2015 S4GRU Yahoo College Football Pickem group

PythonFanPA

I did this here back in 2013, but events last year had me too busy to start up another or participate...but I decided to get an early start on things and get it going again, because it was a great deal of fun before.  For those who weren't around 2 years ago, this is mostly just for the fun of playing against fellow members who also happen to be college football fans, but as I'll detail at the end, there's also a bit of incentive thrown in to help make it a little interesting.

For the signup information, people who are basic S4GRU Sponsor level or higher, you may click here for details:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7128-2015-s4gru-yahoo-college-football-pickem-group-signup-information/

If you wish to play but are not yet a Sponsorsend me a private message through the forums, and I'll be happy to send you the signup information that way.

I obviously can't force everyone to do this, but I request that you please use your S4GRU member nickname when you sign up so everyone knows who everyone else is.  This is especially important if you're playing for the sponsorship winnings.

The parameters for the group are the same as the last time we played, which are:

(a.) straight up picks
(b.) confidence points are used (i.e., you assign the higher points to the picks you're more confident about, and the smaller points are assigned to picks you feel the least confident in)
(c.) Everyone's two worst weeks as the season progresses are discarded from the overall point total calculations
(d.) A combination of both AP Top 25 and weekly Yahoo game picks are used for the roster of picks each week

Finally, once again, as an added incentive to play, particularly for those who are either newer members, or otherwise haven't made it to Premier or Honored Premier status yet:  I will personally donate $50 to the site at the end of the year in the name of the winner.

There's roughly 26 days until the likely first game of the Week 1 slate (there's often a Friday night game involved), so there should be ample time for people to join up prior to then.  Here's to a fun, healthy competition, and good luck everyone!

• Like 5

I'm interested. PM me details to join. I believe Thursday has North Carolina vs South Carolina and Jim Harbaugh's debut on the road against Utah.

Oh, and Vanderbilt's Thursday game may interest you as well with you being from TN and all. Derek Mason is a loser.

That is all.

First game of week one will probably be a Friday night game...there are occasional weeks where there isn't a Friday night game or two on the slate, but that normally happens well into the season.   Using the Yahoo game picks as part of the pool usually gets at least one Friday game in there.  So, to answer your question, probably September 4th. 

Also just to underscore how the deadlines work, you have up to 5 minutes before each game to submit a pick and assign confidence points to each game.  So even if you forget and miss out on the Friday night games one week, you can still get the majority of your picks in prior to the first round of Saturday games and just use all but #'s 1 & 2 for confidence points and take very little hit if any depending on the week's results.

• Like 1

I still prefer ATS but this is fun too.

Me too. But I don't really want to have a Vegas relapse.

Without the spread, never bet against the SEC. ACC and BigTen have more upset prone teams. And the Pac12 is usually solid.

Nobody cares about the Big12. They're highly overrated and prone to lose against stiff competition due to their lack of defense.

Good luck gentleman!

Is this Fantasy Football?  Never tried playing it before.

No, just picking game winners and assigning confidence points based on how sure, or unsure, you are that the team you're picking will win.

Fantasy Football would be difficult here, depending on how many people wanted to try and play together.  Chances are strong there'd be enough interest that would necessitate multiple leagues, and it's not as much fun (to me at least) if everyone isn't swimming in the same virtual pool, so to speak.

• Like 1

3 weeks from tonight is the start of the season (as far as the games that would be involved in Pick'em that is)....there's 8 of us playing thus far, and plenty of room for more.  Get onboard while you can!

• Like 2

Your son old enough to play (or care) as well?

My eldest son is definitely old enough.  But has about zero interest in Football.  I failed as a Dad.  :hah:

You've been raising him in the wrong geographical locations. If he'd been in SEC country he'd have had no choice. ;)

Well, dont foget about that small weird fanbase of the ACC. Every SEC household has one of those odd sheeps that like Clemson, FSU, or even worse, Georgia Tech and its triple option.

You've been raising him in the wrong geographical locations. If he'd been in SEC country he'd have had no choice. ;)

Yeah, he's been raised in Nevada, New Mexico and South Dakota. None are really known for their football. NCAA or NFL.

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

Just barely over a week away from Week 1 and we still only have 11 people total - there's plenty of room for others to join in the fun.

Especially those of you who either haven't been able to donate to become a member or otherwise haven't reached the higher membership levels, if you enjoy football at all and enjoy the limited information you've been exposed to here thus far, there's even more information you could potentially access if you were to play and come out on top in this.  If you enjoy football at all, give it a shot!

• Like 1

Just a little over 24 hours left before the first game deadline for Week 1's slate of picks.....anyone else that wants to play and have the best shot at winning, especially non-members and regular members wanting a chance to get closer if not attain an easy S4GRU membership upgrade, sign up now!  

I'm about to start working through my picks right now while watching Gamecocks vs Tarheels myself.  :tu:

Apparently, BYU will

Me and Mrs. S4GRU have our picks in!  Who will win Week 1??

Apparently BYU.  Holy freaking guacamole....how in the name of defensive football did at least one of the 3 guys covering that receiver not have the sense to get in front of him?  They just gave the game away. sFun_doh2%5B1%5D.gif