Current phone compatibility with future network

LOL' date=' I came back to correct myself and you beat me to it.

Edit: I believe I remember 2Ringsbr saying that they primarily use 850mhz for EVDO and only use 1900mhz in markets where they lack 850 spectrum. Of course, I can't find the post.[/quote']

They have 1x and EVDO on both 850 and 1900 here. But that's because of the Alltel buyout.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Ok good to know. So do you guys suggest I wait it out with Sprint then?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

It depends on your needs and the market you are in.

It depends on your needs and the market you are in.

I'm in the Orlando market. Winter Haven, FL.

I'm in the Orlando market. Winter Haven' date=' FL.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

Since you are in a relatively early NV market, I would definitely ride it out with Sprint. And since you are in a Non-WiMax area, probably not much harm for you to upgrade to a LTE device.

Since you are in a relatively early NV market, I would definitely ride it out with Sprint. And since you are in a Non-WiMax area, probably not much harm for you to upgrade to a LTE device.

So being in a non wiimax area, you think I'm more LTE prone? Oh yes I definetly plan on getting an LTE device, maybe sgs3. If LTE comes here soon after. But I really need better service inside buildings. That's my main concern. As long as that's better along with NV and LTE I'm good to go!

So being in a non wiimax area' date=' you think I'm more LTE prone? Oh yes I definetly plan on getting an LTE device, maybe sgs3. If LTE comes here soon after. But I really need better service inside buildings. That's my main concern. As long as that's better along with NV and LTE I'm good to go!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

My comment about being in a Non WiMax area was more about how you can an upgrade to a LTE device at anytime and not be giving up WiMax connectivity, because you currently don't have any now.

Why not put TDD-LTE on 800? Isn't that going to be what Clear uses in 2013?

You can't. The FCC has broken down 800 into uplink and downlink sections. TDD would require FCC approval and then larger guard bands would be needed so as to not interfere with adjacent usage. This would waste spectrum and not really feasible and would have no discernable benefit.

Clearwire TD-LTE is already being designed to seamlessly handoff to Sprint FD-LTE. So no issues there.

My comment about being in a Non WiMax area was more about how you can an upgrade to a LTE device at anytime and not be giving up WiMax connectivity, because you currently don't have any now.

Ohh ok gotcha! Well guess I'll see what happens. Vzw is tempting lol

You can't. The FCC has broken down 800 into uplink and downlink sections. TDD would require FCC approval and then larger guard bands would be needed so as to not interfere with adjacent usage. This would waste spectrum and not really feasible and would have no discernable benefit.

Clearwire TD-LTE is already being designed to seamlessly handoff to Sprint FD-LTE. So no issues there.

I'm curious how they have figured out how to make handoff seamless with TD vs. FD LTE. It would be nice to see an article explaining it in detail.

Edit: I believe I remember 2Ringsbr saying that they primarily use 850mhz for EVDO and only use 1900mhz in markets where they lack 850 spectrum. Of course, I can't find the post.

You not only misspelled 4ringsnbr's screen name but also shortchanged his number by half. But that is okay, as 4rings deserves only half credit for that answer about VZW Cellular 850 MHz primacy. It is a generalization that does not really hold true across multiple markets.

4rings lives in a market where VZW originally was PCS 1900 MHz only, then acquired a Cellular 850 MHz license through the Alltel buyout. So, that, in and of itself, is a bit wonky.

My market, Kansas City, is a more typical VZW market. VZW originally was Cellular 850 MHz only but acquired a PCS 1900 MHz license about a decade ago. When VZW initially deployed EV-DO, it was EV-DO 1900 only. In most VZW markets like KC, that was the standard -- CDMA1X 850 + EV-DO 1900. In fact, many markets where VZW held no PCS 1900 MHz spectrum, such as Wichita, were late to EV-DO deployment, as VZW rarely deployed EV-DO 850.

In more recent years, however, the AMPS sunset and the deployment of additional carriers has enabled VZW to add some EV-DO 850. In KC, for example, EV-DO is now a mix of EV-DO 1900 and EV-DO 850.

AJ

• Like 1

I'm curious how they have figured out how to make handoff seamless with TD vs. FD LTE.

My take: Clearwire TDD to Sprint FDD handoffs will not be seamless and will not need to be seamless. In the beginning, both will carry just data, which does not require a consistent, isochronous connection. Even with the eventual adoption of VoLTE, only Sprint LTE will carry voice; I expect Clearwire TD-LTE to remain data only.

AJ

You not only misspelled 4ringsnbr's screen name but also shortchanged his number by half. But that is okay, as 4rings deserves only half credit for that answer about VZW Cellular 850 MHz primacy. It is a generalization that does not really hold true across multiple markets.

4rings lives in a market where VZW originally was PCS 1900 MHz only, then acquired a Cellular 850 MHz license through the Alltel buyout. So, that, in and of itself, is a bit wonky.

My market, Kansas City, is a more typical VZW market. VZW originally was Cellular 850 MHz only but acquired a PCS 1900 MHz license about a decade ago. When VZW initially deployed EV-DO, it was EV-DO 1900 only. In most VZW markets like KC, that was the standard -- CDMA1X 850 + EV-DO 1900. In fact, many markets where VZW held no PCS 1900 MHz spectrum, such as Wichita, were late to EV-DO deployment, as VZW rarely deployed EV-DO 850.

In more recent years, however, the AMPS sunset and the deployment of additional carriers has enabled VZW to add some EV-DO 850. In KC, for example, EV-DO is now a mix of EV-DO 1900 and EV-DO 850.

AJ

I think I need to be checked for alzheimers... misspelled and cut the number in half :mad2: memory is not serving me well today. I did run out of Kona coffee though. Folgers doesn't cut the mustard.

Really? I didn't know that...makes for an interesting conversation.

AJ

Interesting, I think the same holds true for my market here. Though I'd love to get a history lesson from someone much more knowledgeable than myself.

I think I need to be checked for alzheimers... misspelled and cut the number in half :mad2: memory is not serving me well today. I did run out of Kona coffee though. Folgers doesn't cut the mustard.

Someone get this man his Kona coffee! And it's not alzheimers, it was just your caffeine withdrawals. :lol:

• Like 2

So I'm thinking about switching from Verizon to Sprint. I am in the Denver Colorado market, so we have not been announced for any LTE in the near future. I will be out of my verizon contract on May 16th, and am trying to decide on phones. I'm kinda wondering if it may be better to get a Wimax phone since it doesn't look like we will be getting LTE soon. The maps show that the WIMAx is pretty good in the Denver area. Is there anybody on here that lives in Denver and can comment on Wimax coverage? I'm new to the whole smartphone thing. This will be my first and want to enjoy it. If I do get a Wimax phone should I get a galaxy 2 or a photon or a HTC EVO. If people think I should go LTE phone I'll probably wait for the EVO LTE or the Galaxy 3.

So I'm thinking about switching from Verizon to Sprint. I am in the Denver Colorado market, so we have not been announced for any LTE in the near future. I will be out of my verizon contract on May 16th, and am trying to decide on phones. I'm kinda wondering if it may be better to get a Wimax phone since it doesn't look like we will be getting LTE soon. The maps show that the WIMAx is pretty good in the Denver area. Is there anybody on here that lives in Denver and can comment on Wimax coverage? I'm new to the whole smartphone thing. This will be my first and want to enjoy it. If I do get a Wimax phone should I get a galaxy 2 or a photon or a HTC EVO. If people think I should go LTE phone I'll probably wait for the EVO LTE or the Galaxy 3.

WiMAX coverage is horrible. I'm in Houston which was one of the first WiMAX cities, and for the most part I left WiMAX off when I had the evo and the photon. It's only decent if you're stationary, when driving around it would always disconnect and take timei to reconnect.

Depends on how you would use it. If you do lots of streaming of audio and/or video in a car or commuter rail, I would not recommend WiMax. WiMax hand off between sites is very poor.

So if you are staying on 3G anyway, you should go with a LTE device. However, if you would only largely use WiMax in stationary situations, then it may be OK for you.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Depends on how you would use it. If you do lots of streaming of audio and/or video in a car or commuter rail, I would not recommend WiMax. WiMax hand off between sites is very poor.

So if you are staying on 3G anyway, you should go with a LTE device. However, if you would only largely use WiMax in stationary situations, then it may be OK for you.

Question: By handoff do you mean the ability to say continue a youtube video between towers? I was under the impression that WiMax did not do this.. ever. I've never been able to stream content from WiMax tower to WiMax tower OR from WiMax tower to 3g tower. I think the fact that I am surprised this is even able to be done between WiMax towers is testament to the horribleness of Sprint's current "4g" network.

Question: By handoff do you mean the ability to say continue a youtube video between towers? I was under the impression that WiMax did not do this.. ever. I've never been able to stream content from WiMax tower to WiMax tower OR from WiMax tower to 3g tower. I think the fact that I am surprised this is even able to be done between WiMax towers is testament to the horribleness of Sprint's current "4g" network.

I've heard people say never. But I have been able to do it occasionally in places where there is solid overlapping coverage a few times. The biggest problems with the WiMax network is that there are so many coverage holes and shadows with 2600 spectrum. And WiMax devices by default have a horrible 3 minute rescan set up and -85dBm signal threshold. I believe the resan can be lowered on most devices if you know how to set it up. Mine is set to 5 seconds. And I raise my WiMax signal threshold to the maximum. -110dBm.

So, if during a WiMax to WiMax hand off, there is the slightest glitch, it drops you and waits 3 minutes to rescan. However, in my device, if there is a problem handing off, it rescans in 5 seconds. And since my signal threshold is higher, Im more likely to have overlapping WiMax signal.

A fast reconnect may be able to keep streaming going, depending on what you are doing and how far buffered ahead you are.

However, the bigger issue isn't WiMax to WiMax hand offs, but rather WiMax to EVDO. At the edge of a WiMax cell you are much more likely to get shunted to EVDO than WiMax. And you will not be able to continue streaming through that.

Because of the weakness of the 2600 signal at the edge, its just really hard to do WiMax to WiMax. Most handoffs are WiMax to EVDO to WiMax.

The LTE network will be better in this regard because eHRPD will be there to help provide seamless transfers between LTE and EVDO.

• Like 2

avb

So basically you are saying that I might as well get a LTE pnone and hope it comes here faster than it looks like it will.

Yes go with a LTE phone. No point of getting a Wimax phone with its limited Wimax footprint. I don't advise anyone to get a Wimax phone even if they aren't going to get LTE for another year. Keep in mind that when we sign on the dotted line, we are locked into a 2 year contract and not to mention that all the Wimax phones are from 2011 specs which have horrible battery life.

Get a LTE phone like the EVO 4G LTE, Galaxy Nexus, upcoming SGSIII, or the upcoming Photon 4G LTE phone to be future proof.

• 2 weeks later...

So with NV and the 800mhz band, we won't see better data building penetration until LTE? From what I'm reading we'll only benefit from 1x... to me that doesn't sound so good for "better data" but I could be wrong as I'm no expert on networks etc... speeds of .2 - .5 are just absurd and basically not useable.