Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Any band 41? Did you run any speed tests during peak times just to see what it was?

Today I did- at Buckingham Fountain and at the Bud Light state on the north side of the park. Pretty sure I spotted both carriers too; speeds were 1.5 up/down around 5:30 pm.

Still a little of a struggle near the stages but that is to be expected for any carrier. Again no issues with calls or SMS; LTE hung on real strong too.

A decent showing for Sprint if I do say so myself. Compared to last year and all the other festivals I've been to this summer (quite a few) this was the best I've seen Sprint at those large events. Just wish they would be more mindful of festivals out in the middle of no where (those are the best ones!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched the Metallica live stream, and that sea of people was insane. To have Sprint performing well enough to have been able to actually use your phone there is quite a feat. Also, I saw Twitter that Sprint had a phone charging tent there which is awesome. It would be even better if the tent was only for Sprint customers. That paired with usable service might sway some people who had bricks in their pocket all day.

• Like 2

A lot of coverage holes with weak B25 seem to be less prevalent.  I would think it's a result of USCC Conversions.

With those USCC Conversions and CA added to Sprint's solid text/voice performance, 2ndHalf2015 Rootmetrics could definitely give Sprint a solid 1st place in Chicago.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone experiencing issues with sending/receiving SMS? No luck on LTE or 3G. Data and calls work fine.

Seems to be a midwest issue. Many in the MO market not able to send, but able to receive texts. 

• Like 2

Seems to be a midwest issue. Many in the MO market not able to send, but able to receive texts. 

I am kansas city right now, and I had to turn on my wi-fi calling to get texts. a lot of people on downdetector.com

saying the same thing. Sprints twitter says it is a nationwide issue, and they are working on it

• Like 1

How is Sprint Chicago network today? Does it beat out Verizon in speed and coverage?

I'm sure in a few places, but certainly not overall. Head and shoulders above where it used to be though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Outage? I can't send SMS, make calls, or receive calls, and neither can the rest of my fam. Blehh... I'm so done with today

Yeah, same here in Lake in the Hills. Wifi calling works.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Same here on the southside. It has to be storm related. No phone calls, data works fine. My wife is imessaging me in a frenzy because she can't make phone calls and is getting dozens of repeat text messages sent to her. I just turned off Wi-Fi calling on her phone, too, and won't attempt to text her instructions to get it back on.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Outage affected NWI as well. Hearing it described it sounds like the exact same type of outage the area experienced back in March or early April of this year.

In a non related but coverage concerning matter; it appears NWI now has 2nd carrier band 41 and CA live. I know someone near me who is trying out Sprint right now and was able to get speeds just over 100 Mbps in one area, which is wonderful news! So far the closest I've ever seen on anyone was 90 Mbps on Verizon. T-Mobile and AT&T only seem to ever get Into the 70s at best.

The bad news is...STILL NO B26 OPTIMIZATION!! He reports dropping off LTE all over the place to unusable EVDO quite frequently.

The bad news is...STILL NO B26 OPTIMIZATION!! He reports dropping off LTE all over the place to unusable EVDO quite frequently.

I've contacted Tracy Nolan on Twitter about this recently, and was instructed by her to send a detailed email, so I did. We'll see what comes of it.

• Like 1

I've contacted Tracy Nolan on Twitter about this recently, and was instructed by her to send a detailed email, so I did. We'll see what comes of it.

Well that's great. I hope something good comes of it. I fear that nobody is even aware of this "little" issue. 

The sad part is, this person is already looking at exercising his 14 day return period because of this. Can't imagine how many other people already hesitant but willing to try Sprint are doing so and finding the same results and canceling. 

I hope that you get some answers, the total lack of band 26 optimization is out of control... I understand they need to use it for capacity over coverage but enough is enough, they need to adjust Irma for maximum coverage already. The 3G holes (where band 26 should cover) are getting old.

I hope that you get some answers, the total lack of band 26 optimization is out of control... I understand they need to use it for capacity over coverage but enough is enough, they need to adjust Irma for maximum coverage already. The 3G holes (where band 26 should cover) are getting old.

It really doesn't need to be used as a capacity later. We have 2x band 25 and 2x band 41, Sprint and Clearwire. Maybe it is optimized and this is the best it will be? Maybe sprint is waiting to optimize? Who knows. Hopefully, Tracy can provide some answers.

My bet is the holes have always been there, but the need for coverage has increased.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was wondering if additional load on the towers was causing some sort of cell breathing.

The bigger the load on a cell the more fringe areas will be without coverage.

I was wondering if additional load on the towers was causing some sort of cell breathing.

The bigger the load on a cell the more fringe areas will be without coverage.

"Cell breathing" does not affect LTE in the way that it does CDMA1X.

AJ

• Like 3

"Cell breathing" does not affect LTE in the way that it does CDMA1X.

AJ

Yeah you are definitely right, although if it's a congested cell won't the network or your device kick you off b26 in marginal areas so from the user perspective it's the same?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk