What is Sprint thinking releasing this?

newboyx

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/announcements/blog/2012/04/16/affordable-lenovo-ideapad-s205s-3g4g-mini-notebook-available-from-sprint-for-19999

Who in their right mind would get this on a 2 year contract?

$200 for a Wimax netbook?

In April of 2012?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

If someone lives in a WiMax coverage area and needs this type of device, then why not? If WiMax coverage is going to continue for at least another 2-3 years (into 2015), it is still be a viable option for someone who needs that connectivity now.

• Like 1

If someone lives in a WiMax coverage area and needs this type of device, then why not? If WiMax coverage is going to continue for at least another 2-3 years (into 2015), it is still be a viable option for someone who needs that connectivity now.

Fair enough.

It just seems odd to me to be rolling out anything Wimax at this point.

Fair enough.

It just seems odd to me to be rolling out anything Wimax at this point.

i hear ya, but it's probably something thats been in the plans for a while and just finally got released. If you'll notice, on Sprints website, they're frequently axing the old 4G WiMax devices. As Duffman pointed out, they just EOL'd 3 devices.. Nexus S, EVO 3D and 4G. EVO Shift is gone too.

i hear ya, but it's probably something thats been in the plans for a while and just finally got released. If you'll notice, on Sprints website, they're frequently axing the old 4G WiMax devices. As Duffman pointed out, they just EOL'd 3 devices.. Nexus S, EVO 3D and 4G. EVO Shift is gone too.

All three of your devices just got the ax, 2 of them on the same day. The EVO 4G was in the last 2 weeks.

And the EVO Shift was in the last month.

All three of your devices just got the ax, 2 of them on the same day. The EVO 4G was in the last 2 weeks.

And the EVO Shift was in the last month.

Yup, I'm sad to see em go.. but it means better things are right around the corner.

Yup, I'm sad to see em go.. but it means better things are right around the corner.

The EVO 3D still had life left on it though. Now the only EVO left is the Design 4G.

The EVO 3D still had life left on it though. Now the only EVO left is the Design 4G.

You're right.. The 3D did have some life yet... I think this makes it pretty clear that Sprint is trying to eliminate their WiMax phones.

http://community.spr...print-for-19999

Who in their right mind would get this on a 2 year contract?

$200 for a Wimax netbook?

In April of 2012?

That's crazy when you can buy a netbook for $250... if was something like macbook air with LTE would be better... probably...

Well even though that device was not around a month ago, I did buy a wimax enabled laptop on Sprint (The Dell Inspirion 11z (really a M101z updated). my review here.

It replaced my tired old HP Tablet PC which main display stopped working as well as the 3g/4g broadband usb modem. The signal from the laptop is way stronger. and I ended up getting for about $49.00. Considering that all I needed was to upgrade the memory and bam I was good to go.

As for the vga output, well my Dell laptop has one too and I actually needed that to connect to the work pcs for dual display. But it also has a hdmi port for more recent tvs/monitors. Lenovo makes very good laptops, (android tablets is another story).

Anyway going back to this device, if one is in a wimax area now and is looking for a cheap laptop, they can get their $150 discount applied to its purchase then they have a very good machine. It is also LTE capable since one can just buy the Gobi card and stick it in once LTE comes on board. That's what I plan on doing to my Dell.

TS

• Like 2