1900 LTE and building penetration?

Hi S4GRU,

I am a longtime lurker but finally decided to register (hello!).

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what building penetration should be like with LTE on 1900... I realize that by basic physics it should be an improvement over WiMax on 2500, but does anyone know any more information beyond that? It was honestly difficult to get WiMax indoors on my NS4G, even though I live about 500 meters from the nearest tower. I find that in general, while WiMax works outdoors fine in my area (Reston VA), it drops about 2/3 of the time I walk indoors.

I have also heard that Verizon's LTE has pretty good building penetration in our area, but I am/was under the impression that theirs is deployed on 700.

TLDR: What kind of LTE availability should we expect indoors with Sprint's LTE on 1900?

2-4 bars in most situations. 1 to 2 megabits down.

Based on that, You should do quite well with 1900 LTE, probably even see a bit of an improvement in signal strength.

I was just going to open a similar thread that was a little bit more general - does LTE comport any increase or decrease in signal propagation vs. CDMA, WiMax and/or GSM/UMTS deployed on the same frequency?

At the end of my contract sprint and clear... I feel like dropping you like a bad habit. Unlimited 4G is useless if I can never have a steady and constant signal to use. Indoors or outdoors. Your spectrum choice sucks sell that and force nextel people off and take the LTE to the 800mhz. Yeah I know I heard myself while typing this. Just sick of 2g speeds everyday.

At the end of my contract sprint and clear... I feel like dropping you like a bad habit. Unlimited 4G is useless if I can never have a steady and constant signal to use. Indoors or outdoors. Your spectrum choice sucks sell that and force nextel people off and take the LTE to the 800mhz. Yeah I know I heard myself while typing this. Just sick of 2g speeds everyday.

Who do you think you are writing this to? We have virtually nothing to do with Sprint. I suggest you go to sprint.com

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

LTE doesn't work well in a noisy environment, 800Mhz picks up noise like crazy. 1900Mhz is a better choice for LTE, 800Mhz LTE and 1xA voice will come but it's only to fill gaps. and increase signal propagation where needed. This will aim to get rid of dead zones and bad indoor voice and data (LTE not evdo) coverage, but 1900Mhz doesn't pick up nearly as much noise and that's why I presume they're using it.

• Like 1

Trust me sprint corporate reads this blog. I know.

Even though Sprint may read our blog and forums, doesn't mean we find complaints to Sprint on our pages a good use of our site.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Excuse my rookie comments here, but after enabling *#73#, it seems that the rainbow sim V2? requires n70 (I turned it off along with n71 - was hoping to track n66) to be available else it switches to T-Mobile.  So this confirms my suspicion that you need to be close to a site to get on Dish.  Have no idea why they don't just use plmn. To test, I put it into a s21 ultra, rebooted twice, came up on T-Mobile (no n70 on s21).  Tried to manually register on 313340, but it did not connect (tried twice). I am on factory unlocked firmware but used a s22 hack to get *#73# working.  Tried what you were suggesting with a T-Mobile sim partially installed, but that was very unstable with Dish ( I think they had figured that one out).  [edit: and now I see Boost sent me a successful device swap notice which says I can now begin to use my new device.  Sigh.  Will try again later and wait for this message - too impatient.]
    • Hopefully this indicates T-Mobile hasn't completely abandoned mmwave and/or small cells? But then again this is the loop, so take that as you will. Hopefully now that most macro activity is done (besides rural colo/builds), they will start working on small cells.   
    • This has been approved.. https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/fcc-approves-t-mobiles-deal-to-purchase-mint-mobile/  
    • In the conference call they had two question on additional spectrum. One was the 800 spectrum. They are not certain what will happen, thus have not really put it into their plans either way (sale or no sale). They do have a reserve level. Nationwide 800Mhz is seen as great for new technologies which I presume is IOT or 5g slices.  T-Mobile did not bite on use of their c-band or DOD.  mmWave rapidly approaching deadlines not mentioned at all. FWA brushes on this as it deals with underutilized spectrum on a sector by sector basis.  They are willing to take more money to allow FWA to be mobile (think RV or camping). Unsure if this represents a higher priority, for example, FWA Mobile in RVs in Walmart parking lots working where mobile phones need all the capacity. In terms of FWA capacity, their offload strategy is fiber through joint ventures where T-Mobile does the marketing, sales, and customer support while the fiber company does the network planning and installation.  50%-50% financial split not being consolidated into their books. I think discussion of other spectrum would have diluted the fiber joint venture discussion. They do have a fund which one use is to purchase new spectrum. Sale of the 800Mhz would go into this. It should be noted that they continue to buy 2.5Ghz spectrum from schools etc to replace leases. They will have a conference this fall  to update their overall strategies. Other notes from the call are 75% of the phones on the network are 5g. About 85% of their sites have n41, n25, and n71, 90% 5g.  93% of traffic is on midband.  SA is also adding to their performance advantage, which they figure is still ahead of other carriers by two years. It took two weeks to put the auction 108 spectrum to use at their existing sites. Mention was also made that their site spacing was designed for midrange thus no gaps in n41 coverage, while competitors was designed for lowband thus toggles back and forth for n77 also with its shorter range.  
    • The manual network selection sounds like it isn't always scanning NR, hence Dish not showing up. Your easiest way to force Dish is going to be forcing the phone into NR-only mode (*#*#4636#*#* menu?), since rainbow sims don't support SA on T-Mobile.