PCS Refarming Question

Brad The Beast

In my area Sprint owns PCS Blocks A & G. They use the G block for LTE and 5MHz of the A block for LTE. Are they using the remaining 10MHz of the A block for CDMA or only part of it? If they are using all of the remaining 10MHz, when are they going to refarm to dedicate more of the A block to LTE?

In my area Sprint owns PCS Blocks A & G. They use the G block for LTE and 5MHz of the A block for LTE. Are they using the remaining 10MHz of the A block for CDMA or only part of it? If they are using all of the remaining 10MHz, when are they going to refarm to dedicate more of the A block to LTE?
Yes the rest is on CDMA. Some areas only have 5x5 left. If yours has 10x10 there isn't any reason then can trim CDMA to the last 5x5 and do 10x10 on LTE, they have done that in other cities

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What city are you in BTW?

• Like 1

Grand Forks. 

I believe thats the same holding's as northern Minnesota totals holding of 15x15 A block and 5x5 G block. Vs South MN which is 10x10 a and 5x5 G. Accept Rochester which is 10x10 A, and 5x5 G and F. So yeah I don't know when you will be see 10x10. The very small part of SD that Sprint covers has 10x10.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

I believe thats the same holding's as northern Minnesota totals holding of 15x15 A block and 5x5 G block. Vs South MN which is 10x10 a and 5x5 G. Accept Rochester which is 10x10 A, and 5x5 G and F. So yeah I don't know when you will be see 10x10. The very small part of SD that Sprint covers has 10x10.  

Is that something that gets done whenever they get to it or are they actively working to refarm? It would be nice to have speedy band 25 since we won't be seeing band 41 for a while. 

Is that something that gets done whenever they get to it or are they actively working to refarm? It would be nice to have speedy band 25 since we won't be seeing band 41 for a while. 
That I don't know. I've been wondering the same thing about Duluth cause the lacks B41 also. However Sprint is on trackvto complete B41 but the end of spring so hopefully you can see the triband antenna And B41 there. Hopefully wider B25. Do you have a B25+25 CA device, that gives 10 mhz of download

• Like 1

Just now, Tengen31 said:

That I don't know. I've been wondering the same thing about Duluth cause the lacks B41 also. However Sprint is on trackvto complete B41 but the end of spring so hopefully you can see the triband antenna And B41 there. Hopefully wider B25. Do you have a B25+25 CA device, that gives 10 mhz of download

Yeah I get 10x5 band 25 sometimes thanks to downlink CA. Sprint doesn't own any band 41 licenses in this area currently so I don't think they'll be able to deploy it by the end of Spring. That's why I'm waiting for 10x10 LTE on block A. Then I can get 15x10 band 25 which should be pretty nice. The 10x5 band 25 caps out at 50Mbps.

Yeah I get 10x5 band 25 sometimes thanks to downlink CA. Sprint doesn't own any band 41 licenses in this area currently so I don't think they'll be able to deploy it by the end of Spring. That's why I'm waiting for 10x10 LTE on block A. Then I can get 15x10 band 25 which should be pretty nice. The 10x5 band 25 caps out at 50Mbps.
Good point. Your area is another where TMobile would benefit from Sprint. TMobile Only has 10x10 PC's total two 5x5 carriers of AWS 5x5 B12 and 20x20 B71

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

Good point. Your area is another where TMobile would benefit from Sprint. TMobile Only has 10x10 PC's total two 5x5 carriers of AWS 5x5 B12 and 20x20 B71

That explains why T-Mobile is so bad here.

1 hour ago, dro1984 said:

Hey guys.... I thought Sprint owned band 41 licenses Nationwide?  (all 50 states)??    Wow... No band 41 for North Minnesota ??   

Nope, not nationwide.  The amount they hold can vary too. They just hold a lot where it really matters.  There are still lots of BRS/EBS out there.  There is actually a bi-yearly 2.5GHz auction.

https://selectspectrum.com/sla.html

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, red_dog007 said:

There is actually a bi-yearly 2.5GHz auction.

The auction you speak of is for existing spectrum to be sold by current licensees and does not rule out other private deals.  The FCC has also begun discussions on handouts and auctions for remain BR and ED 2.5GHz spectrum, which primarily exists in areas like yours.  This was put on hold until after November 2018, likely still on hold waiting for a decision on the T-Mobile Sprint merger.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:56 AM, red_dog007 said:

Nope, not nationwide.  The amount they hold can vary too. They just hold a lot where it really matters.  There are still lots of BRS/EBS out there.  There is actually a bi-yearly 2.5GHz auction.

So will Sprint be jumping in on this auction? Or are they going to wait to see what happens down the road?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

So will Sprint be jumping in on this auction? Or are they going to wait to see what happens down the road?

From what I see, Sprint negotiates directly for the B41 deals it wants.

I would expect they would participate in an auction of new B41 spectrum run by the FCC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 6:44 AM, dro1984 said:

Hey guys.... I thought Sprint owned band 41 licenses Nationwide?  (all 50 states)??    Wow... No band 41 for North Minnesota ??   

Northern Minnesota they own B41 it's just not deployed much yet. Duluth for example. Hopefully this spring for that area finally. Hopefully 10x10B25 to

• 6 months later...

When will all of PCS go towards LTE? I know the 3G shutdown is far into the future, but they still could refarm the rest of it.

My friend has been traveling around and was running into capacity issues on LTE.  I turn LTE off when this happens and tend to get the 2Mbps on EVDO since no one is on it anymore.  So I suggested he do the same so he could at least get a little internet.  Well, there was no EVDO waiting for him, but just 1x.  I know the CDMA shutdown is near for consumers so this makes sense.  This makes me think that even their B5 is at a full 10x10 now and they are just running on a single 1x carrier.  

Sprint has there sliver of 1x 800MHz.  Even though Sprints 3G shutdown is far into the future, refarming all of PCS for LTE could give them a nice boost.  Though I guess they need to get all compatible phones enabled for VoLTE first.  

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 9:35 PM, Brad The Beast said:

Does it still show 3G in that area on the coverage map?

Is there a map source that lets you disable LTE on the legend to view just 3G coverage? But even that coverage may not differentiate between EVDO and 1x. 

16 minutes ago, red_dog007 said:

Is there a map source that lets you disable LTE on the legend to view just 3G coverage? But even that coverage may not differentiate between EVDO and 1x. 

Yep. The normal coverage map lets you do that now. You can select non-LTE which matches 3G. 1x was never on the data map.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 10:29 AM, red_dog007 said:

When will all of PCS go towards LTE? I know the 3G shutdown is far into the future, but they still could refarm the rest of it.

They have already refarmed a lot of PCS for LTE.  Most of America is down to 1 or 2 CDMA carriers.

They have already refarmed a lot of PCS for LTE.  Most of America is down to 1 or 2 CDMA carriers.
Do you know if Sprint is using the F block they got from USCC in Rochester Minnesota?

2 hours ago, Tengen31 said:

Do you know if Sprint is using the F block they got from USCC in Rochester Minnesota?

I imagine they are.  But I don't know for fact.

Robert