Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

He's scared.

okay let me revise my earlier statement... yes maybe he is...

seems that maybe the end of the line is near? <not saying the sky is falling but hey>

http://www.phonedog.com/2014/08/28/t-mobile-parent-deutsche-telekom-reportedly-would-talk-t-mo-sale-at-35-per-share-bid/

Running on gprs you'll seek out WiFi when ever you a can.

You won't run on GPRS in most of Europe. You'll have access to HSPA+. You'll just be throttled to 128Kbps of throughput, but still have the latency and reliability of an HSPA+ connection. If you want more throughput, you can pay for a data pass to access the full performance of the UMTS network (HSPA+/DC-HSPA+). Pretty soon, you'll be able to have access to roaming on LTE, too. Deutsche Telekom has been working on it for some time now.

okay let me revise my earlier statement... yes maybe he is...

seems that maybe the end of the line is near? <not saying the sky is falling but hey>

http://www.phonedog.com/2014/08/28/t-mobile-parent-deutsche-telekom-reportedly-would-talk-t-mo-sale-at-35-per-share-bid/

I hope that shuts off some people that DT was not looking to sell. Really?

Maybe DT, is worried about AT&T rumors again about Vodafone? And DT would like the extra money on hand if needed? Pure BS speculation on my part.

I think DT needs the money to invest in their landline network, as in FTTH. The cable companies are threatening their territory and DT needs to respond. Plus invest in their far flung mobile networks.

Tmo was hit was a 819k fine for hearing aid compatible phones from 2009-2010. The first comment I see is how it is unfair and how it is old and tmo shouldn't be charged for it because no one got harmed from it. Now I know there is some rule that phones need to be hearing aid compatible and truth is Tmo did not comply to it so they got a fine. Now if this was Sprint, Tmo customers would be the first to say that's what sprint deserves we will be number 3 soon ( who cares who's number 3 or 4). They can dish out the hard truth but can't take it. Oh this was on tmonews btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Tmo was hit was a 819k fine for hearing aid compatible phones from 2009-2010. The first comment I see is how it is unfair and how it is old and tmo shouldn't be charged for it because no one got harmed from it. Now I know there is some rule that phones need to be hearing aid compatible and truth is Tmo did not comply to it so they got a fine. Now if this was Sprint, Tmo customers would be the first to say that's what sprint deserves we will be number 3 soon ( who cares who's number 3 or 4). They can dish out the hard truth but can't take it. Oh this was on tmonews btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-Mobile can do no wrong!

I hope that shuts off some people that DT was not looking to sell. Really?

some people who? DT is looking to sell. They're not doing well in Europe. One of their competitors in Germany just merged so DT needs all the money it can scrounge up for network upgrades and mergers while they still can

Maybe DT, is worried about AT&T rumors again about Vodafone? And DT would like the extra money on hand if needed? Pure BS speculation on my part.

close. There's a drive to shrink the amount of wireless carriers of which there are many in Europe, to something like what the US has - 4 national carriers, operating across the European continent in every country. It's already happening somewhat with DT and others buying up companies in Czech republic and elsewhere

Edited by jbom

some people who? DT is looking to sell. They're not doing well in Europe. One of their competitors in Germany just merged so DT needs all the money it can scrounge up for network upgrades and mergers while they still can

I think if you polled 10 tmo fan boys, 11 would say tmo is doing amazing and shouldn't sell.
  • Like 3

close. There's a drive to shrink the amount of wireless carriers of which there are many in Europe, to something like what the US has - 4 national carriers, operating across the European continent in every country. It's already happening somewhat with DT and others buying up companies in Czech republic and elsewhere

The Magentans are not yet acknowledging that DT is looking to sell. Even when they acknowledge that they are selling, they doubt the rationale, as in why would they want to sell now that T-Mobile is doing so well. I keep telling them that they are buyin customers and it is expensive and there are auctions soming up and upgrades of the rest of the network, but they don't want to hear it.

• Like 2

The Magentans are not yet acknowledging that DT is looking to sell. Even when they acknowledge that they are selling, they doubt the rationale, as in why would they want to sell now that T-Mobile is doing so well. I keep telling them that they are buyin customers and it is expensive and there are auctions soming up and upgrades of the rest of the network, but they don't want to hear it.

Sprint has very clear strategy from the day they dropped the merger plan.

They are pressing down the margin and turn-around the growth of T-mobile. It brings concerns of potential buyers of T-mobile. It means any potential buyer of T-mobile has to change their business case and re-do the financial analysis.

In mean time, Sprint is preparing more exotic phone line-up by bringing sharp and sony into its offering this fall.

Sprint is working to make both device and network more attractive to users.

T-mobile is sending invitation of their uncarrier event scheduled on Sep.10th. I guess T-mobile tries so hard in past weeks to respond in order to make Sprint stop escalating the price war. The event on Sep.10th must give even better offer.

However, they underestimate determination of Softbank to make no one dare to buy T-mobile. That's why Marcelo has not given out any capped data plan for individuals after the $60 unlimited was announced. Softbank/Sprint are waiting for T-mobile to react. Then give them another hammer.

Without the need to buy T-mobile, Softbank has a lot of money to help Sprint grow its subscriber. We may see 4th quarter as first quarter to have net growth in post-paid smartphone users.

• Like 4

I think Legere made a tactical mistake in going after Sprint. In fact Sprint and T-Mo should have had a "no compete" agreement and gone after Verizon and AT&T either together or separate. Unfortunately, Legere favors style over substance.

• Like 2

I think if you polled 10 tmo fan boys, 11 would say tmo is doing amazing and shouldn't sell.

Well I'm magenta, but you have to be under a rock to not see it. The previous T-Mobile US management had shit for brains, so they painted themselves into a corner and gave up when AT&T came calling with a fat $39b check. When that failed they had to do something. Good thing Hoettges had the presence of mind to take advantage of AT&T's arrogance and get them to agree to the breakup deal.

I think under different circumstances Deutsche Telekom would not be in a hurry to ditch T-Mobile, it is one of their best performing units, if not the best, however ... the German government is pushing for spectrum auctions this year and ignored pleas for a delay until 2018 from the telecoms - it's auctioning off new spectrum and I believe also renewals that were originally supposed to expire in 2016. So Deutsche Telekom has to participate whether it wants to or not. In previous years they would just repatriate T-Mobile US profit to Germany but now with Legere cleaning up years of shoddy management they can't do it.

And it's not like DT are great at managing the operations. For the success BMW, VW and others are having Deutsche Telekom has dropped the ball repeatedly, their UK operations didn't turn out so well good thing Orange played ball.

Also, O2 and E-Plus just merged to create the largest wireless carrier in Germany with 44 million users so DT missed on that opportunity as well, they are now second and will have to contend with a new 4th entrant soon.

[...] In fact Sprint and T-Mo should have had a "no compete" agreement and gone after Verizon and AT&T either together or separate. Unfortunately, Legere favors style over substance.

uh that would be collusion, and it's highly illegal.

I would have liked to see Sprint and T-Mobile merge networks. That might still be in the cards now that the IRS says it treats network assets as real estate. Both can spin their networks into a new entitiy, get tax benefits from it and reduce CAPEX. Especially for Sprint which would need to have a denser network than even TMUS with that 2.5Ghz

Of course we have an utterly stupid and inept FCC which allows AT&T and Verizon to dominate low-band spectrum so that also doesn't help. 

Everyone is buying customers at this point, growth has stalled. Verizon propped its numbers up for the second quarter by giving away free tablets on 2 year contract then went tadaa look at our numbers, yet their phone adds were barely 350k.

All carriers can do now is poach users from each other. That or everyone starts having more seks so in 18 years there would be a fresh influx of new customers

Edited by jbom
  • Like 1

I would have liked to see Sprint and T-Mobile merge networks.

In practice, this doesn't actually happen. History has shown numerous times that "Merge networks" is (usually) a euphemism for "kill a network".

Sure, some small token amount of stuff might get pulled over. But the vast majority of the coverage will be considered "overlapping" (even though it largely isn't) and one of the two networks would be by-and-large entirely shutdown.

That's where the "reduced CAPEX" comes from. By killing someone's sites and backhaul. Merged networks is good for stockholders. But it's not good for folks using those networks.

• Like 1

uh that would be collusion, and it's highly illegal.

That's why I put it in quotes. You cant tell me that Big Red and the Death Star have not colluded. They just don't put it down on paper.

I think Legere made a tactical mistake in going after Sprint. In fact Sprint and T-Mo should have had a "no compete" agreement and gone after Verizon and AT&T either together or separate. Unfortunately, Legere favors style over substance.

Actually while competing with each other both Tmo and Sprint are competing with Verizon / ATT aggressively.

Sprint new plans are for every one. Especially the $60 unlimited plan for those Verizon / ATT customers who don't travel much but need more than 6GB a month is very attractive, if Sprint has a good coverage and speed where those customers live and work.

I would seriously give a thought to switch my other line from Verizon to Sprint, if Sprint gives out a capped 3GB individual plan for $45. I really don't need unlimited data and use around 2GB every month. I pay $70 some a month for 6GB to Verizon under contract. I have no problem to pay my phone upfront or monthly.

That's why I put it in quotes. You cant tell me that Big Red and the Death Star have not colluded. They just don't put it down on paper.

I agree. Just like no pharma company wants to make a medicine to cure cancer completely because all of them and hospitals/doctors/insurance companies will make much less money if a cancer patient took pills and going back to health. A lot of money can be made if the patient spent last 2 years going through many operations and medicines before death coming. There is really no incentives to make a medicine to cure cancer completely for general public there.

Actually while competing with each other both Tmo and Sprint are competing with Verizon / ATT aggressively.

Sprint new plans are for every one. Especially the $60 unlimited plan for those Verizon / ATT customers who don't travel much but need more than 6GB a month is very attractive, if Sprint has a good coverage and speed where those customers live and work.

I would seriously give a thought to switch my other line from Verizon to Sprint, if Sprint gives out a capped 3GB individual plan for $45. I really don't need unlimited data and use around 2GB every month. I pay $70 some a month for 6GB to Verizon under contract. I have no problem to pay my phone upfront or monthly.

There is always going to be cross shopping. That is just the nature of the beast. But Legere put a huge public bullseye on Sprint which I think was a huge mistake. Sprint in turn is now going after T-Mo in a much less public way. In my perfect world T-Mo would have gone after AT&T and Sprint would have gone after Verizon and/or AT&T.

• Like 1