Sprint and VZW spar over LTE network speeds

VZW claims that its 10 MHz x 10 MHz LTE will hit higher peak data speeds than will Sprint's 5 MHz x 5 MHz LTE. And that is almost certainly true. But Sprint astutely responds (as I, too, have long argued) that average data speeds are the far more meaningful metric to end users. And Sprint, with both fewer subs and greater cell site density, should be able to match or exceed VZW's average data speeds.

http://wirelessweek....l-it-will-work/

AJ

• Like 4

No, who *needs* 40 Mbps WWAN data speeds, period?

AJ

• Like 2

Who needs 40meg download speeds when you have a 2GB limit?

AJ

Sometimes that emails just needs to get there 100ms faster...

• Like 1

That is a terrible article.

Verizon markets its LTE networks as having 5-12 Mbps because it knows one day speeds will be congested and actually drop that low. Right now I'd wager the average speeds is much closer to 20-25 Mbps (higher than what they're marketing). I doubt Sprint can say the same once they get a couple users on their network.

Seems that Sprint is being a bit naive.

Why is that article so terrible? I really see nothing wrong with it. And I fully believe what Sprint is saying, that the AVERAGE customer won't be able to tell the difference between a 5mb downlink as opposed to a 20mb peak speed that Verizon can offer currently.

All that article has said is that the overall customer experience will be the same for the average customer, once NV is up and running.

• Like 1

Who needs 40meg download speeds when you have a 2GB limit?

Not me.

I consider any mud that verizon throws at sprint, whether overtly or indirectly, to be flattery at this point. Anything either of the big 2 say or do in response to sprint is acknowledgement that sprint, in fact, is a competitor

• Like 6

not to get into a massive spat and start anything, as I myself am a Sprint customer... verizon have absolutely massacred every carrier in LTE deployment... its popping up everywhere... hell...even the outer banks in NC has verizon LTE as of next week. the speeds are top notch and often well above the 5-12 down that they promised. I think its way too early in the game for this type of discussion. revisit in 2 years. for now ... LTE world heavyweight champion = verizon.

I would be perfectly happy with Sprint at 5mbps...who needs 40mbps on a cell phone, on a Laptop / Tablet its a different story...I'm happy when my iPhone reaches .75 mbps....3-5 on a bad day would make me a happy camper...10-15 on a good day is even better.....

i have 100mbps down with charter cable at my apartment in athens, if it werent so cheap, it would be such a waste... i pay $45 with a bundle. you can never top out the speeds unless its downloading a service pack from microsoft or something.

i have 100mbps down with charter cable at my apartment in athens, if it werent so cheap, it would be such a waste... i pay $45 with a bundle. you can never top out the speeds unless its downloading a service pack from microsoft or something.

That is a good deal in your area. I pay about $45 and receive about 10 Mbps down with no bundle.

A few months after Verizon lit up LTE in Vegas I got a data card and tried out their new LTE network, and the max speeds I ever got on it was 12Mbps. Actually, it was more like a month after they turned it on.

AJ

A carrier who has billions to throw around at marketing

Toss a few billion at "The Carrier that has the FASTEST 4GLTE network"

Toss a few billion at "The Carrier that has the LARGEST 4GLTE network"

Toss a few billion at "The Carrier that has the FASTEST&LARGEST 4GLTE network"

Pointless otherwise.

Yeah Sprint really needs to keep there yapper shut until they can even bring LTE into the real world. The wife and I have Sprint but for her work she has Verizon LTE mifi and the speeds are simply amazing. She averages 35-42 download and it's unlimited. I really wish we would have jumped back last July for the unlimited but the lack of mobile to mobile killed the Verizon port. I am just hoping for 5-7 download from Sprint and that would keep me a happy customer for another 10 years.

If I can get my email/calendar/contacts synced and can stream internet radio at > 64kbps I'm a happy man. I would like websites to appear faster, but that's dependent on so many things: The website server speed, whether there's a CDN, the speed of the backhaul, the speed of the internet backbone, etc.

BTW, when is the Sprint backbone going to 100Gbps? Verizon just announced they are!

A carrier who has billions to throw around at marketing

Toss a few billion at "The Carrier that has the FASTEST 4GLTE network"

Toss a few billion at "The Carrier that has the LARGEST 4GLTE network"

Toss a few billion at "The Carrier that has the FASTEST&LARGEST 4GLTE network"

Pointless otherwise.

Sprint claims they are America's Favorite 4G Network!

I think we heard Sprint's LTE slogan this week:

"Sprint 4G LTE...this dog can hunt!"

:lol:

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

I think with in 5 years Sprint will be the best carrier in the world for LTE. Sprint has about 65 MHz of Spectrum in the top markets and its main partner Clearwire has over 150 MHz. The combination of this spectrum is over double what Verizon or AT&T have. If all the spectrum is used for LTE then download speeds for a single on the network should be about 2 Gbps. This should equivalent to 1 Gbps if not more for a loaded tower.

Going back and forth with Verizon right now is completely pointless, Verizon is in 230+ markets and Sprint LTE hasn't even officially launched its first 6 markets.

Wait until your network is actually rolled out and available to customers before engaging in fights IMO.