Network Vision/LTE - South Texas Market (Corpus Christi/Laredo/Rio Grande Valley)

bluemustangjosh

I was just in the city of La Villa and it looks like one of the LTE towers is live. Hopefully other towers start coming live soon.
In order to see what sites are live and to share with others you may want to use the Sensorly app to have it map your route. Thanks for the info

The new sites near Harlingen were posted to the NV Sites Complete map last night. LTE work is progressing in the RGV.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Where was this taken?

I just ran a test and this is what i get in laredo (off peak hours):

Download: 1.29 mbps

Upload: 0.67 mbps

Ping: 195 ms

sucks that iphones don't tell you the network type, but i know we're running on EVDO REV:A8

It was in Corpus Christi

Is it safe to assume that Corpus could be seeing upgrades after RGV is complete?

Nope. The news is much better than that. Work has started all over the South Texas market, including CC. There will be live LTE sites in your area long before the RGV is complete.

Nope. The news is much better than that. Work has started all over the South Texas market, including CC. There will be live LTE sites in your area long before the RGV is complete.

It's awesome that the RGV is getting 4G pretty soon, but so far we haven't heard a bleep about the work in Laredo TX. Is Laredo part of this deployment, or is this just in the Mission, McAllen, CC, Harlingen, Edingburg, etc area?

It's getting harder to not look at other providers, when even Cricket Wireless has 4g LTE here and we don't :/

Yes, I'm asking as to the specific frequency range for the LTE. We already have 734-744 MHz and 746-756 MHz being utilized by ATT and Verizon in the CC area. It can be viewed and measured by anyone with an antenna and spectrum analyzer.

Yes, I'm asking as to the specific frequency range for the LTE. We already have 734-744 MHz and 746-756 MHz being utilized by ATT and Verizon in the CC area. It can be viewed and measured by anyone with an antenna and spectrum analyzer.

G Block 1900 PCS. I don't know the specific frequency off the top of my head, that's AJ's field.

PCS G block downlink is 1990-1995 MHz. You can find spectrum analyzer sweeps in several of my articles on The Wall.

AJ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

So this is my first post. first and foremost I've been on here a couple of times. I gotta say I like the community here. the interaction between mod and sight members is amazing. Everyone seems helpful, respectful and...well..transparent I guess. So, glad to be here.

been following this thread and I am impressed with the things I've seen ( I never knew that towers dont operate like radio towes, i.e. distance) However, I do have a few questions maybe you all can help out with.

1. I've seen recently on this forum that the NV is nowing rolling out in corpus and the rest of the south market. I am sure people are working around the the market. I was wondering if anyone has a guestimate of what months LTE might be lighting up. I think I read that not all is LTE and some might just be some updating 3g so I am hoping we are going to roll out the LTE.

2. I am kind of confused on the NV thing. I've read that it may take longer because sprint is updating some other things. So I wonder, are they basically gutting thier network and putting in all new hardware to support a new 3g and lte...or are they just building on what 3g we have and throwing in LTE.

I really hate the speeds I have. they are horrible. it is embarrasing when I am trying to pull up something for someone and it's just loading..and loading...and loading. I am hoping they update all thier hardware (even though it may take longer) so I can finally have comprable speeds to other carriers and unlimited data. Plus I prefet sprint as a company and what they stand for or at least try to.

3. I used to have an evo 4g. will lte work the same way? will I have to toggle it on to work? I remeber I used to like 4g on my evo, but man that ate through battery. Since I don't have LTE yet, I am unsure who it kicks in or works. can anyone give me a heads up.

so, hopefully someone can help me out with a few of these questions :)

Edited by LM1213

First of all, :welc:

Thanks for posting, you'll find tons of great information all throughout this site!

1. I've seen recently on this forum that the NV is now rolling out in corpus and the rest of the south market. I am sure people are working around the the market. I was wondering if anyone has a guesstimate of what months LTE might be lighting up. I think I read that not all is LTE and some might just be some updating 3g so I am hoping we are going to roll out the LTE.

LTE is rolling out right now all across the South Texas Market, including Corpus Christi! In fact, the first tower in your area just went live with LTE a bit west of Corpus, just north of Alice.

Unlike other carriers, Sprint is releasing each tower as it is upgraded, so the LTE coverage will start out as islands, and then fill in over time, rather than covering the whole area all at once like AT&T and Verizon Sprint just isn't waiting for all the towers to be complete before they allow you access to the network.

2. I am kind of confused on the NV thing. I've read that it may take longer because sprint is updating some other things. So I wonder, are they basically gutting their network and putting in all new hardware to support a new 3g and lte...or are they just building on what 3g we have and throwing in LTE.

I really hate the speeds I have. they are horrible. it is embarrassing when I am trying to pull up something for someone and it's just loading..and loading...and loading. I am hoping they update all their hardware (even though it may take longer) so I can finally have comparable speeds to other carriers and unlimited data. Plus I prefer sprint as a company and what they stand for or at least try to.

I'm not entirely sure what the first part of your question is, but here it goes.

Sprint is totally revamping their network. They are replacing everything at every site. The base stations, the backhaul (internet connection) and the panels. This means that when they are done, it will basically be a whole new network. The new panels they are installing are capable of broadcasting multiple frequencies, so from one panel you will have: PCS 1900 1xRTT (voice) EVDO (data) and LTE, plus 800 SMR 1xRTT which will enhance the range and building penetration of each tower.

3. I used to have an evo 4g. will lte work the same way? will I have to toggle it on to work? I remember I used to like 4g on my evo, but man that ate through battery. Since I don't have LTE yet, I am unsure who it kicks in or works. can anyone give me a heads up.

It will not be the same as your OG EVO 4G. With LTE, it is near the same frequency as 3G, so even though two antennas are used, only one chip is needed. Whereas WiMax devices used a separate chip, along with a separate radio for 3G and 4G. With my EVO LTE, GSIII, and HTC ONE, there is no noticeable battery drain if I leave LTE on all the time, whether or not I am in an area covered by LTE.

Hope that helps. Any more questions, feel free to ask!

If you want you might take a few moments to look over our FAQs: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1704-frequently-asked-questions/

And consider becoming a sponsor to get access to even cooler data! http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

awesome. thanks for the answers. those are exactly the things I wanted to know about. Again, I really like the community here...ya know. think I'll stay awhile ;)

• Like 1

Nice!

Quick update:

Laredo is now live with eHRPD :D ...don't know how far behind I am on this, but about 2 months ago I know that we were still on EVDO Rev A. :tu:

LM1213 you can also look at http://sensorly.com/ to see how LTE is looking in your area. You can download the app and map out your area. Just checked it an it looks like there is some LTE around the Padre Behavioral Hospital.

What do you know! A site is live in town. Not often that Sensorly beats Roberts reports.

What do you know! A site is live in town. Not often that Sensorly beats Roberts reports.

I just checked again and its not accepted. Must be testing. Pretty cool when people can find them early.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk