Google Pixel and Pixel XL by HTC Users Thread

WiWavelength

The posts in the preview thread added since the release of the Pixel and Pixel XL late last month have been moved to this users thread.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7532-pixel-and-pixel-xl-preview-was-fall-2016-nexus-htc-sailfish-marlin-rumors/

AJ

• 3 weeks later...

My handset was delivered this afternoon.  After unboxing and topping off the battery, Sprint online activation sailed through without a hitch, opting to reuse the universal 3-1 in one CSIM UICC from my Nexus 5X.  The online activation tool automatically recognized the IMEI/MEID as that of a Google Pixel XL.  In my online account manager, the active device and its avatar even immediately updated to the Google Pixel XL, correct color and storage options.

Other observations...

The AMOLED screen has a green cast in off angle viewing.  It probably is PenTile.

The engineering screens and other hidden system apps are accessible via the usual dialer codes as well as SignalCheck Pro shortcuts.  The CDMA1X engineering screen is borked, no readout even while in call.  The LTE engineering screen is standard issue for HTC.

fan3n4.png

AJ

• Like 7

My handset was delivered this afternoon.  After unboxing and topping off the battery, Sprint online activation sailed through without a hitch, opting to reuse the universal 3-1 in one CSIM UICC from my Nexus 5X.  The online activation tool automatically recognized the IMEI/MEID as that of a Google Pixel XL.  In my online account manager, the active device and its avatar even immediately updated to the Google Pixel XL, correct color and storage options.

Other observations...

The AMOLED screen has a green cast in off angle viewing.  It probably is PenTile.

The engineering screens and other hidden system apps are accessible via the usual dialer codes as well as SignalCheck Pro shortcuts.  The CDMA1X engineering screen is borked, no readout even while in call.  The LTE engineering screen is standard issue for HTC.

AJ

How does it seem to appear in comparison to your 5X for signal strength?  I know you just received it, but I figured I'd ask.  Not a ton of reviews about this phone in reference to actual phone calls / reception that I found online so far.

How does it seem to appear in comparison to your 5X for signal strength?

My very limited, highly anecdotal impression thus far is that band 41 signal strength and retention are not quite as good as on the Nexus 5X.  I can do direct comparisons with the Nexus 5, Nexus 5X, and 2014 Moto X tonight or tomorrow.

AJ

• Like 4

My very limited, highly anecdotal impression thus far is that band 41 signal strength and retention are not quite as good as on the Nexus 5X.  I can do direct comparisons with the Nexus 5, Nexus 5X, and 2014 Moto X tonight or tomorrow.

AJ

Appreciate the quick feedback.  I'd love to see the comparisons of all devices, whenever you get a chance.

Appreciate the quick feedback.  I'd love to see the comparisons of all devices, whenever you get a chance.

I am in a well deployed band 41 market, so that has limited my experience. But I am going to the library tonight.  Because of its construction, the library typically is a CDMA1X 800 zone.  That should be a good test in a challenging RF environment.

AJ

• Like 1

SRLTE and low band, for the win.  By holding on to band class 10 and band 26 both, the Pixel XL survives the library challenge better to my recollection than has any other recent handset.  In fact, I am posting this on band 26 from the library.

AJ

• Like 17

This was my experience as well. I also used a universal SIM (I had to call four stores before I found one with it in stock). The Sprint website recognized the device as a Pixel (regular) immediately upon entering the IMEI/MEID. Very smooth transition, including Sprint Google Voice integration.

• Like 6

time for a user thread?  and where to put it, under htc or google, eh.  :ninja:

Staff created a user thread weeks in advance.  Presently, it is hidden but will get reopened and posts relocated to it tonight.

AJ

• Like 1

Does the Sprint activated Pixel have wifi calling?

Nvm, found on reddit - mtcii - confirmed it wasn't activated...shame :unsure:

It's a tragedy. :( The phone is the most gimped on Sprint for sure

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just got my Pixel XL and upgraded from Nexus 6P reusing the old SIM.  Sprint online activation was fast and smooth.  It's a shame it's taken this long, but glad not have to chat with international support.

I chose not to copy settings from the 6P, since I suspect some settings might be responsible for miserable battery life that I have.  Plus, i wanted to re-evaluate the decision on all the apps.

However, does anyone know if I can selectively copy the Wi-Fi networks from the old phone?

I believe it's all or nothing.

For what it's worth, I also switched from the 6P to the Pixel XL today. It's the first time the online activation has ever worked for me. So far battery life seems drastically better, and I migrated everything over via USB. A lot of app data unsurprisingly didn't copy over (only ones that backup to Drive and are compiled targeting M or higher), but all my settings did. All media (images, audio, etc) copied, but not other files on internal storage. Some apps restored with data (such as Tapatalk) but had broken notifications until I signed out then signed in again.

Only my primary Google account copied over. I had to manually add my other accounts, but it at least then "remembered" the sync settings after adding it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have noticed, at least in Pittsburgh, while walking through by the park it will randomly drop from strong B41 to B26 (with an rsrp in the -60s). It really doesn't seem to like B25, unlike my 6P.

I did a test and disabled B41, and the phone locked on B26 and refused to budge. I didn't run a speed test, but it felt overloaded. I then eventually disabled B26 as well and then finally got on B25 10x10 carrier, got around 20mbps down and up.

My 6P would often load balance off of B41 onto 10x10 B25 because it's faster at times. So it seems Sprint still has some optimizing to do with the Pixel.

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 2

Looks like the those using the stock Google Messenger app for SMS on Pixel now get RCS support on Sprint:

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-messenger-rcs-726627/

Has anyone played with this on their Pixel?

Was hoping to see it active for me, but alas it's not there yet. Typical Google rollout, probably 5-10% of users per day will get it enabled with a server side switch.

I didn't realize Samsung devices have had it for a while. Does this also mean picture and video quality will be better sent via RCS than with MMS?

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 1

Was hoping to see it active for me, but alas it's not there yet. Typical Google rollout, probably 5-10% of users per day will get it enabled with a server side switch.

I didn't realize Samsung devices have had it for a while. Does this also mean picture and video quality will be better sent via RCS than with MMS?

Sent from my Pixel XL

Good question, does it mean that above?

Sent from my Pixel XL

Samsung has had RCS support built into their stock app for some time now. However the fact that Samsung devices as well as Nexus/Pixel device on Sprint are getting this notification about RCS at the same time indicates to me that this is a rollout on Sprint's side as opposed to Google managing it.

Also yeah, RCS should provide better picture and video quality though there may still be a size limit. I know on T-Mobile RCS messaging, you can't send files larger than 10MB.

• Like 4

Samsung has had RCS support built into their stock app for some time now. However the fact that Samsung devices as well as Nexus/Pixel device on Sprint are getting this notification about RCS at the same time indicates to me that this is a rollout on Sprint's side as opposed to Google managing it.

Also yeah, RCS should provide better picture and video quality though there may still be a size limit. I know on T-Mobile RCS messaging, you can't send files larger than 10MB.

I still remember those damn size limits on my EVO.  Limit was 2MB for MMS, but god forbid my photo ends up 2100KB, it'll get shrunk by the app down to 20KB.  I ended up retaking photos at slightly lower res to get things through.

On my Pixel, i actually switched to using Facebook for SMS.  This at least cuts down the number of messaging apps I need to use, plus it's easy to send bigger videos via FB rather than MMS.  Next question is whether FB Messenger supports RCS too?

• Like 1

Next question is whether FB Messenger supports RCS too?

Maybe after Release 2 of the Universal Profile, after the APIs are available? My hope is for that to be the case and see RCS support in Textra. Just not enough features in Messenger comparatively speaking, although RCS is YUGE.

• Like 1