Phone Unlocking Policy Discussion

Ascertion

So will Sprint unlock the iPhone 6 Plus now?

As far as I know only an unlocked SIM free 6/6+ bought directly from Apple will be unlocked and work with any carrier, including Sprint.  Apparently these phones are whitelisted.  A 6+ bought from Sprint will still be locked to Sprint and they will only lock for non-domestic use.

So with the flex 2 coming out soon will that fall under the unlocking policy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So with the flex 2 coming out soon will that fall under the unlocking policy?

We don't even know the release date yet. If it comes out at the end of January like the original G Flex, the question would presumably be moot.

Sprint sure needs to provide some additional guidance pretty soon about how exactly they plan to implement this new policy. I for one won't be shelling out for that or any other flagship again until they do.

I also hope they have some training documents queued for store reps to reference. Otherwise, there will be even more confusion than there was in the wake of the Nexus 5 launch.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is news.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/2ut91c/clarifying_ctia_and_sprints_unlock_policy/

5S/5C/6/6+ and all phones released after 2/19 will be automatically unlocked at the end of the 2-year contract or device installment plan. Looks like current Android phones won't be getting any unlock love.

• Like 3

Well this is news.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comments/2ut91c/clarifying_ctia_and_sprints_unlock_policy/

5S/5C/6/6+ and all phones released after 2/19 will be automatically unlocked at the end of the 2-year contract or device installment plan. Looks like current Android phones won't be getting any unlock love.

So my iPhone 6 and 6+ that I currently own will be unlocked if I read that correctly?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Well this is news.

Amazing, Sprint is doing something consumer-friendly for iPhones! But as for the rest of us, it looks like we get no love for now...

• Like 1

So my iPhone 6 and 6+ that I currently own will be unlocked if I read that correctly?

Seems to be that way. They won't be unlocked until they are 100% yours though, ie contract fulfilled or device balance paid off.

Seems to be that way. They won't be unlocked until they are 100% yours though, ie contract fulfilled or device balance paid off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

Let's hope but I wonder how it would work in my case because I'm under contract with a 5s but bought my 6 outright. Probably would need to show proof.

I'm hoping this is finally the start of the move to C-SIM. That would be a nice change. 

It would be, but honestly, I don't know if Sprint would do that. It seems somewhat unlikely, given their past and the lack of terms that mandate it.

They won't be unlocked until they are 100% yours though, ie contract fulfilled or device balance paid off.

Which is the way it should be.

Kudos to Sprint for setting up "DSU" devices (yay, a new acronym for us to throw around!) to be automatically unlocked upon eligibility. Not having to take it into a store to get it done makes life easier for everyone, especially the front-line reps.

A few more questions remain:

1.) How will this work for MVNO & branded prepaid customers? Will the network be configured to push out the OTA unlock automatically to their phones as well? Currently, MVNO's may submit international unlock requests (one-by-one) to Sprint on behalf of their customers, FWIW.

2.) Will this affect the international unlock policy or procedure in any way?

3.) Will there be an official method to unlock devices that are purchased at full price at retail, but not subsequently activated on the Sprint network? E.g. A T-Mobile sub who'd like to purchase a CCA+DSU device for use with T-Mobile, rather than the T-Mobile model, for maximum flexibility.

4.) In the event that not all devices launched on or after February 11 (or is it now the 1st?) will be DSU (which seems likely), how will it be made known which phones are or aren't DSU?

Well this is news.

Dangit.  I should raise holy crap for my 4S that I have as well.  That's just bunk that they wouldn't include the one other iPhone that they sold that was global capable.

At least my 5S will be automatically unlocked after 2/19 since it is paid off.

I wonder if the BYOD stuff Sprint almost launched in Dec was waiting on all of this to happen first before before they launched it.  

Dangit. I should raise holy crap for my 4S that I have as well. That's just bunk that they wouldn't include the one other iPhone that they sold that was global capable.

At least my 5S will be automatically unlocked after 2/19 since it is paid off.

I wonder if the BYOD stuff Sprint almost launched in Dec was waiting on all of this to happen first before before they launched it.

The iPhone 5 is not included either. How unfortunate, because I still have it. Nice to know my 5S will be on the 19th too, and as soon as I pay off my 6 Plus it will auto-unlock.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk 3.1.1

It'll be interesting now that devices with CCA compatibility will be fully compatible with T-Mobile's network (B4, 12, etc.) I wonder if T-Mobile will aggressively target Sprint like they do AT&T.

I see that as a possibility, but I sure hope that T-Mobile will just join the CCA/RRPP instead.

• Like 1

Let's hope but I wonder how it would work in my case because I'm under contract with a 5s but bought my 6 outright. Probably would need to show proof.

That question was asked in the reddit thread. It looks like Sprint doesn't have an answer for that (no big surprise there I guess :unsure:). The guy from Sprint couldn't even conceive of this situation happening (someone on contract purchasing a device outright while they are still under contract on another device).

That question was asked in the reddit thread. It looks like Sprint doesn't have an answer for that (no big surprise there I guess :unsure:). The guy from Sprint couldn't even conceive of this situation happening (someone on contract purchasing a device outright while they are still under contract on another device).

I know when I got the iPhone that I called sprint to see if I could get the iPhone plan and the rep asked for my order number and he called apple to verify if I did pay full price. And within a hour I got a call back and they said that I could get the plan but I guess they had that already worked out. Oh well I'll just play things by ear. I don't plan on leaving sprint but it would help out a lot if I did plan on selling one of my iPhone's especially since sprint has that mother of all iPhones 6s

I see that as a possibility, but I sure hope that T-Mobile will just join the CCA/RRPP instead.

If that were to force T-Mobile to support CDMA, there's no way in hell it would subject itself to that kind of cost increase. Only if it made it so all upcoming Sprint devices supported GSM/WCDMA instead (there's a spec for CDMA devices to roam on GSM/WCDMA freely, just not the other way back due to 3GPP networks not being able to supply the PRLs and such).

Note Sprint just updated it's unlocking FAQ.

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

Unlocking for Domestic Usage

Sprint will unlock a device from Sprint's network under the following circumstances:

• Any associated Service Agreement, Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including payment in full of any applicable early termination fees or end-of-lease purchase options
  • The associated account is in good standing
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked

Generally, if you have a device that was launched prior to February 2015 and it is capable of being unlocked, Sprint will provide a bill notification and/or text message when you are eligible to have your device unlocked. The bill notification will direct you to Sprint Customer Care who can assist in efforts to unlock your device.

For domestic SIM unlockable ("DSU") devices launched after February 2015, Sprint will automatically unlock the device when it becomes eligible.

For inactive devices, customers must contact Sprint Customer Care to request that their DSU-capable device be unlocked and may have to take steps to perform an over-the-air update to ensure the unlock programming has been relayed to the device.

• Like 1

Sprint will unlock a device from Sprint's network under the following circumstances:

• Any associated Service Agreement, Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including payment in full of any applicable early termination fees or end-of-lease purchase options
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked

Generally, if you have a device that was launched prior to February 2015 and it is capable of being unlocked, Sprint will provide a bill notification and/or text message when you are eligible to have your device unlocked. The bill notification will direct you to Sprint Customer Care who can assist in efforts to unlock your device.

For domestic SIM unlockable ("DSU") devices launched after February 2015, Sprint will automatically unlock the device when it becomes eligible.

For inactive devices, customers must contact Sprint Customer Care to request that their DSU-capable device be unlocked and may have to take steps to perform an over-the-air update to ensure the unlock programming has been relayed to the device.

Cool so sounds like for my iPhone 6 that I paid full price for that I'm currently not using I would need to call in and get it unlocked. Cool beans!

This is amazing that this is happening. All these years with Sprint, and it took a law to shake them loose from their high pedestal of locked hell. Now it almost seems too easy to get my full-price iPhone unlocked, further increasing its value.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

This is amazing that this is happening. All these years with Sprint, and it took a law to shake them loose from their high pedestal of locked hell. Now it almost seems too easy to get my full-price iPhone unlocked, further increasing its value.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Was it law or just threat of law to come with a industry protocol?

At the bootom of this page

There's a bunch of phones that it will only do an international unlock for; how is that legal?