giant unknown pain)

This is NOT disclosed in their unlock policy and is a completely vindictive way to treat a customer.

• Like 5

Well I learned a valuable lesson today.

So I upgraded to the Nexus 5x and sold my GS6 that I unlocked. I was using it on sprint just fine, switched to my N5x, sold GS6 on eBay.

eBay customer tries to activate on sprint and can't. Turns out, when I unlocked it, sprint automatically deleted the MEID/IMEI from Sprint's whitelist. How nice of those fucking assholes (pardon my language but it's bullshit).

Buy a sprint branded device, unlock it, and say goodbye to reactivating it. The guy attempted to create a ticket to have it re-whitelisted... we'll see. What a pain.

This is NOT disclosed in their unlock policy and is a completely vindictive way to treat a customer.

That is seriously messed up. I can't imagine this being intentional, as it just prevents a possible new customer from joining Sprint. It has to be just ineptitude when setting up the process.

But either way, they need to get that fixed. It's in their own interest to do so. This won't help anyone. It is poor logic to assume every unlocked phone is leaving Sprint forever.

Thanks for the warning!

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 2

I had a similar situation...

Recently I switched from the HTC M8 to the Nexus 6.

When I originally got my HTC M8, a friend at work unlocked it and rooted it for me so that I could use apps like TiBu snd Ad Away.

About a year later, I decided to switch to the Nexus 6, and sold my HTC M8 to a Mobile phone reseller company.

I got a message from the company that they weren't able to activate the phone on Sprint, because it was unlocked.

After a few emails back and forth, the reseller rep I was working with was able to 'call in a favor' and get the HTC M8 added back into the Sprint database, so that it could be activated.

I decided to sell my HTC M8 to a Mobile Phone reseller.

When they got my phone, they were unable to activate it on Sprint because the phone showed as 'Blocked' in the Sprint database. When I told the Mobile phone reseller rep that the phone had been rooted and unlocked, he figured that was the reason that the phone was blocked in the Sprint database.

After a few emails back and forth between the rep and myself, the rep was able to 'call in a favor' from a coworker of his, and get the phone cleared in the Sprint database.

• Like 1