Will sprint release a new airave that support LTE

It seems like a stretch until one realizes that Comcast has actually dropped subscribers for having open WiFi nodes... Yes, it is rare, but certainly not unheard of... Most cable companies can be (and are) a genuine PITA...

Sent from Photon Q LTE - Tapatalk

• Like 1

It seems like a stretch until one realizes that Comcast has actually dropped subscribers for having open WiFi nodes... Yes, it is rare, but certainly not unheard of... Most cable companies can be (and are) a genuine PITA... Sent from Photon Q LTE - Tapatalk

You wouldn't have an open wifi node though. You'd have an open EVDO node that is VPN tunneled back to Sprint server and originates with a Sprint owned IP from the phone data. They'd have a fun time figuring that one out and is really not worth their time. Like as in, it's not going to happen, so let it eat.

Wifi access points are cheap, no need for an Airave to have LTE.

Sent from my EVO sometimes-LTE

wifi is cheap but configuring wifi for proper security in things such as HIPAA or other kinds of privacy issues it is not as simple as just throwing up wifi and going.

wifi is cheap but configuring wifi for proper security in things such as HIPAA or other kinds of privacy issues it is not as simple as just throwing up wifi and going.

WPA2 AES, custom SSID, and a decent length/strength password (not in dictionary) is very simple. Literally minutes...

I am not a networking guru, so others can feel free to poke holes in this plan. But I would be happy to see a carrier, preferably Sprint, provide unencrypted Wi-Fi VPN capability built into its handsets. Tunnel all Wi-Fi traffic through a Sprint VPN backend so that subs could use any available Wi-Fi access points with little fear of compromised security.

AJ

• Like 1

WPA2 AES, custom SSID, and a decent length/strength password (not in dictionary) is very simple. Literally minutes...

no it's not..go read the regulations... :) I spend many hours doing this work....there's much more to it than jsut that.

WPA2 w/AES and a custom SSID is the bare minimum I would set up for someone. I usually also set up MAC filtering, and block broadcasting the SSID, also, and even those three combined are still questionable for HIPAA compliance. :(

The biggest problem is possibly 'sniffing' what's going by...

I have this same unit and get the same issues with multiple texts going out. I also notice that the GPS often drops the signal and takes forever and a day to reconnect, making it useless during that time. It's very frustrating and I'm certainly also hoping the NV upgrades will improve my connections at home, either directly or via this Airvana unit.

If GPS drops, then you definitely need to move to using the external antenna (provided with the device)...or move the existing external antenna to a better spot. I've had an Airave since the samsung version...and I've only ever had problems when GPS was too weak. Once I found a spot where GPS was picking up about 18-21 satellites, I've never had it drop GPS again...3 years ago was the last time it happened.

You mean, like uh....a fart?

no it's not..go read the regulations... :) I spend many hours doing this work....there's much more to it than jsut that.

As do I. We are talking about a home here though. No RADIUS server or auth portal.

WPA2 w/AES and a custom SSID is the bare minimum I would set up for someone. I usually also set up MAC filtering, and block broadcasting the SSID, also, and even those three combined are still questionable for HIPAA compliance. :(

MAC filtering is absolutely useless, not even worth the time it takes to load the router MAC filtering page. Hidden SSID is also another myth and useless.

One I forgot, you also need to turn off WPS.

I'd love to see one of you sit outside my home and crack my WPA2 key. I'll even bring you coffee and let you grab a little 120VAC.

I am not a networking guru, so others can feel free to poke holes in this plan. But I would be happy to see a carrier, preferably Sprint, provide unencrypted Wi-Fi VPN capability built into its handsets. Tunnel all Wi-Fi traffic through a Sprint VPN backend so that subs could use any available Wi-Fi access points with little fear of compromised security.

AJ

I don't see an issue with it. This is exactly what I do. I refuse to use an open wi-fi AP without connecting to my VPN at my home. Even my wife does the same thing now once I explained the issue to her in layman's terms. Now of course my traffic is not encrypted once it hits the VPN goes back out to my ISP, but whatever my tinfoil hat is in the closet.

Another little tid bit people don't know is turn off wifi when you are not using it otherwise you could connect to an access point that is really not the one you wanted as there could be a geek around with an AP spoofing any discovery packets.

While I agree that non-broadcast SSIDs and MAC filtering are all but useless against a concerted attack, they do help keep the more "casual" out of one's hair. :)

Offhand, though, I suspect that the biggest threat to any well protected network is not cracking any codes or passwords, but simply "finding" a "lost" device. I say this because it seems that most folks have a tendency to have their devices remember passwords, access codes, network names, folder and file names, and often that means anyone having physical access to a misplaced or even temporarily out-of-sight portable device has easy access to the network.

In fact, the more complex and difficult to remember or type a password/passphrase is, the more likely it is to be stored in a portable device or written down. :(

The "at least eight characters, with at least one lower case, one upper case, one numeric, and one symbol, changed at least every thirty days, not to be re-used for at least a year" demands by IT people almost guarantee written down or stored passwords. :o)

(Back at Bell Labs some of our systems had those kinds of rules from IT, and for those, if you wanted in, you just wandered around until you saw a note or scribble near a terminal that said something like th!sSucks4 and you knew you could get in.) ;)

Aside: Combination door locks, pushbutton or rotary. We had those in the military and at the phone company. If you wanted in and didn't know the code, you took out your penlight and looked within about a three foot radius of the lock for tiny numbers written in pencil on the edge of a doorframe, under a switchbox or any projection or ledge on the building. That was this week's number. As an engineer I often went to sites I'd never been to before and more often than not surprised the folks working there by letting myself in... :ninja:

Thank goodness these days I have nothing really worth worrying about, and my internal passcode making protocol works very well at manufacturing even "required change" passwords/passcodes that make no sense, but that I can reconstruct on demand rather than remembering or reusing.

Er, oops. Back on topic, Tom!

Personally I don't see that much of a need for an LTE capable Airave so long as the portable devices have WiFi capabilities. Femtocells for PUBLIC use, however, could use LTE capabilities to great advantage.

AJ

That would be a pretty neat setup. It would take rather expensive VPN concentrator equipment throughout their network to handle all of the VPN tunnels, though. :(

Have we just discovered the reason for eHRPD showing up everywhere?

I can tell you that not all towers will have it just towers where there is going to be LTE. Where there is roaming agrrements most likely will not have eHRPD.

Wifi access points are cheap, no need for an Airave to have LTE.

It's not about price but about security. There are places where I can not get free wifi becuase a hacker envaded their public wifi and installed credit card keyloggers into their systems. From what I know about the Airave will be pipeing your data through sprint and not the wifi hub's network.

It's not about price but about security. There are places where I can not get free wifi becuase a hacker envaded their public wifi and installed credit card keyloggers into their systems. From what I know about the Airave will be pipeing your data through sprint and not the wifi hub's network.

OpenVPN is your friend ;)

• 4 months later...

I think the real crux of the issue here is why does a Sprint customer have to supply their own internet connection, share it with nearby sprint users in order to have a signal that is usable? Before Sprint gave me their Airave 2.5, I called and bitched about the signal quality at my apartment complex and mentioned that other Sprint subscribers were having the same issues with dropped calls, failed calls, delayed text messages, etc. They then proceeded to look at their "BIG BOARD" and tell me there were no signal issues in my area. Other posters have mentioned valid concerns about terms of use violations with ISPs. Besides, why should we have to shell out $ for an internet connection when Sprint charges the types of fees that they do? They should have plenty of operating capital for network improvements and modifications without resorting to this ridiculous jury-rigging to remedy the problem.

• Like 1

Just about every provider has this tool available to help customers. Every cell provider can not provide cell coverage to every single square inch of every building in a city. Some providers do it better than others and it varies by area. If you don't like this "jury-rigging" then I would suggest switching to a provider that has better coverage indoors at your home. 800SMR will help with this issue in the near future though.

• Like 2

Just about every provider has this tool available to help customers. Every cell provider can not provide cell coverage to every single square inch of every building in a city. Some providers do it better than others and it varies by area. If you don't like this "jury-rigging" then I would suggest switching to a provider that has better coverage indoors at your home. 800SMR will help with this issue in the near future though.

Were talking about a downtown area in a major suburban city, and not indoors only but outside extending several blocks. You sound like a Sprint employee to me.

Were talking about a downtown area in a major suburban city, and not indoors only but outside extending several blocks.

I will put it in blunt terms. No carrier guarantees indoor coverage. Be thankful that Sprint has the Airave option to address indoor coverage if that is a problem for you.

Additionally, all carriers have areas of weak coverage that they may not be able or willing to improve. If you are dissatisfied with native coverage in the area(s) where you use your service the most, then you should find a different carrier that better suits your coverage needs. Plain and simple.

You sound like a Sprint employee to me.

No, digiblur most definitely does not work for Sprint, but he is one of our most knowledgeable members and an adjunct moderator. You need to take a more respectful tone.

AJ

• Like 4

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers

You did not "ruffle so many feathers" so much as you broke the rules.

http://s4gru.com/ind...-aka-the-rulez/

This is a Sprint Network Vision discussion board, not a Sprint complaint board. And your posts in this thread have been borderline rants.

AJ

But I thought this was a forum. Not a diatribe.

This is a forum, but it has rules to address and hopefully prevent problems that are known to crop up. Please read the rules.

As for a "diatribe," your first post in this thread fits the bill.

AJ