Samsung Galaxy S III Launch event

Odell

Im reading engadget and I see all these posts that people are saying that they are not impressed with the SGSIII device and will instead opt to get the One X. I personally don't see a problem with the phone and I think it looks nice. Should be a nice competitor to the One X.

I'm really impressed with some of the things I'm seeing on the live stream. HD front facing camera; outstanding voice recognition capabilities, 4.8 screen. Optional wireless charging pad that doesn't need a special case.

• Like 1

Im reading engadget and I see all these posts that people are saying that they are not impressed with the SGSIII device and will instead opt to get the One X. I personally don't see a problem with the phone and I think it looks nice. Should be a nice competitor to the One X.

I too was feeling a bit underwhelmed by it. Most likely a byproduct of the hype behind the phonemongering marketing. 4.8in screen though!

Considering that LTE variants will be running the Qualcomm MSM8960 (same chip that is in the EVO 4G LTE)... I am not really all that excited.

I suppose if you wanted the EVO 4G LTE but couldn't live without the removable battery - this will be your ticket.

Robert mentioned about a phone hitting the labs on 5/7. If Samsung is saying the SGSIII will hit the US carriers sometime in the June, I wonder if the phone hitting the labs is the SGSIII instead of the Photon Q 4G LTE.

I am hoping one of the phones hitting the labs on 5/7 is the SGSIII or the Photon Q 4G LTE. I just don't know how mature the talks are between Sprint and Motorola about bringing a Photon sequel.

I don't know about chipsets and all that. What I do know is that is a nice looking device. I like the lines and how it looks in the hand The pebble blue is gorgeous. I love the super large screen. I've never used Touch Wiz so I don't know anything about the interface but it looks like it performs well from the video I'm seeing.

I watched the live event, but almost feel asleep. They should try to find someone who speaks english as his/hers first language for a english presentation. I was left a little indiffrent about the phone. Didn't really sway me one way or the other in chosing the evo 4g lte, or the SGSIII. Not really intrested in talking to my phone, the camera app is very close to that of the evo 4g lte, and the pentile display was sort of a turn off. Nothing to really sway me in favor of the SGSIII. I think the evo 4g lte will be my next phone.

Did like the wireless charging option.

Considering that LTE variants will be running the Qualcomm MSM8960 (same chip that is in the EVO 4G LTE)... I am not really all that excited.

I suppose if you wanted the EVO 4G LTE but couldn't live without the removable battery - this will be your ticket.

Was this confirmed? All I have seen is quad core in all the releases.

According to anandtech.com (which is extremely accurate).

http://www.anandtech...nching-globally

It makes sense - check out the article. No stand-alone 28nm radio yet, must use the S4 SoC.

It's just like how Samsung slapped the Snapdragon in T-Mob's GS2 instead of the more powerful Exynos to support T-Mob's HSPA+ 42 network.

According to anandtech.com (which is extremely accurate).

http://www.anandtech...nching-globally

It makes sense - check out the article. No stand-alone 28nm radio yet, must use the S4 SoC.

It's just like how Samsung slapped the Snapdragon in T-Mob's GS2 instead of the more powerful Exynos to support T-Mob's HSPA+ 42 network.

Here is the quote in that article:

Like the Galaxy S II devices, LTE is limited to devices running Qualcomm SoC's, so US variants on Verizon, AT&T and Sprint will likely be sporting our latest favorite SoC, the Snapdragon S4.

It is still speculation at this point. I'll hold my disappointment until it is confirmed.

Qualcomm needs to stop hogging all the LTE capability...

Which phone are you leaning towards? EVO 4G LTE or GS3?

The better camera (with dedicated camera button!), kickstand, and the display that is getting absolutely rave reviews has swayed me towards the EVO 4G LTE. The non-removable batter is a little bit of a bummer... but I rarely take the battery out nowadays. With OG EVO I would travel with a few spares... but that's not the case anymore.

The Pentile display ont he GNEX doesnt bother me... but I'd really like to check out all the buzz is about on HTC's new displays. Supposedly they are "the best".

I suppose if you were really in a pinch you could just use a portable USB charger (they are cheap).

Leave it to you guys to try to precipitate on my parade. I don't care what you techy types say. I am liking what I'm seeing so far. My Gadget Wood is rarely wrong. Ok, maybe not rarely but most of the time it's spot on. Mostly...

It is still speculation at this point. I'll hold my disappointment until it is confirmed.

Well, samsung actually makes their own LTE chip (it's in the GNEX). I don't know why samsung can't move that process down to 32nm or just integrate it into their Exynos quadcore SoC.

Qualcomm is just killing it lately.

Leave it to you guys to try to precipitate on my parade. I don't care what you techy types say. I am liking what I'm seeing so far. My Gadget Wood is rarely wrong. Ok, maybe not rarely but most of the time it's spot on. Mostly...

Haha. It looks ok don't get me wrong... but it is VERY similar looking to the new HTC One series.

I don't see all the excitement. The quad core is nice... but dual core SoCs are now fast enough to surf the web smoothly now. I bet the phone is blazing fast but it is still A9 based, not A15.

A15 and Intel are the game changers.

Battery life should continue to improve.

Which phone are you leaning towards? EVO 4G LTE or GS3?

The better camera (with dedicated camera button!), kickstand, and the display that is getting absolutely rave reviews has swayed me towards the EVO 4G LTE. The non-removable batter is a little bit of a bummer... but I rarely take the battery out nowadays. With OG EVO I would travel with a few spares... but that's not the case anymore.

The Pentile display ont he GNEX doesnt bother me... but I'd really like to check out all the buzz is about on HTC's new displays. Supposedly they are "the best".

I suppose if you were really in a pinch you could just use a portable USB charger (they are cheap).

Samsung has really won me over the last year, so they would have to have some MAJOR steps backward to lose me.

I thought the HTC One camera was getting bad reviews?

I would have to compare displays to be sure, but I read that dark colors don't do so well in the HTC display. GNex is all I am familiar with and compared to the E4GT, the GNex display wins, pentile screen and all.

I would say "extremely likely" they have a stellar trackrecord at anandtech.

More fuel for the fire:

http://www.androidguys.com/2012/05/02/verizons-galaxy-s-iii-user-agent-profile-confirms-snapdragon-s4-chipset/

Samsung has really won me over the last year, so they would have to have some MAJOR steps backward to lose me.

I thought the HTC One camera was getting bad reviews?

I would have to compare displays to be sure, but I read that dark colors don't do so well in the HTC display. GNex is all I am familiar with and compared to the E4GT, the GNex display wins, pentile screen and all.

Where were you reading bad reviews on the camera?

Dark colors on Sammy's Super AMOLED are absolutely black because there is no backlight like on a traditional LCD. That being said, for blacks, the HTC does very well.

HTC hasn't had me this excited in a while. It sounds like samsung sort of left the 8MP camera from the GS2 alone and just tossed it into the GS3. There was zero mention of camera improvements - which is scary.

Objective camera review:

http://www.anandtech...or-att-review/5

Then there's the camera. Once again, HTC is able to deliver one of the best if not the best smartphone camera with the One X. Low light performance in particularly impressive. The new Sense camera UI is a great match for the hardware as well. The ability to take photos while recording a video without a costly mode switch is both innovative and incredibly useful.

Objective screen analysis:

http://www.anandtech...or-att-review/6

The 720p Infinity Screen has the best contrast ratio of any smartphone we've tested, and is among the brightest we've used as well. There's no PenTile to worry about, it's simply one of the best displays if not the best we've reviewed in a phone.

As for touchwizzzzz vs. sense - I prefer sense, but that's just user preference.

I still can't get over how similar the GS3 and the One look.

At any rate - this time around I will be using the HTC EVO 4G LTE unless Moto pulls a magic trick out of its hat.

• Like 2

Where were you reading bad reviews on the camera?

Dark colors on Sammy's Super AMOLED are absolutely black because there is no backlight like on a traditional LCD. That being said, for blacks, the HTC does very well.

HTC hasn't had me this excited in a while. It sounds like samsung sort of left the 8MP camera from the GS2 alone and just tossed it into the GS3. There was zero mention of camera improvements - which is scary.

Objective camera review:

http://www.anandtech...or-att-review/5

Then there's the camera. Once again, HTC is able to deliver one of the best if not the best smartphone camera with the One X. Low light performance in particularly impressive. The new Sense camera UI is a great match for the hardware as well. The ability to take photos while recording a video without a costly mode switch is both innovative and incredibly useful.

Objective screen analysis:

http://www.anandtech...or-att-review/6

The 720p Infinity Screen has the best contrast ratio of any smartphone we've tested, and is among the brightest we've used as well. There's no PenTile to worry about, it's simply one of the best displays if not the best we've reviewed in a phone.

As for touchwizzzzz vs. sense - I prefer sense, but that's just user preference.

I still can't get over how similar the GS3 and the One look.

At any rate - this time around I will be using the HTC EVO 4G LTE unless Moto pulls a magic trick out of its hat.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Camera-comparison-One-X-vs-Galaxy-S-II-vs-Nexus-vs-N8-vs-iPhone-4S_id3006/

Ah, so that's what loyalty feels like :)

I love jumping around from phone to phone.

I am only loyal to Sprint, heh.