Current phone compatibility with future network

Hi all,

So my question is this: Why would anyone buy a current phone when it won't support the full list of bands that Sprint plans to use in the future? Could someone clarify for me?

Future Sprint bands:

800 Mhz (IDEN) to be switched over to LTE

1900 Mhz (LTE currently being deployed)

2600 Mhz (Clearwire LTE?)

If I read correctly current phone offerings only support the 1900 Mhz band and not the 800 Mhz LTE nor the Clearwire bands.

Also, I currently own an EVO3D which has 3g support for the 800 Mhz band. How will network vision affect me? Will I be able to use 3g on the 800 mhz band or will it be LTE only?

A little confused.

My understanding is that CDMA1X will be on 800Mhz and LTE on 1900 ultimately. Correct me if I'm wrong. if you have a current phone you should not have any issue for many years to come.

Hi all,

So my question is this: Why would anyone buy a current phone when it won't support the full list of bands that Sprint plans to use in the future? Could someone clarify for me?

Future Sprint bands:

If I read correctly current phone offerings only support the 1900 Mhz band and not the 800 Mhz LTE nor the Clearwire bands.

Also, I currently own an EVO3D which has 3g support for the 800 Mhz band. How will network vision affect me? Will I be able to use 3g on the 800 mhz band or will it be LTE only?

A little confused.

Most people upgrade their phones every 22 months, so any device sold that supports LTE will work fine with the existing and upgrade networks.

Your EVO3D will work great with Network Vision, and you'll see enhanced 3G speeds and slightly better coverage as well. When you upgrade your phone this year or next year, you'll get a device which will access the LTE network for 4G, and still enjoy the enhanced 3G.

You won't get LTE access on your 3VO ever.

And to add, LTE on a future 800mhz band will provide enhanced inbuilding and capacity coverage. If you have a solid 3G signal now, you'll get a solid LTE signal with a new device as well.

Most people upgrade their phones every 22 months, so any device sold that supports LTE will work fine with the existing and upgrade networks.

Your EVO3D will work great with Network Vision, and you'll see enhanced 3G speeds and slightly better coverage as well. When you upgrade your phone this year or next year, you'll get a device which will access the LTE network for 4G, and still enjoy the enhanced 3G.

You won't get LTE access on your 3VO ever.

Thanks for the reply. I am aware I will not have LTE on my phone but I tend to change phones after more than 2 years so I am curious about my phone's capabilities. My question regarding my phone really is this: As the phone supports 3g on the 800mhz band, will I ever see use there or will that band be strictly going from IDEN to LTE with no 3g support?

Thanks for the reply. I am aware I will not have LTE on my phone but I tend to change phones after more than 2 years so I am curious about my phone's capabilities. My question regarding my phone really is this: As the phone supports 3g on the 800mhz band, will I ever see use there or will that band be strictly going from IDEN to LTE with no 3g support?

Actually LTE on the 800mhz band won't be for a while (at least from what I read on this site), so you'll be fine with the 800mhz service. I'm not sure if Sprint will actually deploy EVDO (3G) on 800mhz, or stick to 1x Advanced on 800mhz.

According to information provided elsewhere on this site and in the chats, 800MHz 1xAdvanced and 800MHz LTE will be released, but Sprint hasn't planned to launch EVDO on that band. The phone being compatible with EVDO on 800 comes with the chipset built into the phone.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

The only thing that you would miss out on is the increased signal propigation that LTE over 800mhz would give. It will be years before the 2600mhz is used for offloading capacity and that will be spotty anyway. Sprint will not be restricted on capacity over 1900mhz LTE for quite some time. By the time Sprint needs to offload usage to 2600mhz in large markets, most people will be already upgrading again. Generally, if you have good coverage with 1900 EVDO, you will have good coverage with 1900 LTE and shouldn't need to worry about 800 LTE capability. It would be, however, very nice to have 800 LTE capability on a phone.

Hi all,

Future Sprint bands:

A little confused.

I'll try to answer your questions

Despite the LTE phones in 2012 only supporting 1900 MHz band, lets not forget that the 1900 MHz band is very wide from blocks A-F. Sprint will be deploying its LTE primarily in the 1900 MHz so you don't need to worry about getting slow speeds or lack of support for LTE. Reasons for not including 800 Mhz LTE and Clearwire LTE 2.5 GHz bands are primarily because the FCC hasn't approved it yet. 800 MHz LTE is still awaiting FCC approval and Sprint trying to push iDEN off the spectrum first and for Clearwire they are still working out the details with the TD-LTE GTI group for chipsets, equipment, band classes, etc.

The reasons listed above are for the Sprint nerds and techies that care about all this stuff. Truthfully, the majority of people that will get the 2012 LTE phones because they are tired of their EVO and Epic which is a crawl and Wimax eats up battery. They are ready for new phones with better specs such as screen size (4.7 inch) , processor (S4), storage space (16 or 32 GB) and the whole 800 MHz LTE and clearwire 2.5 GHz LTE is oblivious to the majority of the public.

Your EVO 3D will be able to benefit from better voice coverage indoors with Network Vision because of 800 MHz CDMA. Sprint plans to use the 800 MHz spectrum to deploy a 5x5 LTE carrier (where possible if not a 1.4x1.4 or 3x3 LTE carrier will be added) and a 1x Advanced carrier on 800 MHz. 3G at 800 MHz will not be added. This means that you won't be able to take advantage of better 3G speeds indoors with 800 MHz but to be honest who cares since LTE is the future anyways. Unfortunately Sprint barely has enough spectrum to deploy a 5x5 LTE carrier and a 1x Advanced carrier.

• Like 1

I'll try to answer your questions

Despite the LTE phones in 2012 only supporting 1900 MHz band, lets not forget that the 1900 MHz band is very wide from blocks A-F. Sprint will be deploying its LTE primarily in the 1900 MHz so you don't need to worry about getting slow speeds or lack of support for LTE. Reasons for not including 800 Mhz LTE and Clearwire LTE 2.5 GHz bands are primarily because the FCC hasn't approved it yet. 800 MHz LTE is still awaiting FCC approval and Sprint trying to push iDEN off the spectrum first and for Clearwire they are still working out the details with the TD-LTE GTI group for chipsets, equipment, band classes, etc.

The reasons listed above are for the Sprint nerds and techies that care about all this stuff. Truthfully, the majority of people that will get the 2012 LTE phones because they are tired of their EVO and Epic which is a crawl and Wimax eats up battery. They are ready for new phones with better specs such as screen size (4.7 inch) , processor (S4), storage space (16 or 32 GB) and the whole 800 MHz LTE and clearwire 2.5 GHz LTE is oblivious to the majority of the public.

Your EVO 3D will be able to benefit from better voice coverage indoors with Network Vision because of 800 MHz CDMA. Sprint plans to use the 800 MHz spectrum to deploy a 5x5 LTE carrier (where possible if not a 1.4x1.4 or 3x3 LTE carrier will be added) and a 1x Advanced carrier on 800 MHz. 3G at 800 MHz will not be added. This means that you won't be able to take advantage of better 3G speeds indoors with 800 MHz but to be honest who cares since LTE is the future anyways. Unfortunately Sprint barely has enough spectrum to deploy a 5x5 LTE carrier and a 1x Advanced carrier.

Awesome. I am crystal clear on it now. Thanks for taking the time to explain it all.

And to add to the chorus, it's the same reason why Verizon customers shouldn't freak out because their new devices don't support LTE on AWS. It would be better if Sprint supported 800 LTE and 2600 LTE now, but since those networks will not even start to come online for 14 to 18 months, it's just not a big deal.

Ironically, AT&T is the only major carrier thinking long term as their LTE devices support LTE on AWS. However, they just had to jettison a lot of their AWS spectrum to Tmo as part of the breakup. So even though AT&T devices will support LTE on AWS, they will likely not be able to deploy much of a meaningful LTE network there.

I still really like Sprint's long term spectrum position and future LTE capacity. I'm quite bullish on it. However, I think Sprint will need to complete a buy out Clearwire in the long term to completely secure their future spectrum. Although things are currently quiet and peaceful with Clearwire, Sprint is counting on their spectrum for the future. And they will need to secure it a little better...

:imo:

Robert

• Like 3

I think 2014-2015 would be a good time for Sprint to look at a total buyout of Clearwire. By then we'll see how Clearwire's LTE network is shaping up and whether their balance sheet is improving. Right now Sprint needs to focus on Network Vision and with the latest delays, they might need to infuse more cash so that the vendor crews can catch up. They just have too many things on their plate right now that any huge cash drain would really hamper Network Vision.

I think 2014-2015 would be a good time for Sprint to look at a total buyout of Clearwire. By then we'll see how Clearwire's LTE network is shaping up and whether their balance sheet is improving. Right now Sprint needs to focus on Network Vision and with the latest delays, they might need to infuse more cash so that the vendor crews can catch up. They just have too many things on their plate right now that any huge cash drain would really hamper Network Vision.

Agreed. Once iDEN is completely decommissioned and the losses written off, and Network Vision cash burn is completing, Sprint should be above the profitability threshold. Sprint will be in a completely different position come Q1-2014.

Robert

If Sprint can finalize the $2 - $3 billion Vendor financing they are working on currently, they may be able to front Clearwire more cash for their TDD-LTE deployment.

Ok. So just to be clear. Once NV hits my area 3G coverage will use the 800Mhz band? I'm seriously needing better in building coverage. As the company I work for has a huge account with Verizon there are vzw repeaters everywhere lol, makes my phone jealous

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Ok. So just to be clear. Once NV hits my area 3G coverage will use the 800Mhz band? I'm seriously needing better in building coverage. As the company I work for has a huge account with Verizon there are vzw repeaters everywhere lol, makes my phone jealous

No, Sprint will not be deploying 3G on 800mhz. It will be 1x (voice) only until Nextel is cleared off and LTE is deployed.

In 2012, Sprint starts deploying a 1xAdvanced carrier in 800 SMR during Network Vision. This allows better signal propagation for voice and 1x data for devices that are 800 CDMA capable (not the iPhone).

In Mid 2013, Sprint will start deploying 800 LTE. This will allow high speed data to have better propagation.

However, Sprint has no plans to put 3G EVDO on 800. They do not have enough spectrum to put more than 1x and LTE on 800. And in some markets, they don't have enough to even put LTE on 800 (or will have to use a smaller carrier). AJ is working on an article this week on 800 deployment info.

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Dang. I won't be seeing that for a while. What's vzw 3G building penetration?

I'm not positive, but I believe that Verizon uses 850mhz for voice and 1900mhz for data.

Dang. I won't be seeing that for a while. What's vzw 3G building penetration?

In some places where they have 850MHz, it can be very good (like here in NM). In places where thetly just use PCS (like Dallas) it is the same as Sprint.

In fact, Sprint will be better than VZW at NV sites in places where VZW only uses PCS, because Sprint is installing radios up high behind their antennas in Network Vision for an approximate 20% signal/propagation gain.

I'm not positive' date=' but I believe that Verizon uses 850mhz for voice and 1900mhz for data.[/quote']

I'm not certain of everywhere, but here in NM they have 1x and EVDO on 850MHz. I use it all the time.

I'm not certain of everywhere, but here in NM they have 1x and EVDO on 850MHz. I use it all the time.

LOL, I came back to correct myself and you beat me to it.

Edit: I believe I remember 2Ringsbr saying that they primarily use 850mhz for EVDO and only use 1900mhz in markets where they lack 850 spectrum. Of course, I can't find the post.