Sprint and VZW spar over LTE network speeds

Going back and forth with Verizon right now is completely pointless, Verizon is in 230+ markets and Sprint LTE hasn't even officially launched its first 6 markets.

Wait until your network is actually rolled out and available to customers before engaging in fights IMO.

That brings up an interesting question.... Take Sprints first 6 markets, now how many markets would Verizon label this as? As you may know, 1 of sprints markets is much larger then one of Verizon's markets.. so if each carrier had 10 "markets" Sprint would have far more coverage.

• Like 2

That brings up an interesting question.... Take Sprints first 6 markets, now how many markets would Verizon label this as? As you may know, 1 of sprints markets is much larger then one of Verizon's markets.. so if each carrier had 10 "markets" Sprint would have far more coverage.

Sure, markets are a somewhat arbitrary internal way of dividing up coverage areas but nobody would argue that Verizon isn't far-ahead of other carriers in terms of LTE deployment.

My main issue is their exorbitant pricing, it is entirely worth it to wait for Sprint.

The odd thing that I have noticed about Verizon press releases/deployment is that while 200 million people seem to live within 230 internally defined markets. They plan to expand to 400 markets by the end of the year, while only bringing an additional 50 million people into their coverage area. I guess this is the year where they're focused on expanding coverage into rural areas and other tertiary markets.

They plan on having LTE across 100% of their coverage footprint by the end of next year, which makes me wonder about when they plan on winding down EVDO.

Sure' date=' markets are a somewhat arbitrary internal way of dividing up coverage areas but nobody would argue that Verizon isn't far-ahead of other carriers in terms of LTE deployment.

My main issue is their exorbitant pricing, it is entirely worth it to wait for Sprint.

The odd thing that I have noticed about Verizon press releases/deployment is that while 200 million people seem to live within 230 internally defined markets. They plan to expand to 400 markets by the end of the year, while only bringing an additional 50 million people into their coverage area. I guess this is the year where they're focused on expanding coverage into rural areas and other tertiary markets.

They plan on having LTE across 100% of their coverage footprint by the end of next year, which makes me wonder about when they plan on winding down EVDO.[/quote']

Until they migrate all their customers over to LTE. EVDO should be around even on Verizon for a few more years. And if Verizon gets the AWS spectrum they want, then EVDO could be shut down as soon as the end of 2014. Roaming on Verizon's 1x & EVDO will remain for a little while longer, but VoLTE would already be in most new phones by then.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

Until they migrate all their customers over to LTE. EVDO should be around even on Verizon for a few more years. And if Verizon gets the AWS spectrum they want, then EVDO could be shut down as soon as the end of 2014. Roaming on Verizon's 1x & EVDO will remain for a little while longer, but VoLTE would already be in most new phones by then.

The only advantage to shutting down the CDMA network would be to free up spectrum for other technologies but seeing as how they are still selling CDMA-only phones, I doubt the network will be shutdown soon. If I had to guess, they would probably shut down the network at least three years after they sell their last CDMA phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

My home line usually maxes out at 5Mbps and there is nothing I can't do with that kind of speed. Therefore, if Sprint (or any carriers) LTE can provide 5mbps, then I will probably never have anything to complain about.

I'm curious...I know Sprint has committed to keeping the EVDO network up for a long while, so I can't see Verizon wanting to shutter their entire EVDO network, maybe reduce the amount of spectrum dedicated to it, but not shut it down completely.

Verizon can't shut down the EVDO network until it can move over 98% of their customers to LTE. Also Verizon as well as all carriers would need to create basic dumbphones with LTE voice because NOT everyone wants data and can't afford to get a smartphone. Until these things can happen for any carrier, no carrier can shut down their 3G network completely.

Verizon can't shut down the EVDO network until it can move over 98% of their customers to LTE. Also Verizon as well as all carriers would need to create basic dumbphones with LTE voice because NOT everyone wants data and can't afford to get a smartphone. Until these things can happen for any carrier, no carrier can shut down their 3G network completely.

Unless they're on Sprint.... or Tmo.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

On a long term basis, they can easily shutdown EVDO Data network and keep their CDMA voice carriers alive indefinitely, those two services aren't mutually exclusive.

They might even determine that CDMA Voice + LTE is the way forward if they determine that VoLTE deployment is problematic.

On a long term basis' date=' they can easily shutdown EVDO Data network and keep their CDMA voice carriers alive indefinitely, those two services aren't mutually exclusive.

They might even determine that CDMA Voice + LTE is the way forward if they determine that VoLTE deployment is problematic.[/quote']

I never thought of that. Good point. But is it really worth it to keep a 2g network up for the long term? I mean in terms of financial costs.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1654429

Anyone seen this? Not sure if it's legit or not but I sure hope so, looks promising.

This is a picture that one of our own members posted in the linked topic: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/844-athens-ga-lte/page__view__findpost__p__17219

So yes, it's legit.

Man, even on XDA, Sprint users don't think there is much hope for Sprint and keeping LTE usable. I really will be happy once people see how much Sprint will be better when NV is done.

• Like 1

I won't say straight-up that 5 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up is the point at which I'd stop caring about speed on a mobile network on a phone. Personally that number would be 10 mbps down, 5 Mbps up (for fast photo sharing and quick video uploads/downloads/streaming). But I'm a power user...I bought T-Mobile's first HSPA+ 42 device in addition to having my Epic...and a T-Mobile HSPA+ 21 device. Oh, and I have a 50/15 cable connection at my apartment (Golden, CO).

I've seen what VZW's 10x10 LTE network can do when lightly loaded; I have an iPad that hits 25-35 Mbps down, 10 mbps up at my apartment now that VZW has a local gateway for their LTE network. That said, speeds go down to half that downtown, at least from what I've measured. T-Mobile doesn't start out as high (10-20 Mbps down, 2.5 or so Mbps up) bu doesn't take nearly the hit that VZW does (VZ's 3G network isn't as zippy here as I've seen elsewhere, but that's probably because I'm not in a town of 10k sixty miles from anywhere other than a Verizon owned local exchange).

Coming back on topic, if Sprint builds their network densely enough (which they can do with 1900 spectrum...Verizon will find it harder with 700), average performance should be comparable, as long as Sprint has enough egress points on the network to allow surfing with decent latency (T-Mobile and now VZW are quite good at this). I'll be headed to Austin late this summer, so I'll be seeing Ericsson's NV rollout there firsthand...hopefully it's zippy enough to let me discontinue my T-Mobile aircard and only use VZW iPad data for regions where Sprint doesn't have LTE yet.

• Like 1