Why would a phone connect to a tower thats further away than one right down the street?

I asked this question because I have been noticing something kinda weird. As I sit here typing this I have 2 evo 3d's and 1 gnex sitting in front of me and all 3 phones are connected to a tower that is about a mile off to my west, if I go to the end of my street all 3 phones then switch to another tower that is about 3/4 mile to the north but there is a tower that is literally less than a 1000 feet from me that none of the phones connect to, why is that?

Edit:

I would also like to know if there is any particular reason why both evo's get subpar 3g performance in comparison to my gnex. In every case I would be lucky if I get 200kbps on either evo but on the gnex I am getting atleast 1000 to 1500 kbps using the same servers while connected to the same towers.

The tower very well may not be pointed down enough for you to connect to it. The tower's intended design may be to service an area farther away. Also have you checked the interactive map to make sure it is a Sprint tower?

I would also like to know if there is any particular reason why both evo's get subpar 3g performance in comparison to my gnex. In every case I would be lucky if I get 200kbps on either evo but on the gnex I am getting atleast 1000 to 1500 kbps using the same servers while connected to the same towers.

If you truly are on the same tower, perhaps your Evo traffic is going through a proxy.

##3282# > View Mode > Advanced > HTTP PD Proxy Address. What do you have?

• Like 1

If you truly are on the same tower, perhaps your Evo traffic is going through a proxy.

I remember disabling the proxy on my EVO 3D.

For CDMA1X, primary serving sector selection is based on Ec/Io. If the closer site is swamped or has a lower Ec/Io value -- for any reason at all -- then your device(s) will automatically switch to a neighbor PN with a higher Ec/Io value, even if that sector is farther away. Within the defined PN search window, distance itself is irrelevant. Ec/Io is what matters.

AJ

• Like 1

The tower very well may not be pointed down enough for you to connect to it. The tower's intended design may be to service an area farther away. Also have you checked the interactive map to make sure it is a Sprint tower?

Of course its a sprint tower

The proxy address is pd.vog.sprintpcs.com on both evos but I can't use any epst codes on the gnex, I used a couple different epst apks but none of them worked.

For CDMA1X, primary serving sector selection is based on Ec/Io. If the closer site is swamped or has a lower Ec/Io value -- for any reason at all -- then your device(s) will automatically switch to a neighbor PN with a higher Ec/Io value, even if that sector is farther away. Within the defined PN search window, distance itself is irrelevant. Ec/Io is what matters.

AJ

What is Ec/lo?

The proxy address is pd.vog.sprintpcs.com on both evos but I can't use any epst codes on the gnex, I used a couple different epst apks but none of them worked.

If you have your MSL, set the proxy address to 0.0.0.0 and the port to 0. Let me know what your speeds look like afterwards.

I do, I did this with my og evo and it seemed to work at the time, didn't think much of doing it again on the evo 3d. I will change the settings and let you know if it makes a difference. Also how do I get the epst codes to work on the gnex?

If you have your MSL, set the proxy address to 0.0.0.0 and the port to 0. Let me know what your speeds look like afterwards.

So what does this do? Also does this work on all of the smartphones? What is MSL and how do you get it? I have a nexus s

So what does this do? Also does this work on all of the smartphones? What is MSL and how do you get it? I have a nexus s

1) This removes Sprint's proxy server between the handset and the internet.

2) Does what work?

3) MSL is a lock code unique to each phone and required for many internal menus. You get it from the carrier or through other means (Google it).

2) Does what work?

I think darn18 is asking if the ##3282# method works on all smartphones to remove the proxy.

I only knew this worked on my Hero and EVO when I had them (HTC thing maybe?), but this doesn't work on my iPhone 4S. Anyone know how to check this stuff on the iPhone... or even how to figure out what tower my phone connects to? I've tried *3001#12345#* to put my phone in field test mode... but I couldn't find any data pertaining to the tower I was connected to

I agree' date=' I do not believe it is available on the Nexus or iPhone. But I am not sure they go through the proxy anyway.[/quote']

Yes the iPhone does go through some sort of proxy. I actually found this out by accident through facebook. Go to Account Settings/ Security/ Active sessions. It will show all server locations that your account has been accessed from.

Sent via Forum Runner on my redsn0w iOS 5.1 iPhone 4 

Edited by gopher_otis

Not sure if the Galaxy Nexus is the same or not but for my Nexus S 4G to get into those types of menus I type *#*#3282#*#*.

Then I go View>Others>Multimedia and the RSTP Proxy and Port and the HTTPPD Proxy and Port are <not set> which I assume means mine is not going through any proxy server.

I am running Cyanogenmod and a custom Kernel and I am not sure if they have access to these settings or not so I am not entirely sure they didn't get changed due to flashing roms but I kind of don't think the ROM or Kernel would change these things.

You can get your MSL by calling Sprint...they will give it to you or if you root your phone and go into terminal emulator and type "su" enter then type "getprop ril.MSL" or for HTC phones you can download an app from the market called "MSL Reader"

Edited by shifted

Not sure if the Galaxy Nexus is the same or not but for my Nexus S 4G to get into those types of menus I type *#*#3282#*#*.

Then I go View>Others>Multimedia and the RSTP Proxy and Port and the HTTPPD Proxy and Port are <not set> which I assume means mine is not going through any proxy server.

I am running Cyanogenmod and a custom Kernel and I am not sure if they have access to these settings or not so I am not entirely sure they didn't get changed due to flashing roms but I kind of don't think the ROM or Kernel would change these things.

It appears that most custom ROM's have the proxy changed. MikShifted G 2.1 has it changed to 0.0.0.0

• Like 1

Then I go View>Others>Multimedia and the RSTP Proxy and Port and the HTTPPD Proxy and Port are which I assume means mine is not going through any proxy server.

You can get your MSL by calling Sprint...they will give it to you or if you root your phone and go into terminal emulator and type "su" enter then type "getprop ril.MSL" or for HTC phones you can download an app from the market called "MSL Reader"

I called 4 different times asking for my MSL and never was given the MSL from sprint. I had to use cdma workshop on my E4GT

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I called 4 different times asking for my MSL and never was given the MSL from sprint. I had to use cdma workshop on my E4GT

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I recommend telling the rep that you want to hard reset. After ###786#, the six digit code they tell you to enter is your MSL.

Also if you are rooted just download msl reader from the market, that the easiest way to get your msl.

Also if you are rooted just download msl reader from the market, that the easiest way to get your msl.

Remember that only works on HTC CDMA handsets

btw - ur in possession of an epic sig line.

• Like 2

Remember that only works on HTC CDMA handsets

btw - ur in possession of an epic sig line.

Forgot to mention that part and yes, one of my favorite movies of all time. LOL

only works on HTC phones as far as I know. I am glad my E4GT is rooted. easier to pull up MSL in terminal

well crap, go to page 2 and its already posted. late response

Edited by JohnHovah