Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

So has Sprint run out of money or just stopped the upgrading and this is the extent of it. While I have a LTE signal in my town it is weak and not very consistent. It has been the same since I bought my S3 back in December and nothing as changed. I live in West Springfield and have LTE mostly all over town, Springfield has it in the downtown area but I haven't picked it up anywhere else in the city. Agawam has it over most of the town as well as the south eastern parts of Westfield. But like I said nothing has changed in coverage for the past 4 months and I am beginning to think that this is as good as it is going to get. I hope I am wrong and someone can enlighten me on if they are done or not. BTW the 3g is still horrendous to the point of unusable.

So has Sprint run out of money or just stopped the upgrading and this is the extent of it. While I have a LTE signal in my town it is weak and not very consistent. It has been the same since I bought my S3 back in December and nothing as changed. I live in West Springfield and have LTE mostly all over town, Springfield has it in the downtown area but I haven't picked it up anywhere else in the city. Agawam has it over most of the town as well as the south eastern parts of Westfield. But like I said nothing has changed in coverage for the past 4 months and I am beginning to think that this is as good as it is going to get. I hope I am wrong and someone can enlighten me on if they are done or not. BTW the 3g is still horrendous to the point of unusable.

The roll out has not stop and will not stop till all cell sites are done and accepted for 3G/4G/3g 800/ & potentially 4G 800. Sprint is putting billions into their roll-out and has begun or will be beginning nearly every market in the coming months. You may not see improvement in your area but other areas may be being worked on concurrently while whatever is holding up the cell sites in your area is being fixed be it permits, backhaul, whatever. Sprint contractors will not just sit on a specific location waiting for stuff to come together. If another cell site in another part of the market is ready and a crew is available, the crew will head to that site. It's just that simple.

• Like 2

Don't forget we had a crazy winter and it is only starting to get warm now, I would be patient the warmer weather should hopefully bring more LTE.

So has Sprint run out of money or just stopped the upgrading and this is the extent of it. While I have a LTE signal in my town it is weak and not very consistent. It has been the same since I bought my S3 back in December and nothing as changed...nothing has changed in coverage for the past 4 months and I am beginning to think that this is as good as it is going to get...

Relax.

This is a multi-million, multi-year, nationwide project to upgrade tens of thousands of cellular sites. Many areas of the country haven't seen any upgrades at all yet. MA is one of the lucky areas that started early on in the project.

There is a TON of work involved. State and local permits, angry neighbors, cooperation and coordination between many different vendors, different contractors, birds, weather.. lots of things.

Be patient. Its coming. Search anywhere on this forum and you will see the same message being relayed to everyone across the country.

-Mike

• Like 1

I still have the eerie feeling that tis will be just like the Wimax rollout. Kind of sort of implemented and a lot of customers left in the lurch. It seems really strange to start an area and then leave it half completed or a quarter completed and then move somewhere else. If the spottiness doesn't improve by September I think I will have to move over to the V.

I still have the eerie feeling that tis will be just like the Wimax rollout. Kind of sort of implemented and a lot of customers left in the lurch. It seems really strange to start an area and then leave it half completed or a quarter completed and then move somewhere else. If the spottiness doesn't improve by September I think I will have to move over to the V.

Not sure where you are getting that feeling from, but hey maybe you know something the rest of us don't.. otherwise, I suggest that you take some time and read some of the other threads on this forum before jumping to conclusions like that. This isn't something that will happen overnight. Nothing has been left half completed.. its either in progress or hasn't started yet. I don't consider the current rate of 1000+ upgrades completed per week as anything but positive.

-Mike

• Like 1

Where in mass are you having issues?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I am in the Springfield Area, Springfield itself only has LTE in the downtown area but the western suburbs have more LTE. It is pretty spotty though and there has been zero expansion in coverage since it went online about 5 months ago.

Every time I see this thread' date=' I get hungry. (for Boston Market) /ducks :lol:[/quote']

Boston Market was much better back when they were called Boston Chicken (before they were purchased by McDonald's).

Boston Market was much better back when they were called Boston Chicken (before they were purchased by McDonald's).

Agreed!

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Canada has Boston Pizza -- because everybody knows that Boston is renowned for its pizza.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

I left Sprint in January for Verizon, how is the LTE coverage in the Merrimack valley these days? I was considering switching back (I can't help it, I have a soft spot for Sprint), but have really gotten spoiled with regard to LTE coverage

I left Sprint in January for Verizon, how is the LTE coverage in the Merrimack valley these days? I was considering switching back (I can't help it, I have a soft spot for Sprint), but have really gotten spoiled with regard to LTE coverage

I would ride it out on VZN for another year. 2014 is looking much better in terms of LTE coverage on Sprint.

In other news, I am rounding out a year waiting for Sprint to upgrade backhaul/turn on LTE on the site located on top of 180 Berkeley Street. After staring at a fancy antenna for the better part of a year, I am starting to lose patience. It's unique to sprint with no other carriers on the roof. As a result, Sprint actually has very different coverage pattern than some competitors (which is great).

It's getting there.. every tower along Route 3 has 4G accepted; I haven't paid close attention, but it seems like around here, once 4G is accepted, it is accessible. Most of Lowell is covered, Tewksbury has 2 towers live, and 4G started broadcasting from the tower at the Dascomb Rd exit off 93 last week.

I'm happy with the progress, but don't know if its worth jumping carriers right this second, unless you have other reasons. LTE coverage is still filling in. Check Sensorly, its the best source for true signal strengths out there.

-Mike

It's getting there.. every tower along Route 3 has 4G accepted; I haven't paid close attention, but it seems like around here, once 4G is accepted, it is accessible. Most of Lowell is covered, Tewksbury has 2 towers live, and 4G started broadcasting from the tower at the Dascomb Rd exit off 93 last week.

I'm happy with the progress, but don't know if its worth jumping carriers right this second, unless you have other reasons. LTE coverage is still filling in. Check Sensorly, its the best source for true signal strengths out there.

-Mike

One part having Sprint for a long time, one part rooting for the little guy, one part wanting an HTC One

Ugh, should have taken your word for it.

Tapatalk ate my post. Will edit from a computer in a minute..

EDIT: What I was trying to say (for future readers of this thread) was that I have had some success setting my EVO LTE to "CDMA, LTE" mode on the radio info screen. This forces your phone to ignore EV-DO signals, resulting in more frequent LTE connections, even if the signal is poor. Of course that depends on the coverage in your area.. if the 4G just isn't there, you will be on 1X the entire time.

-Mike

I read it in the notification email. My issue is the further up 495 I get, the more I am on 3g. And once I hit 95 (I work in Newmarket NH, and live in Billerica), it is basically all 3g. The problem ends up being how truly dreadful Sprint 3g is. When I am driving a decent 3g connection is fine for what I do (at most Pandora), but on Sprint the audio is dropping out all over the place

I read it in the notification email. My issue is the further up 495 I get, the more I am on 3g. And once I hit 95 (I work in Newmarket NH, and live in Billerica), it is basically all 3g. The problem ends up being how truly dreadful Sprint 3g is. When I am driving a decent 3g connection is fine for what I do (at most Pandora), but on Sprint the audio is dropping out all over the place

Understood. I've been pleasantly surprised by the 3G speeds lately.. there have obviously been a lot more 3G sites accepted around here at this point, but I agree, if you are stuck in pre-NV 3G areas, you should have held on to Verizon for a bit longer.

I hear what you are saying about Sprint; I have been a customer for over 10 years, and have been very happy with their customer service, devices, and pricing the entire time. The actual cellular service has been acceptable for a majority of my needs, but its certainly not perfect and I benefited from always having good service near my home and work, including LTE very early in its deployment. I understand that I am one of the luckier ones.. its easier for me to be patient as NV rolls out because of that.

I think Sprint still has their 30-day bailout policy, so you should be able to switch back without penalty if you want to. Not sure how that might affect your eligibility for new customer promos in the future though.

-Mike

I have bounced back and forth a lot of the last few years, and it has never negatively impacted me with them. I am going to give it a few days and see if my experience improves. I need more time with the phone to see how I feel about it as well. My prime disappointment though is really that the LTE experience on that stretch of 495 has basically not changed since December, or at least not in a meaningful way, or maybe VZW has just spoiled me.

I have bounced back and forth a lot of the last few years, and it has never negatively impacted me with them. I am going to give it a few days and see if my experience improves. I need more time with the phone to see how I feel about it as well. My prime disappointment though is really that the LTE experience on that stretch of 495 has basically not changed since December, or at least not in a meaningful way, or maybe VZW has just spoiled me.

The market keeps improving but it's a rather large market (the entire state). I would recommend coming back to Sprint when you can get a phone that supports Sprint LTE on old nextel spectrum. That would be in about 9 months or so.

• 2 weeks later...

So today I was on my way to the cape and drove around Westport pretty thoroughly on both sides of 88, went up 6 and caught 195 to go the rest of the way. No LTE at all until I hit about a mile before the checkered water tank on 195 in New Bedford, then had it all the way to the 495 connection (end of my trip)

I managed to map a bunch of new area in Wareham for sensorly, signal was solid all over the place. 4G was strong even in stores at the Wareham shops (Lowes and Target)

Kinda disappointed Westport is still lagging behind. Barely had any real signal while on Gooseberry Island by Horse neck beach (issue for 5 plus years anyway)

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Was at the Natick Mall today.  Didn't get 4G inside the mall, and noticed in the parking garage I had no signal at all (not even Verizon roaming).

I did turn on Sensorly and mapped around the Natick area as I drove around.  Maybe I'll add something to what has already been done.   How long does it take for the updates to appear on their website?

• Like 1